Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 7/18/2008 5:46:23 AM EST

holycoast.blogspot.com/2008/07/gay-obama-supporter-suing-bible.html

A homosexual man who has a blog on Sen. Barack Obama's campaign website is suing two major Christian publishers for violating his constitutional rights and causing emotional pain, because the Bible versions they publish refer to homosexuality as a sin.

Bradley LaShawn Fowler, 39, of Canton, Mich., is seeking $60 million from Zondervan and another $10 million from Thomas Nelson Publishing in lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the Grand Rapids Press reported.

Fowler filed his claim against Grand Rapids-based Zondervan Monday, alleging its Bibles' references to homosexuality as a sin have made him an outcast from his family and contributed to physical discomfort and periods of "demoralization, chaos and bewilderment," the paper said.

He filed suit against Tennessee publisher Thomas Nelson in June.

Zondervan says that even if Fowler's claim is credible, he's suing the wrong party. A company spokesman told WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids that Zondervan doesn't translate the Bible or own the copyright for any of the translations but relies, instead, on the "scholarly judgment of credible translation committees."

U.S. District Judge Julian Abele Cook Jr. refused Monday to appoint an attorney to represent Fowler in the Thomas Nelson case, saying the court "has some very genuine concerns about the nature and efficacy of these claims."

Fowler, who is representing himself in both lawsuits, says in his complaint against Zondervan that the publisher intended to design a religious, sacred document to reflect an individual opinion or a group's conclusion to cause "me or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder."

Fowler alleges both Zondervan and Thomas Nelson, with its King James Bible, manipulated Scripture without informing the public by using the term "homosexuals" in a New Testament passage, 1 Corinthians 6:9.

He told the Grand Rapids TV station in an interview he wants to "compensate for the past 20 years of emotional duress and mental instability."
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:50:11 AM EST
lets Hussein dodge that one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:50:46 AM EST
Well yeah. That is just a whole lot worse than:

Leviticus 20:13 (New International Version)

13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:51:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 5:52:39 AM EST by Leisure_Shoot]
If this is not thrown out of court, the judge needs to be tarred and feathered.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:52:17 AM EST
Typical.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:52:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 5:54:07 AM EST by david_g17]

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Good thing the latter half of the Bible gives a reason not to live strictly under Levitican Law.

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

he will - why are you trying to pin this on him? what are you? racist?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:53:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 5:54:17 AM EST by cyclone]
Can I sue him for offending me with his lifestyle? Basically, he has no case.........nothing in life guarantees you the freedom from being offended
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:54:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 5:54:50 AM EST by david_g17]

Originally Posted By cyclone:
Can I sue him for offending me with his lifestyle? Basically, he has no case.........nothing in life guarantees you the freedom from being offended

it's the typical liberal scam: use the courts to bankrupt your opponent.

who cares about wining?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:55:53 AM EST
Looks like Obama's campaign fund-raising has reached new levels.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:55:58 AM EST

Fowler alleges both Zondervan and Thomas Nelson, with its King James Bible, manipulated Scripture without informing the public by using the term "homosexuals" in a New Testament passage, 1 Corinthians 6:9.

You mean someone CHANGED the bible to say what reflects their personal belief. Color me shocked!!!!!!!!

Been happening since the first guy wrote it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:56:48 AM EST
This would be funny if it weren't for the fact that it is a crime in Canada to say that homosexuality is a sin, and if getting the same thing accomplished here wasn't an outright goal of the gay mafia.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:03:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 6:06:25 AM EST by Afioc]
Which constitutional rights did the publisher violate and how? This is actually one of the liberal’s favorite tricks: They make an argument that is so ridiculous you feel compelled to explain why they are wrong immediately, but the argument is too vague and lacks the substance needed to even fully understand and contradict. It results in a weak counterarguement. Be watchful of this technique and do not fall for it. Instead, demand more details.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:05:06 AM EST

He told the Grand Rapids TV station in an interview he wants to "compensate for the past 20 years of emotional duress and mental instability."

Well, at least he admits he's mentally unstable.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:06:35 AM EST
I'm an straight atheist who believes in gay marriage.

This dude needs a bitchslap.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:07:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 6:08:27 AM EST by mjohn3006]

Originally Posted By david_g17:

Good thing the latter half of the Bible gives a reason not to live strictly under Levitican Law.

Could you please supply a verse for that? I am not saying you made that up. But I have not found a verse that says that yet, and admit I have not read 100% of the NT yet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:10:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:14:22 AM EST
He doesn't even know what mental distress is.

Let's send him to Iran...they don't have a homosexual problem.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:18:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By david_g17:

Could you please supply a verse for that? I am not saying you made that up. But I have not found a verse that says that yet, and admit I have not read 100% of the NT yet.

