Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:20:47 PM EDT
"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Is there something hard to understand about that bit?  When a tank of gas burns more than half of a hundred, wtf are they telling me "Sorry, no 100 dollar bills accepted."

I want to know, is it actually LEGAL for retail buisnesses to refuse legal tender as payment?  I mean, can they choose to refuse a five dollar bill?  What about a twenty?  Basically, is there a federal law that covers this, or can the gas station keep telling me to fuc off?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course it's legal.

Some people, unlike you, enjoy freedom.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I even hate to go inside anymore. I have to wait to pay for my gas behind someone with a handful of lotto tickets most everytime I go in.

Pay at the pump is what I use 90% of the time.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
what if all you have to pay with is a $100 bill?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
conterfit,not having enough change to break $100 in the drawer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Naaaah. The good one is when they say "No bills over $20." and you offer a $50 to pay for $31 worth of stuff and the dumbshit behind the counter won't take it. HELLO!!! It affects you the same as my buying $1 worth of stuff with a $20!!!!! - or worse, offer a $50 for $40+ worth of mdse and get the fisheye for it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I use my Cabelas credit card, I get 1% in credit towartds Cabelas stuff, pay it off every month, got free ammo and stuff one a year.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Shit happens, be more responsible next time.

What if all you have to pay with is a $1 bill?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Free gas!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Of course it's legal.

Yeah, so what are they gonna do when I walk in with only a hundred, and no credit cards on me, after pumping the gas?  The station in question had no sign on the pumps, only on the front door.  

At they point they have 2 choices, and 2 choices only:

1.  Take the hundred
2.  Mail me an invoice

I ran into this bullshit over Christmas vacation, at a gas station in Iowa at 2am.  The guy didn't want to take a hundred, and asked me what I would do if he refused to take it.  I told him I'd tell him where to mail the fucking bill.  That shiny machine in front of the cashier is called a cash register.  Its primary purpose is to make change.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

go ahead and pump it,if they refuse to accept it leave.

not sure what would happen between you and the law.

but officer i tried to pay him and he refused to take this $100 bill.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Of course it's legal.

Yeah, so what are they gonna do when I walk in with only a hundred, and no credit cards on me, after pumping the gas?  The station in question had no sign on the pumps, only on the front door.  

At they point they have 2 choices, and 2 choices only:

1.  Take the hundred
2.  Mail me an invoice

I ran into this bullshit over Christmas vacation, at a gas station in Iowa at 2am.  The guy didn't want to take a hundred, and asked me what I would do if he refused to take it.  I told him I'd tell him where to mail the fucking bill.  

You forgot option- 3. A call to the police.  
They've ran into this problem before, usually by either asking you to wait while someone brings you the money or asking you to leave something of value while you go and get the money.  Or you could refuse and give the gas back or get arrested.  

Of course it's easier to just not be a hot shot and get smaller bills than hundreds.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
As a dumshit behind the counter, when my shift begins I usually have 1 10$ bill and 2 or 3 5$ bills.  When you come in and need 19$ in change I get cleaned out and get to have everybody and their brother bitch about getting all their change in 1$ bills.  I just love it when you come in first thing Sunday morning and pump 5$ in gas and throw your ginormous bill on the counter expecting me to make change out of 60$ in the drawer.  
Break your big bills at your bank or get a credit card.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As a dumshit behind the counter, when my shift begins I usually have 1 10$ bill and 2 or 3 5$ bills.  When you come in and need 19$ in change I get cleaned out and get to have everybody and their brother bitch about getting all their change in 1$ bills.  I just love it when you come in first thing Sunday morning and pump 5$ in gas and throw your ginormous bill on the counter expecting me to make change out of 60$ in the drawer.  

Naw, that would be too hard.  As you could clearly see here, some people just want to show off and cause trouble.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You forgot option- 3. A call to the police.  

Call the police, for what?  What would the complaint be?  Remember, I offered and tried to pay him.

They've ran into this problem before, usually by either asking you to wait while someone brings you the money or asking you to leave something of value while you go and get the money.

Nope.  I was 600 miles from home, and not about to go to an ATM.  Besides, what if I had no ATM card?

Or you could refuse and give the gas back or get arrested.

Sigh.  Get arrested for what?  

