Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 2:02:20 PM EDT
Looking into one of these pistols and would like some opinions in regards to RELIABILITY, accuracey and quality.   I'm considering one of the 3.4" or 4" models.   If you've owned one let me know what you think.......
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine! Very accurate. Very reliable. Cycles with almost any ammo. Had a little trouble with subsonic Aguilla, but the gun was new at the time. Trigger takes some getting used to. Top quality.

Well, the only thing I really don't like is the magazine cutout thingie. Lame!!!

And the ambiguity of having a threaded barrel on a California pistol. The JBTs now have an excuse to kick in my door.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh.

Its a $160 gun sold for $300.

Mine had all the classic issues:

1.  Barrel nut comes loose (loktite fixes).

2.  Safety walks "on" during shooting.  (Still an issue from time to time).

3.  Roll pins (espec in slide) walk about.

4.   Trigger ain't great.

They're made with all MIM parts, and the slide is MIM zinc.  Pretty cheapo.  

Its still a  very FUN pistol, and my favorite for plinking or informal carry in the woods when I can't bring anything with more stones.  (I like it because of the D.A. and exposed hammer).  

But it's not a Mark II and the quality is  certainly not worthy of the "Walther" brand, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems with mine, I have a can coming in a month or two and plan on buying their little laser for it soon! [3.4" model]

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a little ammo senstitive.  Loves the Remington golden 22s.  Very light and easy to carry.  Better then a 25acp anyday.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
here is a good site about the p22 with fixes for what can go wrong with them  click on the p22 on the page  www.sju.edu/~bc165187/
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two of them (both are the 3.4" model).  Both had feeding an extracting issues until I had put about 500 rounds through them.  Now, they are very reliable.  Very fun and good-looking plinkers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
After 500 did it just clear up?  Sounds like maybe needs to be broken in a little
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I find it to be pretty average. I also have the AA can for it. The build quality is nothing like my Baretta, or my Browning 22s.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
After 500 did it just clear up?  Sounds like maybe needs to be broken in a little

Yep.  Even from others, I have heard similar results - feeding and general reliability issues until it reached the 500 or 1000 mark...

I paid $300 for my first P22, right after they came out, and $230 for my second P22 - brand new at a gunshow about 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
They do look nice with a can on......
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had mine sent back to Walthers because in DA the hammer would not fall but 3/4 of the way, SA it would go all the way and fire. But other than that I love to take it to the range, it’s a fun little gun to shoot. I taught my sister-in-law to shoot with it as well. I'm happy with that purchase. Shop around, bought mine for $230.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Wife bought one with both barrels.  Never a problem but I only has probably 200rds. through it.  Sadly she kept it in the divorce.  They used to sell them for $199 here but now they are considered an "assault weapon" by the CA DOJ thanks to the threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine has only had a few feeding problems, occasionally the slide won't feed the next round when it returns forward, which I think is due to the lips on one of my magazines.  The barrel lug does work loose on mine and the trigger feels mushy to me.  Still, for $230, I like it.  It took some practice, but I'm happy with my accuracy when shooting it, and it goes bang 98-99% of the time, which to me is fine for a plinker.  Now I just need to get a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
mine was a jam-o-matic. I polished hell out of the feed ramp and tried fiddling with the magazine lips, all to no avail.

I finally called the factory and the nice people from Smith and Wesson (?) which I still can't figure out, sent me a pre-paid fedex envelope and I sent it back.   They said it was under recall  so it was all paid for.

I got it back with two different mags and they said they did something to the barrel but I can't see anything.  I ran 5 mags through it last night and it's smooth as anything else.  The only real hinderance is the sights, the sights are pretty rough for precision work.

The sights on my 22/45 target are a lot better and consequently I get better groups with it.  I'm getting a can for mine too and that should up the fun factor considerably

I like it overall,  mine was a gift from a friend and it's the 5 1/4 inch target model.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried one ... and although it's heavier, I like this more:

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Love it . Mine is at 5 K right now , and it has some interesting wear on it . There is a guy on here with one that has 12 K or so thru it and his has about the same amount of wear on it . My pins don't walk . The saftey will walk if you don't screw it down right . Same with the barrel nut . I replaced the front sight with one of those hi viz ones .
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had lots of problems with mine since I got it.  I also the 3.4 and the 5 barrel.  Fails to feed with all 3 mags, jams, wont always fire.  Im considering getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I think Ii may pick one up. I need a good .22 pistol, womenz don't like to shoot my .45 and I need something for them to shoot, if they are gonna want to come back to the range.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#20]
My only problem is that Smith & Wesson touches them.

MT
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

home.wi.rr.com/davef/ruger2.jpg

I likes mine too, KMK10 and accurate as hell. Is it me or is the Beretta U22 Neos fugly?

Looks too much like a pellet gun
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#22]
If you pick up a current production model, it'll come with the updated mags, and the updated springs.  You shouldn't have too much trouble now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I likes mine too, KMK10 and accurate as hell. Is it me or is the Beretta U22 Neos fugly?
www.sju.edu/~bc165187/navpics/badinox.jpg

Damn that looks bad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.sju.edu/~bc165187/navpics/badinox.jpg

Damn that looks bad.

also reminds me of a Startrek phaser
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I miss my p22 i had, it came with 3.5" barrel and got a 5" for it . It was part of the old run never had a problem with it ,Im thinking about getting another one
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a used one and it was a jamomatic (probably why the guy got rid of it) So I sent it back to S&W and it ran fine after that but I still sold it shortly after that. It really liked the hot stuff i.e. stingers,mini mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Mice beware.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My only problem is that Smith & Wesson touches them.

MT

I bought one NIB when they first came out. I didnt realize this until I got it home and was reading the paperwork.

Jammomattic, sold it week two or three of ownership.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like its time for another MKII.  I got rid of it in a trade and regreting it now.  Although it was heavier (5" bull bbl) it never gave me a problem and ran on anything.  Sorry Smith
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#31]
i like mine
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I got one of the slate-blue frame P22s with both barrels.  Paid something like $330 NIB/OTD at a gunshow.

Mine has shot everything I've put in it from really old ammo to CCIs to Super-X to cheap Wally World bulk-pack stuff.  Mine also came with the newer -A magazines which were supposed to fix a feeding problem with the pre-A mags.  I haven't had any problems so far with parts coming loose other than the barrel nut (which I think the directions say to fire it a bit to warm it up and then tighten it again).  Usually only gets loose once in the beginning.

When they work right, they are fun little pistols.  Accuracy is pretty decent with the P22 group size being only slightly larger than my Ruger MkII group size (from a rest).  I even got one of those bridge-mounts and put a little red-dot on it but that's more for fun that accuracy.

The trigger does feel crappy and for that matter, the overall pistol feels kinda cheap.  I'm not talking the plastic frame, but more so the slide and some parts that look and feel more like die-cast metal than something you'd find on a "real" pistol.  Put it this way: my MkII looks and feels like it will outlive me.  My P22 looks and feels like I will outlive it.  The crappy trigger MAY be due to the magazine safety which usually adversely affects the trigger feel.  Perhaps this can be tuned/removed to improve the pull.

Still, I like it and think it's a great little pistol and fun to shoot.  If in 10 or so years it gives out I'll still feel I got my money's worth.

LL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top