Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 7:00:13 AM EDT
[url=http://www.arizonarepublic.com/news/articles/0416azscotus16.html][b]U.S. ruling may free sex predators[/b][/url]
[i]
The Supreme Court handed a man held in an Arizona mental hospital a victory Monday that could force the state to release nearly 150 rapists and child molesters who have been deemed a risk to the public.

In July, the Arizona Supreme Court upheld the law that allows sexual predators to be civilly committed and confined indefinitely if the convict has shown a history of sexual violence and is determined to be a future threat.

But, without comment, the U.S. Supreme Court threw out that ruling Monday and ordered the Arizona court to reconsider the case in light of the high court's ruling in January involving a similar Kansas statute.

In the Kansas case, the court determined that confining inmates beyond their sentence is appropriate only if the offender is unable to control his sexual impulses.

The Arizona case involved Leon G., who a jury determined was a sexual predator under Arizona law and a judge ordered committed to the Arizona State Mental Hospital.

About 149 men are confined under the Arizona law, and some have been held for more than four years, said Jamie McAlister, the attorney who challenged the law.

"As much as Arizona doesn't want to, I think they're going to have to release many of them, because they've all been incarcerated under the old law," she said of the court's ruling.
[/i]

For those in Arizona - Find out who and where known sexual predators are by searching your neighborhood or zip code here:
[url=http://www.azsexoffender.com/][b]AZ Sex Offenders[/b][/url]
It provides their name, address, map location and photo of the known child molesters living near you.

(there are three within two miles of my home - and now I know where they live and what they look like)
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The answer to this problem is to make sentencing tougher.  Make child molestation punishable by 50 years in the can (or worse), instead of 18 months a couple of counselling sessions.
View Quote

...or use some "personal" justice like below...

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/gunner.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Jail time for sex offenders is cruel and unusual punishment.

First offense - castration.

Second offense - death penalty.

No exceptions.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jail time for sex offenders is cruel and unusual punishment.

First offense - castration.

Second offense - death penalty.

No exceptions.

View Quote

Yep.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Burn them.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Garandman, 1 change:

First Offense: Death Penalty.

No Second Chances for these Scum...
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]
BTW, this is not the first time SCOTUS has released an Arizona Rapist. Miranda was an Arizona Rapist and Murderer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't blame SCOTUS.  I think they made a good call.  Keeping someone in jail for longer than they are sentenced is gross.
View Quote

No - he was in a mental hospital, not jail.

These 150 subhuman maggots should NEVER be released - regardless of their prison sentence.

SCOTUS f0cked up on this one.

You just KNOW one of these 150 child molesting maggots is going strike again as soon as they're released.

I just hope the first child that's kidnapped, assfucked, bludgeoned to death and left to die in the desert is one of the SCOTUS grandkids.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't blame SCOTUS.  I think they made a good call.  Keeping someone in jail for longer than they are sentenced is gross.
The answer to this problem is to make sentencing tougher.  Make child molestation punishable by 50 years in the can (or worse), instead of 18 months a couple of counselling sessions.
View Quote

Affirmative.  History is proof that EVERYTHING is PRECEDENT.  Once you allow bureaucrats to administer outside of law, you open the door for all kinds of nonsense.  Today it's child molesters, tomorrow it might be serial speeders.  "Stop him, he might speed again!"  Give these bastards the sentence they deserve at the start, and let's forget about them while they rot in prison for the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#11]
How would you feel if you were "deemed a risk to the public" for owning a .50 BMG rifle and then held indefinitely? This kind of crap is insidious. They may start with child molesters showing a history of sexual violence, but after a few decades who knows what it will develop into. You must not let the civil authorities operate outside the law -- ever. Once you do, they will continue to do so, as their thirst for power is never satiated. The SCOTUS is right on target.

Edited to add: Like the other guys said, the appropriate thing to do is to start with a stiffer sentence in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with SCROTUS, also. It's up to the states to lengthen prison terms.

FWIW, there are way more of these people walking among us then most anyone knows. Terminal lead poisoning would be the best remedy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top