Of course it's easier to just not be a hot shot and get smaller bills than hundreds.

Try fitting $3000 in your wallet in 20's.

As for the gas station in question, fuck them.  The guy was a prick about it, and expected me to be speechless about what I would do, as though it were my fucking problem.  The gas was $60 - what if I bought 10 bucks worth of gas with a fifty?  Same amount of change.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well, if you are that short on change and run into problems because of it, the gas station might just consider keeping a more appropriate amount of change on hand, yes?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
You are right, we should keep 500$ in the drawer at the opening of every business day because making the business a better target for stop and rob is a brilliant idea.  My taking a bullet in the ass is worth it to save you a trip to the bank.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Having Franklins in your wallet makes you a "hotshot"??  

This is 2006 - a one hundred dollar bill isn't worth much.      

Also never know what the bank will give you, sometimes its new 20s sometimes 100s.

I hate the stack of new 20s
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Call the police, for what?  What would the complaint be?  Remember, I offered and tried to pay him.

I can offer to pay you in sea shells, if you do not accept it you are not required to do business.  If your product is in a position that it can not be returned, the buyer is required to meet your acceptable payment options.

Simple, no?

Nope. I was 600 miles from home, and not about to go to an ATM. Besides, what if I had no ATM card?
 Your problem, not mine or the gas stations.

Sigh. Get arrested for what?
For not paying for your gas.

Again, that's your problem.  If you can't deal with ATMs or traveler's checks, you are the one that will suffer.
Next you're gonna tell me that the gas station wouldn't accept your $1,000 bill and it's their fault.  Cry me a river.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You are right, we should keep 500$ in the drawer at the opening of every business day because making the business a better target for stop and rob is a brilliant idea.  My taking a bullet in the ass is worth it to save you a trip to the bank.

Oh really?  How much money do you think are in all the registers at a Wal-Mart?  Gee, it's a wonder they aren't subject to robberies with the firepower of the Heat bank heist.  

Somehow you think that my paying with a $100 bill is going to result in a bullet in your ass?  Classic
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You have $25 dollars in your register, that's IT!? I had more in that when I worked fast food!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Howabout when you have to gon inside and stand in line to give them cash in advance and then come back in after filling and stand in line to get your change....... Suck's
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If it's the only thing you have and can't get any other small bill to pay for normal items, than yes, apparently your ego was talking to the teller.

This is 2005.  A hundred dollar bill is worth exactly the same thing as it was worth in 1905- $100.  If you mean it doesn't go a long way, I will ask you how?  How much cash do you spend in a week that you can't fit 50's or 20's in your wallet??  I really want to hear this since 100's aren't worth much to you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also never know what the bank will give you, sometimes its new 20s sometimes 100s.

You always know what the bank will give you- whatever you ask for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Who pays for ANYTHING with cash anymore?  I use my cash-back AMEX or my ATM card for everything I need.  Come on people, its the 21st century.  

ETA:  I do agree though, with the price of gas, those damn stations should take $100.00s  Do they not take $100.00s from the motor home drivers?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can offer to pay you in sea shells, if you do not accept it you are not required to do business.  If your product is in a position that it can not be returned, the buyer is required to meet your acceptable payment options.

Simple, no?

Sea shells are not "legal tender for all debts, public and private".

Nope. I was 600 miles from home, and not about to go to an ATM. Besides, what if I had no ATM card?

Your problem, not mine or the gas stations.

See above.

Sigh. Get arrested for what?

For not paying for your gas.

Negative.  I layed the money on the counter.  Cite a law I am violating.

Again, that's your problem.  If you can't deal with ATMs or traveler's checks, you are the one that will suffer.
Next you're gonna tell me that the gas station wouldn't accept your $1,000 bill and it's their fault.  Cry me a river.

No such thing as a $1000 bill.  As for Traveler's checks, I'm not taking $100,000 to Morocco.  Dude, it's a $100 bill, not gold bullion.  If my gas is $60, and the change is two $20's, stations bitch a fit, but what if I paid for $10 in gas with a $50?  If a station doesn't inform me ahead of time, then it is their fucking problem.  Obviously, there is no way in hell I am going to somehow remove the gas from my tank and return it.  The station would need to make change, or mail me an invoice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Oh really?  How much money do you think are in all the registers at a Wal-Mart?  Gee, it's a wonder they aren't subject to robberies with the firepower of the Heat bank heist.  

