Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 3:34:59 AM EDT
'Star Trek the Previous Generation' now in production

(TV GUIDE) - CBS confirmed today that it is currently meticulously recreating brand new episodes of the original 1960's Star Trek series. Sources say that identical celebrity look-alike actors are cast as Captain Kirk, Dr McKoy, Mr Spock, the whole crew. 34 year old Jeremy Henson, chosen to play the role of Scotty says he's a big time fan of the original show and went on to add ..

"I was blessed to be born an almost identical clone of James Dugan. There were several other Scotty look-alikes auditioning for the part in January. I guess I did the best 'She's gonna BLOW Captain' line so CBS hired me".

Keith Jules, select to play Dr McCoy seems to confirm the cast selection process ..

"I too look exactly like one of the actors, DeForest Kelley. Again many auditioned but when I put on my best straight face, arched a brow, looked right into that camera and went,
'He's DEAD Jim' I think that's when the deal was sealed.

CBS programming executives say that the hardest role to cast was that of Captain James T Kirk. Lee Mason, director of casting said,

"William Shatner is a hard one to clone. Sure we auditioned dozens of almost perfect VISUAL replicas of him but it's extremely difficult to find someone who has the subtle vocal inflections and over-the-top melodramatic take on life that William has. After months of searching we finally discovered Keith Waterstrom. It's truly amazing. He looks and acts more like Shatner than Shatner does. Keith can make a salt and pepper spill seem like the end of life as we know it on planet earth. That's our Kirk."

Special effects, sources say, will be .. "cheesy".

"We are attempting to recreate the exact look, feel and yes, cheese of the original 1960's series .. ship, tricorders, Federation, bridge, shuttle craft, Kahn, replicators, 'Go forth and prosper', everything Trek and Rodenberry. Sometimes in fact if you look real closely at our Starship Enterprise you'll actually see the string it's hanging from in the studio. We think fans will love the nostalgia AND, as Mr Chekov would say,
'The Klingon Vzessels'".

Special Effects artists say that the show could be quite profitable. One set coordinator said,

"We don't have to really design and build too many props these days. We've found for example that a simple Samsung SPH-i500 flip phone, from a distance looks exactly like a 23rd century Star Trek communicator. Our people will just flip one of those puppies open when they go 'Beam me up Scotty'.

CBS is banking on reaching a generation of die hard Star Trek fans who remember, yes, REMEMBER Lieutenant Uhura whose sole job was to dress up in an official Star Fleet mini-skirt and go "All hailing frequencies open Captain", AND a starship so ludicrously dangerous that it's Warp-Core was always 2 seconds away from breaching AND a galaxy so chuck plum full of alien life that if a planet did not have English speaking Harvard eduated alien life forms on it Kirk, by God wanted to know why before proceeding to violate every known directive of the Prime Directive then violate them again just to make sure they'd been violated.

"The list is endless" CBS says, "and the stories and memories are timeless. Life on the Enterprise was NOT easy. We intend to kill off a lot more characters this time, not just those poor low ranking Ensigns who dared show their face on camera and get picked to go on an Away team with Kirk."
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This for the people that think the Ford Pinto is "nostalgia".
3 episodes before it goes down in flames.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds cool, but it will tank.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
One, I'm calling shennanigens.

Two, this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think its going to suck hardcore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Where's that BS meter pic...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
No Way. They're only keeping enterprise afloat long enough to get it into syndication.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
bump
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
It's from The Spoof.

Nice try though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#11]

but then again, seeing what other crap someone has blown conned some network exec. into airing.....

besides, everyone knows that the best scifi stuff happened "a long, long time ago.."
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Got a couple of people.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top