Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2011 3:18:26 PM EDT
I'm entering the academy in about a week. I need some advice on gear I'll need to acquire, I have some ideas on some of the stuff. Throw whatever knowledge you have at me.

Duty belt: I was told it was better to get something with Velcro lining on the inside to mate with a pants belt with Velcro on the outside. Something Bianchi made in particular. Good advice?

Gun holster: I think I'm dead set on the Safariland 6360. I'll take whatever other suggestions you may have.

Flashlight and holster: I already have a G2 that I own and will be using.

Spare mag carriers: I was thinking of something that was open top. It has to be for at least two spare mags, preferably three.

Handcuffs and pouch/tactical key: ?

Radio holder: ?

Those are what I will absolutely need for now.

As I said, any input from experienced guys would be appreciated. I will probably be using most of the same gear in the field.

ETA: Forgot to add, gun will be a Glock 22 if it makes any difference.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Agency academy or are you putting yourself through?

Big difference betweent the two, but, either way, their should be a gear requirement available.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you're on the right track, man. I prefer Safariland STX gear. It's lightweight and sturdy and gives the appearance of leather (smooth, not basketweave). I've been using the same gear since the academy, 5 years ago and it's still in great condition.

Safariland makes a nice open top 3 mag pouch that I'm looking into switching to.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Agency academy or are you putting yourself through?

Big difference betweent the two, but, either way, their should be a gear requirement available.

Sorry I didn't mention that. I'm self-sponsoring with the City.

ETA: They have department approved gear, no particular requirement for what items we get.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sounds like you're on the right track, man. I prefer Safariland STX gear. It's lightweight and sturdy and gives the appearance of leather (smooth, not basketweave). I've been using the same gear since the academy, 5 years ago and it's still in great condition.

Safariland makes a nice open top 3 mag pouch that I'm looking into switching to.  

Those are exactly what I was looking at, I think I'll go that route.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Bianchi Accumold Elite is by far the best looking and lightest gear! They also make every pouch for your belt you can think of. Also the Safariland 6360 in basketweave looks good with the gear. (I use the same holster and gear together for patrol)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Bianchi Accumold Elite is by far the best looking and lightest gear! They also make every pouch for your belt you can think of. Also the Safariland 6360 in basketweave looks good with the gear. (I use the same holster and gear together for patrol)

There are a couple of guys on my department that use the 6360 and 6365 with the basketweave finish. I've noticed that after about 6 months the basketweave starts to peel off, exposing the plastic of the holster. I don't think it looks good at all.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My 2 cents... go synthetic, be it ballistic or basketweave. Also, You probably would be better off with a covered mag pouch, not an open top.  Bianchi just released a triple pouch as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Secure your equipment. That means flaps over magazines, etc.  Train with the same holster and magazine carrier that you will be using on the street.  I have been on the streets for over twenty years and have lost all kinds of equipment during a foot chase.  Found every thing but I can't tell you what it feels like when you reach for your radio and it isn't there.  I also lost my back up gun do to a POS ankle holster.  Found that as well, but a very bad feeling.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the 6360 in stx tactical on my basket weave belt and it doesn't get all marked up like the basket weave version.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Secure your equipment. That means flaps over magazines, etc.  Train with the same holster and magazine carrier that you will be using on the street.  I have been on the streets for over twenty years and have lost all kinds of equipment during a foot chase.  Found every thing but I can't tell you what it feels like when you reach for your radio and it isn't there.  I also lost my back up gun do to a POS ankle holster.  Found that as well, but a very bad feeling.

Good luck.

ESPECIALLY your radio. I got into a knock down drag out early in my career and right when I needed to call for help is the second my radio went flying across the floor. I had to have a citizen bring it to me so I could request backup after I got the guy in custody.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually came back in here to ask about retention issues with gear, alright I just go with flaps. I really appreciate all the advice, guys.

Any particular cuff suggestions? I was looking at some ASP. Should I go hinged or chained?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm entering the academy in about a week. I need some advice on gear I'll need to acquire, I have some ideas on some of the stuff. Throw whatever knowledge you have at me.

Duty belt: I was told it was better to get something with Velcro lining on the inside to mate with a pants belt with Velcro on the outside. Something Bianchi made in particular. Good advice?
 My agency currently uses this set up which is nice and secure (I like better than just belt keepers) BUT the inner velcro belt eats up the pants belt loops sooner than normal.  Just be forewarned.
Gun holster: I think I'm dead set on the Safariland 6360. I'll take whatever other suggestions you may have.
 We have the option of a Safariland (this) or one of the Blackhawk Serpa line of holsters.
Flashlight and holster: I already have a G2 that I own and will be using.
 I have several different lights that I carry and a couple for other uses.  I carry a G2 and a rechargeable Stinger.  I also have a four D cell maglight and a three C cell Streamlight (LED and Incand.) for situations where I know I will need to use my light for a long time (several hours).
Spare mag carriers: I was thinking of something that was open top. It has to be for at least two spare mags, preferably three.
I would not suggest an open top pistol mag holder.  I'm not even familiar with any agencies that allow an open top pistol mag holder.  We use Blackhawk double mag holders (some guys were two of these for a total of four mags on their belt).
Handcuffs and pouch/tactical key: ?
 I carry at least two sets of cuffs (S&W and a set of Peerless).
Radio holder: ?
 Blackhawk swivel.  For me it has to swivel for comfort!

Those are what I will absolutely need for now.

As I said, any input from experienced guys would be appreciated. I will probably be using most of the same gear in the field.

ETA: Forgot to add, gun will be a Glock 22 if it makes any difference.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I actually came back in here to ask about retention issues with gear, alright I just go with flaps. I really appreciate all the advice, guys.

Any particular cuff suggestions? I was looking at some ASP. Should I go hinged or chained?

I use chained but another guy I work with swears by his hinged set.  He says he has more control over a cuffed subject.  I don't disagree.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of our gear is dictated by brand/ type. My first comment would be to check with your new agency and see whats allowed.

My second comment would be to avoid the common rookie mistake of being a gear noob and buying everything under the sun thats even a bit tacticool.

I personally am not a big fan of the velcro.

I carry one set each of hinged and chain cuffs
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1. I use the same gear and haven't had any issues. It gets banged around amd looks the same. Very little maintenance required.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Check with your departments rules and regulations pertaining to cuffs.  Here in Chicago hinged cuffs are a no no.  It is also a good idea to carry two sets of cuffs for multiple offenders and big boys that can't get their hand behind their back, then you just daisy chain the cuffs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]

I would personally stay away from ASP cuffs. Everybody I know that carried them ended up ditching them for one reason or another. I was able to break the pawl on a display pair when I was checking them out at the store. I've also heard of people being able to get out of them pretty easily, but that's all 2nd hand info.

I'd stick with Peerless, S&W or Hyatt. I carry one pair each of Peerless and S&W. The Peerless are my main go-to cuffs and my S&W are used for women or other people with smaller wrists.

I really like Hyatts, but are a little smaller, thus making it harder to put them on big guys (they have to bring their hands closer together, which is tough to do) and fold a little thicker, making them harder to find cases for.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Open top gear is bad news... when you get in a fight shit will go everywhere. Like somebody else above mentioned train in the academy with what you will actually be using when you hit the streets. muscle memory is a huge part of job. Do they actually let you wear nylon gear in the academy????
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea, we can use nylon in my academy.

Ok, I think I'll go with S&W chained cuffs for the time being and go from there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll swear by Biancchi. They do a good job

Blackhawk also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top