Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:39:42 AM EDT
I copied this from the Outdoor Wire dated Feb 2nd.
BUYING:
Venerable firearms brand Colt's defense division has been sold to General Dynamics. The purchase preempts a public offering for that portion of the Colt company. The consumer portion of the bifurcated company (consumer/defense), is also being sold, with sources telling The Outdoor Wire the deal is "all-but-done". A total of eleven potential suitors were said to have been kicking the tires on the venerable brand. The winner may shock most of the firearms industry - as well as the other bidders.
Well here you go. Those who thought Colt didn't give a S**T about civilian customers are right! Don't think GD sells anything on the civilian market. Colt commercial is also being sold. Wonder who is buying that division.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Colt commercial is also being sold. Wonder who is buying that division.

I heard it was Bushmaster. You think that would make the Prozac consumption in the US go up a little? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster would be a good guess but I don't think so! Gee S&W said they will be making ARs. Well here goes another Connecticut business.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have thought there would be more replies about this Colt story. We have Colt lovers and haters on this forum! Whatca think?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder how much Colt Commercial would cost? Group buy?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you imagine if Ruger or Remington bought Colt Commercial.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]
So what does this mean exactly.  Does this mean we might see unneutered new civilian M4s and AR15s made to colt specs.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this a good thing or a bad thing
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thing or bad. Wouls knows at this point. Maybe Colt commerical will start making revolvers again and non politically correct Match Targets.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I look no further than the "proudly sponsored by:" section at the top of each page for my AR rifle and rifle component needs.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard it was Bushmaster. You think that would make the Prozac consumption in the US go up a little? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Attention Colt Commercial buyer:

Please, please, please start making the .380's, Pocket Nine, and D-frame revolvers again.

That is all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I suspect that GD has enough clout to tell .gov to kiss-off on sales to civilians.  Its one of those "when you owe the bank a lot, you own the bank" type deals.  .gov can't exactly replace GD, as it is one of the few companies that can do what it does.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Frankly, if you get rid of the Defense Division it doesn’t strike me there’s much left.

I’m also wondering if there’s tooling for making M16/AR’s both in the Defense Division and the commercial side.

And I’m wondering where LE sales is going.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Colt name moving to Texas, or – even slightly worse ()– being stamped on firearms made in Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Colt name moving to Texas, or – even slightly worse ()– being stamped on firearms made in Mexico.

Maybe the quality will go back up...  
IT"S A JOKE!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I suspect that GD has enough clout to tell .gov to kiss-off on sales to civilians.  Its one of those "when you owe the bank a lot, you own the bank" type deals.  .gov can't exactly replace GD, as it is one of the few companies that can do what it does.

That strikes me as wishful thinking.

It is far more likely GD will not want to be bothered with civilian sales and the Colt name will be sold off for someone else to use in the civilian market.

My guess is Colt other than name only is effectively dead as a civilian maker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I wish some enterprising AMERICAN OWNED COMPANY would buy winchester, as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I seriously doubt this is true.  Makes no business sense for GD.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#19]
They bought them again?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought Toad was buying COLT or was that HK.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would have thought there would be more replies about this Colt story. We have Colt lovers and haters on this forum! Whatca think?

We also have (I'm not kidding) firearms forums
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=29&t=149397
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I read that GD is purchased Saco Defense Corp., a subsidiary of Colt Defense, in May 2000.

Have NOT heard that they are now buying Colt Defense itself.

This would be all over defense Industry news. How come I can't find anything on it?

I will believe this when I see it reported by a signficant defense news outlet, "outdoor Wire" is not one of those.

If  www.defenseindustrydaily.com and www.defensenews.com doesn't report it, I doubt the veracity of this story. They usually report any new defense aquisition as soon as it is confirmed.

It could be true, but I have seen no real evidence yet so i'm not going to go out and put a bunch of LE6920 carbines on my credit card just yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Does this mean the state of Conn. is out the door?

If so, GOOD!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard it was Bushmaster.

I heard Bushmaster was going up for sell.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They own the rights to the XM8. Perhaps they want to start actually making them?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I like heard stuff, and stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#28]
So does GD want to make a ton of money selling AR-15's to the world civilian market with full-auto and burst settings?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

GD has been buying up a lot of folks lately. Anteon just recently. They seem to be getting more into the ground warfare side of things in a very diversified fashion by buying out a whole lot of companies.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GD has been buying up a lot of folks lately. Anteon just recently. They seem to be getting more into the ground warfare side of things in a very diversified fashion by buying out a whole lot of companies.

Betcha a gold membership?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey Garand_Shooter, I'll take that action too if you're willing to offer it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#34]
- crickets -
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im not that sure, I just know they have been aquiring a whole lot of other companies as of late so this does not strike me as odd. But then again my biggest interaction with GD for the last year has been telling thier FSR's in a new way every day how one of thier products needs to be improved or bitching about them not getting me parts or usable manuals.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im not that sure

I am.  :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is far more likely GD will not want to be bothered with civilian sales and the Colt name will be sold off for someone else to use in the civilian market.

Did you guys read the story?  The consumer/general public side is being sold seperately.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you guys read the story?  The consumer/general public side is being sold seperately.

Yes, but I believe that the LE rifles are made by Colt Defense.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What has that to do with the consumer division being sold seperately?

Actually, if GD does sell to LE, they ARE selling to civilians.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point was that Colt, as a relatively small company, has always been at the mercy of .gov because the lions share of its work was the M4 contract.  Now, GD obviously has strong ties to .gov as well, but .gov needs them far more than they need any single small arms manufacturer.  I hope this means that GD will take a more liberal/less PC attitude with regards to sale of LEO models to everyone.  There is a huge market out there for Colt LE rifles, and GD may be less timid in entering that market than Colt was.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#43]
The market cap of GD is over $23 billion.  Do you think the relatively small amount of money it would make selling EBRs to the masses is worth it for them?  GD has no stomach for the perception that it sells evil assault weapons to civilians.    
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The market cap of GD is over $23 billion.  Do you think the relatively small amount of money it would make selling EBRs to the masses is worth it for them?  GD has no stomach for the perception that it sells evil assault weapons to civilians.    

Yeah, but they're going to want each division to be profitable.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have bought it.  More aggresive marketing of Colt LE rifles is easy money.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Ares is buying them. New models will be forthcoming next year. Swear to god. You can send a deposit if you like...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Interesting rumor:
michaelbane.blogspot.com/2006/02/colt-sold-industry-roiling-before-shot.html
Not about GD but about commercial Colt.  

I'm mostly interested in their handguns.   According to the above rumor blog thing, the impacts could potentially be significant on their pistol production.  I'd like to see the possiblities and likelyhood discussed more.  Unfortunately where I'd like to see it discussed (1911forum.com, because they seem to get better info, e.g. one guy just toured Colt and the Colt Marketing Director posts there) but a JBT mod named dsk keeps locking all related posts 'cause he doesn't want to believe it.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point was that Colt, as a relatively small company, has always been at the mercy of .gov because the lions share of its work was the M4 contract.  Now, GD obviously has strong ties to .gov as well, but .gov needs them far more than they need any single small arms manufacturer.  I hope this means that GD will take a more liberal/less PC attitude with regards to sale of LEO models to everyone.  There is a huge market out there for Colt LE rifles, and GD may be less timid in entering that market than Colt was.  

Name me ONE product the General Dynamics sell to the public.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Name me ONE product the General Dynamics sell to the public.

Do you think they are just going to terminate their profitable LE line?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Colt sux.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top