Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 10:33:39 PM EDT
Unfortunatly I cannot search this topic, so I will start a new one.

I am researching my next truck purchase and need some help.

I am aware that a lower gear ratio translates to more power at the low end, yet less speed at top end and overall higher fuel consumption. What I am curious about is how much. That is what are your experiences with various gear ratios in trucks or SUVs?

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:39:54 PM EDT
In my experience, with modern OD transmissions, its easy to tell the difference in power at low speds/RPMs but there is little difference in mileage between diferent gear ratios. The difference between 3.73s and 4.1s in my truck is 250 RPM at 60mph. Thats like going 67 mph with 3.73s, or something like that (I dont remember exact numbers).
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:57:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2005 1:00:49 AM EDT by Contractor]
That is not bad at all. My use will be primarily as a truck (towing, hauling and off-roading) so I am leaning towards the lower gears.

How about milage? I assume that unless your rig is used as a daily driver in place of a car, it will not be an extreme setback.

EDIT: I'm an ass, read your post again. Answers my milage question.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:10:56 AM EDT
I would be surprised if the difference was more than 1 mpg, and not at all surprised if the diference was unnoticeable. And the lower geared rigs tow a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:20:37 AM EDT
Nothing to add but a +1 to what Combat_Jack said.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:06:37 AM EDT
A lower gear results in less power but better fuel economy. A higher gear results in more power, less fuel economy, and the vehicle will have a tendancy to "whine" more. This is according to my dad who is a mechanic.

But, my dad's 3/4 ton Chevy with the 305 has the 3.42 gears, it hauls ass, but it still takes $50 to fill up!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:31:13 PM EDT
+1
410 for automatic, 373 for 6spd....... for the weekend trailer, is a good overall setup. 200-250 rpm difference between those ratios isnt going to talley up to much at the bottom of the tank.

I have diesel pickup with 410 and a 6spd. Idling off in 3rd gear with a 29ft camper hooked to it always makes me smile.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:18:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
A lower gear results in less power but better fuel economy. A higher gear results in more power, less fuel economy, and the vehicle will have a tendancy to "whine" more. This is according to my dad who is a mechanic.

i thought it was the other way around...lower gear gives more power.

on my Titan i have the "big tow" package and it has a lower gear than a Titan that does not have the same package.

hmm...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:25:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By afplayboy18:

Originally Posted By deej86:

i thought it was the other way around...lower gear gives more power.

on my Titan i have the "big tow" package and it has a lower gear than a Titan that does not have the same package.

hmm...

I think he was getting the numbers and the gear ratios reversed. Numericaly higher number = lower actual gear ratio or so I have read in many brochures and automotive magazines.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:11:37 PM EDT
The lower gear ratio (numerically higher) will have more low end, less top end and decreased fuel mileage. AFplayboy your big tow equipped Titan will pull harder than mine down low. I didn't get the big tow on mine I didn't know at the time about the difference in gearing between the two. If I had I would have gotten big tow. For a comparison for you guys me and AFpalyboy both drive 05 Titans. Same engine. Same tranny. His has the tow package mine doesn't. With our 5 speed auto trannys the final drive is basically 4:10 for him and 3:73 for me. His truck probably has noticably more umph down low (although mine aint bad either ) and he probably gets about 1 mpg worse than me. Go with the lower gearing. Hell whats 12mpg against 13mpg gonna mean?
Top Top