Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 7:11:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2003 7:13:17 AM EDT by Da_Bunny]
...white males are getting pushed out of the workplace.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20031222-091120-7505r.htm

CHICAGO, Dec. 22 (UPI) -- For the first time since tracking began 20 years ago, U.S. women outnumber men in higher paying, white collar managerial and professional occupations.

The gap will continue because of a self-perpetuating cycle of workplace gains for women, according to international outplacment firm Chicago-based Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

"As a growing number move into upper management roles, those further down the ladder will reap the benefits by increasingly being targeted for advancement," said John A. Challenger, chief executive officer of Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

Bureau of Labor Statistics data indicates that, as of Nov. 30, women represent 50.6 percent of the 48 million employees in management, professional and related occupations.

In 1983, the first year the government began recording gender data for its occupational statistics, women accounted for 40.9 percent of managers and professionals.

"At the computer, women are just as productive as men," said Challenger. "This fact alone has opened up a world of opportunity for women and is bringing an end to outdated concepts like the glass ceiling."

So go ahead, Vote Democrat. Help those women and affirmative action minorities take your job.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:32:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:38:34 AM EDT
That report shows the danger of looking at a single variable.  IMO, the reason more women are in management, is because we've become a friggin' service economy, where women thrive.  Look at your average Customer Service department, and what do you see?  Their managers come from within that same industry, so they are most likely women too.  The corporate ladder is climbed from there...

As more companies sell pure services or primarily sell goods manufactured offshore, this trend will continue.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:39:23 AM EDT
Some people have a pestimistic view of their country and themselves......

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:17:23 AM EDT
Driftpunch, if you really believe that this is solely due to us sliding into a service economy you are in denial.
I am fortunate enough to continue to work in the manufacturing sector, but it is just a matter of time before I get hit.
We are shrinking, there is more than a little activity being expended towards growth in woman and minority representation in big business, and since I see it up close and firsthand, also in our related government programs.
White males are definitely in the way of government and social mandated agenda's, and it is responsible for decidedly unfair rationalizations.
My advice to any white male with ability is to get in, get your experience, then get out and go it on your own. If you stay in industry, or in government you will be fighting an uphill battle. I’m not stating that you can’t make it, only that it is a stacked deck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:34:48 PM EDT
...and it's ALL [b]Sgtar15[/b]'s fault.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:46:24 PM EDT
No kidding, just look at all the CEOs of Fortune 100 companies.  Holy crap, there's at least two of them!!  To the lifeboats everyone.

Whatever. [rolleyes]

"Professional and related" occupations here is the key to understanding this statistic.  That may include all sorts of categories (like nurses, airline attendants and dental assistants, and who knows what else?).

You'd really have to see what (and how they measured) before you can interpret the 50.6 percent number.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:18:56 PM EDT
Ha! You think its funny.

I had to sleep with a lot of women to get where I am today.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:24:15 PM EDT
Heck, my boss the last 19 years is a woman.  Uh, hold on guys.

(Whats that dear?  Just chatting with the guys.  Chores?  Yes dearest one.)

Sorry guys.  Gotta run

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:40:44 PM EDT
If all those damn women were at home taking care of their husbands and kids, where they belong, we wouldn't have to worry about that shit!!

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:20:38 PM EDT
No kidding, just look at all the CEOs of Fortune 100 companies. Holy crap, there's at least two of them!! To the lifeboats everyone.
View Quote

Yea, you're right, nothing to worry about. But when President Clinton takes office in 2008, your non-gun-owning ass will be a stay-at-home bitch too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:51:57 PM EDT
It will be interesting to see the consequences in a generation or so as the caucasian population implodes.
Top Top