Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2010 4:42:10 AM EDT
well I am in Gatlingurg for the week.
What a drive up from Florida.  About 14 hours and my lower back was on fire.
We are going hiking today, into town tomorrow, a little rafting one day and some good old rest.
I will check in at times and maybe post some pics.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Have fun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
i love that place,going back in september.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I used to love going there, but the crowds have drove me away.  The last time it took about 3 hours to get from Sevierville to Gatlinburg.  Never again.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to love going there, but the crowds have drove me away.  The last time it took about 3 hours to get from Sevierville to Gatlinburg.  Never again.

you know there  are several side roads that go around the main road.locals take them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Last week in September.   Not hot, stores still open, no crowds and the rates are low.    Planning on doing that again this year.

http://www.gatlinburgfallscabins.com/
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you know there  are several back roads that go around the main road.locals take them.
Yeah, but the fact that there are so many people who go there now, ruins it.  Gatlinburg used to be this quiet little town with cool little shops.  Now it is nothing but one big shop that sells t-shirts to rednecks.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Take a bit of time and go over to Pigeon Forge and go to FlyAway –– indoor sky diving is the shitz
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Take a bit of time and go over to Pigeon Forge and go to FlyAway –– indoor sky diving is the shitz

+1 on this.  It is a hoot.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a fairly decent gun store in Sevierville as well
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Been a cople of years...  I hope to make back down there soon.. Mabey in the winter time!
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Gatlinburg has always been my favorite place on earth although it is beginning to get a little old.  I believe some of those shops downtown still have the exact same trinkets in the window as they had 15 years ago when my family started vacationing there.  The last time we went, the weather was horrible and we didn't get to go up in the mountains and found out that staying in town for a whole week sucks.  I think we may try out Savannah this year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I got married in Gatlinburg back in 94' and haven't been back since. This was in August and I don't remember it being too crowded at the time. I've considered going back to renew our vows in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Pick me up a t-shirt and an airbrushed license plate...
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I grew up in East Tennessee, beautiful country.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you. The thought of going to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge makes me shiver...
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget about Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

We get a free week at Wyndham resorts from my wife's work and we go there a lot.

And Garmin is your friend to by pass the BS.

Oh, and Cade's Cove is cool too!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]
it has been a good time so far.

Saturday- hung out at the pool to rest.
Suday- went hiking with family then cookout
Monday- Went to Ober Gatlinburg on skylift and let the kids play
Tuesday- Took the son fishing and went out to dinner and walked the town
Wednsday- We are going white water rafting
Thursday- We are doing some more hiking.
Friday- we are heading home.

lots of down time at the pool and hanging at the resort.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Treat yourself to a good meal while you're there.

The Peddler is teh BOMB!  

Steaks cut to order right at your table.

I eat there every time I go down to Gatlinburg.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gatlinburg has always been my favorite place on earth although it is beginning to get a little old.  I believe some of those shops downtown still have the exact same trinkets in the window as they had 15 years ago when my family started vacationing there.  The last time we went, the weather was horrible and we didn't get to go up in the mountains and found out that staying in town for a whole week sucks.  I think we may try out Savannah this year.

Branson, MO is the same way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
it has been a good time so far.

Saturday- hung out at the pool to rest.
Suday- went hiking with family then cookout
Monday- Went to Ober Gatlinburg on skylift and let the kids play
Tuesday- Took the son fishing and went out to dinner and walked the town
Wednsday- We are going white water rafting
Thursday- We are doing some more hiking.
Friday- we are heading home.

lots of down time at the pool and hanging at the resort.

In between rafting and Friday you should come ride ZipLines. Its a freakin good time and two Arfcommers work there. Just saying.....oh and stay off my backroads!!!!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#21]
We had our honeymoon there and we took the kids there last month. We love it, there's too much to do. Fuck around Gatlinburg for one night and spend the rest the time seeing the attractions, caves waterfalls, Cades Cove, Dollywood, there's a lot to do that's outside the city.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
When I was a kid, my parents took me to a place somewhere near there and I saw water run uphill.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Good luck guys. I live 50 miles fron there and I hate it when the wife wants to go there..... The place is a freaking mess with all the traffic and shit...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Try the Smokey Mountain Brewery while you are there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Treat yourself to a good meal while you're there.

The Peddler is teh BOMB!  

Steaks cut to order right at your table.

I eat there every time I go down to Gatlinburg.

we ate there right after getting married.  

the town itself wasn't that impressive.  we spent most of our time hiking the mountains there.  snow on the ground, april 1st 2003.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to love going there, but the crowds have drove me away. The last time it took about 3 hours to get from Sevierville to Gatlinburg. Never again.

you know there are several back roads that go around the main road.locals take them.
Yeah, but the fact that there are so many people who go there now, ruins it. Gatlinburg used to be this quiet little town with cool little shops. Now it is nothing but one big shop that sells t-shirts to rednecks.

I know my way around Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville very well... and the above two posts nail it.  That whole area (and most of the popular areas of the park) are an absolute mess these days.

Avoid it... that is, unless you want some redneck t-shirts, fried twinkies, and enjoy high concentrations of white trash.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Have fun

We will be there either the first or second week in August

It has become our traditional summer vacation spot.

We get a lodge 15-20 minutes from G'burg and enjoy doing whatever we want to do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]
You can spend a whole day at Smokey Mountain Knife Works, or the Muscle Car Museum.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife and I love the place.  We avoid town except for when we have to.  I love spending time hiking in the Mts.  We go early or late and avoid crowds.  My favorite place is Cades Cove.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
If possible try the PEDDLER  STEAK HOUSE in Gatlinburg......none better
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to love going there, but the crowds have drove me away. The last time it took about 3 hours to get from Sevierville to Gatlinburg. Never again.

you know there are several back roads that go around the main road.locals take them.
Yeah, but the fact that there are so many people who go there now, ruins it. Gatlinburg used to be this quiet little town with cool little shops. Now it is nothing but one big shop that sells t-shirts to rednecks.

I know my way around Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville very well... and the above two posts nail it.  That whole area (and most of the popular areas of the park) are an absolute mess these days.

Avoid it... that is, unless you want some redneck t-shirts, fried twinkies, and enjoy high concentrations of white trash.

Must be a reason we go there every year for vacation

Just needed a yankee to point it out for me
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife and I used to go there until it got so crowded years ago, laid off for 15 years, went back and were shocked at the over-growth.

But we did find a solution, we spend Christmas just outside Pigeon Forge in a cabin. My mom and the pups get to go with us and we have a good time.

And yeah, I did take the backroads the last time! WAYYYY quicker!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top