Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2011 3:19:42 PM EDT
It happened to me today (partially). I stopped to pump gas and for some reason the damn nozzle failed to shut off when my tank was full. I'm not sure how this happened or how common it is anymore (thought they fixed that back in the 80's). I'm washing my windows, not really thinking about the pump because of the automatic shutoff. A hear a woman shouting from the break area next to the store (with a cig in her mouth, no less) "Hey! You're running gas all over the gound!!!". I look and gas is pouring down the side of my car like it's coming out of a fire hose. I did the math and figured it pumped an extra 15 bucks worth. That's a lot of gas! The lady said I could go and that she would rope off the pump. It wasn't worth it to me to argue about the faulty nozzle so I drove off and immediately thought of the scene with Robin Williams.

For those who haven't seen the movie, it happens at minute 4:55.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=N3PNF4J5

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You paid for the $15 worth of gas?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pre-paid at the pump with my credit card.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why wouldn't he?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't he?

Gas station's equipment malfunctioned.  Their fault they didn't maintain it, and their negligence led to the loss of the $15 worth of gas.

If you're using a soda fountain at a restaurant and the machine breaks (random breakage from wear / bad maintenance) and dumps out $50 worth of Pepsi, do you honestly believe you're the one holding the bag?  It's their equipment that caused the loss.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Just call the corporate office and complain.  They will give you a gift card or something.  My wife works for a large refining company that has retail stores.  When customers complain about stuff like that they always send them a gift card.  Ask for the operations manager for the area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't he?

Gas station's equipment malfunctioned.  Their fault they didn't maintain it, and their negligence led to the loss of the $15 worth of gas.

If you're using a soda fountain at a restaurant and the machine breaks (random breakage from wear / bad maintenance) and dumps out $50 worth of Pepsi, do you honestly believe you're the one holding the bag?  It's their equipment that caused the loss.

I see it as my fault because I wasn't being attentive. Besides, how do you prove what percentage of gas was mine versus the amount on the ground? Do I tell the attendant $15.00 and expect that he'll agree with my number? Any dishonest person could fill up their tank, purposely spill a little on ground, claim faulty equipment and demand compensation. Some things just aren't worth the argument.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't he?

I see it as my fault because I wasn't being attentive. Besides, how do you prove what percentage of gas was mine versus the amount on the ground? Do I tell the attendant $15.00 and expect that he'll agree with my number? Any dishonest person could fill up their tank, purposely spill a little on ground, claim faulty equipment and demand compensation. Some things just aren't worth the argument.

and good for you for thinking that way.

I see it as not being attentive enough. I mean it does say to not leave the pump unattended...  The soda fountain isn't a good analogy.  If the gas pump wouldn't shut off when he stopped it, then you'd have a point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Around here there is usually a little sticker that says you must stay at the gas pump while fueling.  I guess that's why.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Around here there is usually a little sticker that says you must stay at the gas pump while fueling.  I guess that's why.

Yep.  And by fueling there, he accepted the rules. When he didn't abide by them, the wastage became his responsibility.
As he has acknowledged.  That was honorable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that's why some states don't have the hold opens on the nozzles anymore.

And,IIRC,I think there is at least one state that wont allow you to pump your own gas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that's why some states don't have the hold opens on the nozzles anymore.

And,IIRC,I think there is at least one state that wont allow you to pump your own gas.

Two, NJ and somewhere out west (OR or WA, maybe?)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick google shows Oregon (and NJ).

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick google shows Oregon (and NJ).

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I always stay at the pump when I'm pumping.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hope you are talking about gasoline......................

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I rarely leave the pump while fueling. Last time I did it, I got out and diesel was pouring out of the fuel filler.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't he?

This. I definitely wouldn't pay more than how much your tank holds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are talking about gasoline......................

Yup. Get your mind outta the gutter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top