Somehow you think that my paying with a $100 bill is going to result in a bullet in your ass?  Classic

How many (1 or 2?) Walmarts are robbed versus gas stations (thousands).

You're batting a thousand today.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You always know what the bank will give you- whatever you ask for.

Not always, I have caught them low or out of 100s before.  Onetime I got 6k out of Wells Fargo, they has 8 100s, 2 50s the rest was 20s.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

h
Somehow you think that my paying with a $100 bill is going to result in a bullet in your ass?  Classic hr

Anyone who decides to rob a store is going to take into account how much money there is and many other factors.  Like if there are cameras or 75 people in the store which Wal Mart has.  And having large amount of cash to cater to people too lazy to go to a bank is too much bait for a small store with only one person at the register, ok?

Quoted:
You have $25 dollars in your register, that's IT!? I had more in that when I worked fast food!

1 10$ bill, 2-3 5$ bills, 15-25 1$ bills, Quarters, Nickels, Dimes, 60$ total.
Most people pay their gas bills with credit cards or have close to exact change, so you do not need a huge stack of 10s and 20s and you owuld not want one anyway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#32]
So he takes the $100 bill and now has to open the safe to get change, once the safe is open you can blast him, jump over the counter grab and run.  I don't blame them for not taking the bill.

Reminds me of a historic ARFCOM rant about not being able to cash a check at a bank or something like that.  The psychopoliticians will be along shortly to assist you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Shells can be used to settle debt the same as cash.  Remember, there is nothing in that saying that forces you to accept it, it's just saying that it can be accepted.

Negative. I layed the money on the counter. Cite a law I am violating.

The same law that you would be violating if you put a piece of gold down on the counter and expected him to accept it.

No such thing as a $1000 bill.  If a station doesn't inform me ahead of time, then it is their fucking problem.  Obviously, there is no way in hell I am going to somehow remove the gas from my tank and return it.  The station would need to make change, or mail me an invoice.

As I said, there are other options which I spelled out that you continue to ignore.  These are options that I witnessed first hand while working my first glorious after school job.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Who pays for ANYTHING with cash anymore?   I use my cash-back AMEX or my ATM card for everything I need.  Come on people, its the 21st century.  

ETA:  I do agree though, with the price of gas, those damn stations should take $100.00s  Do they not take $100.00s from the motor home drivers?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Not always, I have caught them low or out of 100s before.  Onetime I got 6k out of Wells Fargo, they has 8 100s, 2 50s the rest was 20s.  

So you had no problem paying for gas
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I would think they can be used if both parties agree to it.

Who pays for ANYTHING with cash anymore?

"Who needs a machinegun?"
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By your rationale, gas stations should not accept cash at all then, right?  That way, they'd never be robbed .  You are misplacing the blame for robberies onto customers who would pay in cash - give me a break.  If you are going to do business with the public, then have a realistic amount of cash on hand.  Or buy one of those metering safes.  Or keep a shotgun behind the counter, I don't care.  It's not my problem.

As though the would-be robber knows how much cash you keep in the drawer for change.......  

Oh, and what happens if I buy $99 worth of gas?  Can I still pay with my gigantic $100 bill or must I count it out in fives?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

Is there something hard to understand about that bit?  When a tank of gas burns more than half of a hundred, wtf are they telling me "Sorry, no 100 dollar bills accepted."

I want to know, is it actually LEGAL for retail buisnesses to refuse legal tender as payment?  I mean, can they choose to refuse a five dollar bill?  What about a twenty?  Basically, is there a federal law that covers this, or can the gas station keep telling me to fuc off?

This is an argument that comes up often on Internet forums. The answer is no, they do not have to accept it. The statement "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" means that that piece of paper can be used to pay debts. It doesn't mean it has to be accepted.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Anyone who decides to rob a store is going to take into account how much money there is and many other factors.  Like if there are cameras or 75 people in the store which Wal Mart has.  And having large amount of cash to cater to people too lazy to go to a bank is too much bait for a small store with only one person at the register, ok?

But I thought that large sums of money would draw the robbers of the world in like a bat-signal?  Which is it?

