Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 8:28:06 AM EDT
A senior member with the name GeneStoner.  Any relation to the Eugene Stoner?  If not, sounds like a ripoff of a good name.

For those of you who don't know, Eugene Stoner worked with Armalite (hence AR in AR15) to develop first the AR10 then the AR15, and then developed the Stoner line of weapons used by Navy Seals in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Too bad I thought of it first, huh?  [}:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You devil, you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw the history of the AR15 recently on History Channel. I think they said he died before the M16 rifle went into full production.

His genuis was the application of lightweight aluminum alloy and plastic/fiberglass materials in the design of a military rifle.

They said the ARMY tried to kill the AR. If it hadn't been for the Air Force the AR might never have seen military service.

At the time Armalite was a division of Fairchild  Aircraft. Classic transfer of technology from one discipline to another.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Eugene Stoner passed away only a few years ago, 1997 I think.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Too bad I thought of it first, huh?  [}:)]
View Quote

Ok, you win this one.  Nice name, glad you appreciate it.

[kill]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Eugene Stoner (a former WWII Marine) died in 1997 from Cancer.

His AR15 was originally developed for the 7.72 NATO round (the AR10) Also his AR18 or AR180 and the Stoner 63 were all originally chambered for 7.62 NATO before he came out with an identical design for the 5.56 Nato round.

Eugene Stoner was bright and innovative. The AR15/M16 was NOT his best design...(that would be reserved for the Stoner 63 system and the AR180 which were improvements over the AR15 design.)

Stoner was a good designer...perhaps as good as John Garand. Certainly a better designer than Garand when it came to innovative designs..though not as good when it came to reliability.

And of course John Moses Browning (father of the Browning M2 Machinegun, BAR, 1911, 1892 Winchester Repeating Rifle, Browning Auto 5 shotgun, Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun, Browning Hi Power, etc etc. [the list is too long for me to write])
stood head and shoulders above Garand, Stoner, Kalashnikov, Gaston Glock, Simonov, etc.

I wonder what kind of Rifle Browning would build if he were alive today ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top