Matthew 5:17

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

-Jesus

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:22:42 AM EST
The problem with this is that's it's a sign of the effect one single person can have. Look at the CA dad (who's not even in the picture) suing to keep religion away from his kid. He's an atheist but the mom isn't (if I recall correctly). We're so politically correct now that if one person is offended the rest of the people be damned.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:24:10 AM EST
Barry's Gay attack dog
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:25:05 AM EST

references to homosexuality as a sin have made him an outcast from his family and contributed to physical discomfort

I'd venture that his lifestyle causes him more discomfort than any book.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:26:59 AM EST
speaking of Leviticus, other fun things it says.

Don't eat pigs (Leviticus 11:7)
Leviticus 12 talks about animal offerings
Leviticus 16- more animal sacrifice for sin.

Personally, I think it's crap, because bacon is the most delicious thing ever.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:31:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Afioc:
Which constitutional rights did the publisher violate and how? This is actually one of the liberal’s favorite tricks: They make an argument that is so ridiculous you feel compelled to explain why they are wrong immediately, but the argument is too vague and lacks the substance needed to even fully understand and contradict. It results in a weak counterarguement. Be watchful of this technique and do not fall for it. Instead, demand more details.

Yep. Also, content of the bible or any other publication does not matter here. There is no need to argue about printed content. This is a free speech issue, but the radical gays and liberals try to label anything that conflicts with their lifestyle as "hate speech" to further their agenda and stifle opposition to their views. They then toss in the "I'm a victim" tactic in an attempt to get around and step on the 1'st Amendment.

The radical liberals and homosexuals preach tolerance, but end up being the most intolerant of other views.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:37:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

references to homosexuality as a sin have made him an outcast from his family and contributed to physical discomfort

I'd venture that his lifestyle causes him more discomfort than any book.

He hasn't seen discomfort yet. His day of judgment will come and it may not work out well for him.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:43:43 AM EST
This lawsuit won't go anywhere. 1st Amendment protections of authors and publishers is nearly absolute. Unless they are defaming(libeling/slandering) someone, you can't do anything about what they print.

Even the OP article mentioned the court had serious doubts about the validity of the plaintiff's claims. I'm guessing the suit has not progressed far yet, and will be dismissed. If I was the defendant I would file a motion to dismiss/ or a demurrer. Even in a later trial phase, if it ever gets that far, I don't see this surviving a motion for judgment as a matter of law(directed verdict) or motion for summary judgment by the defendants.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:51:19 AM EST
I hope the court shoves his lawsuit up his ass!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:51:40 AM EST
Wouldn't it be funny if the same Bible printers supplied the Good books to Obama's former Chicago church?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:53:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By P08:
I hope the court shoves his lawsuit up his ass!

So does he?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:06:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
This would be funny if it weren't for the fact that it is a crime in Canada to say that homosexuality is a sin, and if getting the same thing accomplished here wasn't an outright goal of the gay mafia.

[Homer Simpson] "There's a Gay Mafia?" [/Homer Simpson]

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:09:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:

You mean someone CHANGED the bible to say what reflects their personal belief. Color me shocked!!!!!!!!

Which is why the book is now a steaming pile of shit. Thousands of years of people with political views mending it to be in line with them. I don't see how anyone can take it seriously.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:15:15 AM EST
He could just comply with Biblical mandates and then all that emotional stress would go away....
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:16:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 7:24:55 AM EST by RichinCM]

Originally Posted By DLoken:

Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:

Which is why the book is now a steaming pile of shit. Thousands of years of people with political views mending it to be in line with them. I don't see how anyone can take it seriously.

I agree that the key is to understand the original intent of the document, although I wouldn't suggest using profanity to make the point (Ephesians 4:29) . The Geneva Bible was translated around 1599. Maybe you can obtain a copy of that to scratch your itch. Either that or learn ancient Greek and Aramaic..
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:22 AM EST
Breaking: Dumb people file dumb lawsuits.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:34:43 AM EST
I'm not sure I'd get along with a Gay Obama Supporter that is emotionally pained by the Bible.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:39:01 AM EST
Next people will start suing about something they don't like in a novel. Or become offended at science terms like black hole.

Dumbshits abound these days.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:45:06 AM EST
And thus it began.

The Great Obamessiah Book Burnings of '09.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:06:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By XD_Fan:
Next people will start suing about something they don't like in a novel. Or become offended at science terms like black hole.

Is "white dwarf" offensive to midgets?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:29:05 AM EST
"The eye altering alters all"

-William Blake

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:33:21 AM EST

Dang! I've got to read the Bible! I like that!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:34:58 PM EST
So let him sue God............He'll stand before him someday anyways and it would be interesting to see if he would still attempt such a pathetic excuse for his sinful behavior.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:46:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Knivesbatsnewtats:
speaking of Leviticus, other fun things it says.

Don't eat pigs (Leviticus 11:7)
Leviticus 12 talks about animal offerings
Leviticus 16- more animal sacrifice for sin.

Personally, I think it's crap, because bacon is the most delicious thing ever.

Don't you understand. Bacon is temptation. The devils food. You must stay away from it.
Top Top