$500 is a lot of money to keep on hand for change?  I had $200 for my last garage sale.  Sheesh.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By your rationale, gas stations should not accept cash at all then, right?  That way, they'd never be robbed .  You are misplacing the blame for robberies onto customers who would pay in cash - give me a break.  If you are going to do business with the public, then have a realistic amount of cash on hand.  Or buy one of those metering safes.  Or keep a shotgun behind the counter, I don't care.  It's not my problem.

As though the would-be robber knows how much cash you keep in the drawer for change.......  

I didn't say anything other than point out your lack of common sense when comparing a gas station to walmart.  It's like comparing a crack house to Fort Knox.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
This is 2005.  A hundred dollar bill is worth exactly the same thing as it was worth in 1905- $100.  If you mean it doesn't go a long way, I will ask you how?  How much cash do you spend in a week that you can't fit 50's or 20's in your wallet??  I really want to hear this since 100's aren't worth much to you.

You have absolutely no idea what money is. If you really think that a $100 bill is worth today what a $100 bill was worth in 1905, you are an irredeemable fool.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you are in such a financial plight that you view $100 as some enormous amount of cash.

A hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket.    

Why didn't you answer my question?  Why did you choose to try and insult me instead of answering my simple questions?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
By your rationale, gas stations should not accept cash at all then, right?  That way, they'd never be robbed he
As though the would-be robber knows how much cash you keep in the drawer for change.......hr

You are right it is not your problem.  It is the business' problem and they are goign to mitigate risks to employees by having a policy that precludes the need for large amounts of cash on hand.

Yes they do know how much cash there is, whenever you ring up a pack of smokes that drawer flies open and you can see how much cash there is.   Thats why most savvy clerks put the $20s and larger bills under the coin tray so it is out of sight.  
And if cousin Bubba went to jail "Just for 90$ in cash from the local store" word gets out that convenience stores are not carrying as much cash on hand as they used to.  
Lets not forget that the "No 100$ bills accepted" sign itself tells would be armed robbers that "This is a low traffic target and will only pay the crack bills for 3 or 4 days, I had better move on."

I tell you what, why don't you wear a shirt that proudly proclaims "Carries $3000 in cash" printed on it.  I am sure you CCW so its no big deal right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have absolutely no idea what money is. If you really think that a $100 bill is worth today what a $100 bill was worth in 1905, you are an irredeemable fool.

This is apparently WAY above your head.  Next time you see a $100, read the dollar value it says on it.  You might want to take some finance courses in the meantime as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Shells can be used to settle debt the same as cash.  Remember, there is nothing in that saying that forces you to accept it, it's just saying that it can be accepted.

The same law that you would be violating if you put a piece of gold down on the counter and expected him to accept it.

Don't be stupid.  FRN's are a customary and usual way of paying.  

The last thing I am going to do at 2am in the middle of nowhere is travel 30 miles looking for an ATM or wait until dawn so the station can get change.  

As I said, there are other options which I spelled out that you continue to ignore. These are options that I witnessed first hand while working my first glorious after school job.

You mean giving the gas back?  If the station wants its gas back, then THEY can figure out a way to get it out of my anti-siphon tank as well as meter it precisely.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you are in such a financial plight that you view $100 as some enormous amount of cash.

A hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket.    

Why didn't you answer my question?  Why did you choose to try and insult me instead of answering my simple questions?

Oh, you mean detail my daily finances for you?  Maybe some other time, hotshot.

Do you see me asking you for details?  " If you mean it doesn't go a long way, I will ask you how? How much cash do you spend in a week that you can't fit 50's or 20's in your wallet?? I really want to hear this since 100's aren't worth much to you."??

Answer the question.  Stop playing the game, either answer the question or admit that you are wrong.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is apparently WAY above your head.  Next time you see a $100, read the dollar value it says on it.  You might want to take some finance courses in the meantime as well.

OK! I'll give you a nickel, you give me 10 lbs of flour - but then you have to kill yourself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK! I'll give you a nickel, you give me 10 lbs of flour - but then you have to kill yourself.

Just because the value of an item goes up, it doesn't mean that the dollar value of a note has as well.  This is simple logic, just looking at a $100 bill will tell you it's value, which will always be $100.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top