Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:06:12 AM EDT
According to the rumor mill at the docks, wholesale price for gas is $3.79 per gallon and Maine will see $4 gas at midnight tonight. Currently regular octane gas at my location is $3.17 per gallon.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T HAPPENING
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
IT's up to $3.39 here in Pa my G/f called and said gas is already up to 5.00 a gal in New hampshire though this may have come from a stupid friend. And I also heard 5.00 in cali
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats up MAinear
I saw 3.69 on the way to work and i have heard some of the same about a hike tonight

where are you at
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Went from $3.09 on my morning drive to $4.05 at lunchtime here in Buffalo...can you say gouging?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Un-Fucking Believable
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IT's up to $3.39 here in Pa my G/f called and said gas is already up to 5.00 a gal in New hampshire though this may have come from a stupid friend. And I also heard 5.00 in cali

$3.79 is highest reported in the state.  That was at 2:20 PM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
According to the rumor mill at the docks, wholesale price for gas is $3.79 per gallon and Maine will see $4 gas at midnight tonight. Currently regular octane gas at my location is $3.17 per gallon.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T HAPPENING

$3.69 is the highest reported retail price in ME @ 2:20 PM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Was this started by another "insider"?

IE: someone who's a assistant night manager or pump jockey at the Gas'n'Go?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Went from $3.09 on my morning drive to $4.05 at lunchtime here in Buffalo...can you say gouging?

$3.89 is still the highest reported.  This is at 2:15 PM.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]
They know people aren't cancelling their weekend plans, and will pay whatever they ask once they're up there ... We're heading up to the Ellsworth area tonight for the whole weekend, and have decided to take the wife's super efficient little Honda 4 banger, rather than my mid sized 6 cylinder SUV ... So my 6'5" frame is looking forward to being wedged in that little tiny plastic hunk of Japanese shit for 5 hours.

I haven't seen 5.00 in NH, not saying the entire state has been that way, but if anything the price increases around me have been less than what we've been hearing everywhere else ... $2.77 yesterday morning, $2.89 by the end of the day ... A few places creeping up to $3 today. Don't know if it's everywhere though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
its roughly $3 here in NW LA.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Just paid $3.50 for premium in Charlotte, NC. No regular or mid-grade was available.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"QUICK! COME BUY MY GAS!!!"

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in Portland. Like I say, the normal price I'm seeing is $3.17, however the rumors are ugly at best.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$3.89 is still the highest reported.  This is at 2:15 PM.

I don't give a shit about the highest reported, I saw the signs with my own eyes....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#15]
damn, i leave for a week and everything goes to hell.  im in florida and im paying 2.99 a gallon now, but tha was thurday!  thanks for the update..
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Im at the office in South Portland
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Well my friend, this is going to get worse before it gets better. The question becomes how much can the average person take. We have a very low income state and this is going to break some people.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Last time I went to the pumps it was $3.20 for regular and in the range of $3.50 for premium.

There has got to be a way to mix your own regular gas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Georgia is lifting their state tax on gas tonight at midnight.
I wonder if our Gov will do the same
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Our state loves taxes too much to give any of them up even for a short period of time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A friend of mine's brother's uncle's best friend's proctologists' boss' mother's stepfather works at a gas station 1 day a week during the winter and he said that gas prices are going to triple in 4 hours!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Make fun if you want, but here in Maine the price of gas is up 60 cents in the last 3 days with no end in site.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Make fun if you want, but here in Maine the price of gas is up 60 cents in the last 3 days with no end in site.

Not making fun of the gas prices going up, went up $.10 around here in a few days. Making fun of the 'insider' stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Its anywhere from $3.25 to $3.50 here in New Jersey.............24 hours ago it was $3.15 in New Hampshire.............48 Hours ago it was $2.60 in NH..........Who knows........I would stock up if at all possible - some cities have run DRY - completely out of gas!! (down South so far). Prepare now - maybe look into carpooling
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#25]
$2.99 yesterday and today in northern NJ.. Got lucky yesterday and tanked up at the one station on the strip that forgot to up his prices at daybreak and got it for $2.49.

NJ always runs some of the lowest gas prices though.  Funny because it's all full-service.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Best I can tell you is it went from $3.29 to $3.50 in Upstate NY, and we're usually about 20 cents higher than Maine.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Why is this surprising given everybody with a functioning vehicle is buying huge quantities of gas?  They will regret having all of it in about 2 weeks when most of the pumping capacity is restored.  The pipelines are not running due to lack of electricty, not because they were destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Got over 45 gallons stored on the property up in Maine. You guys should hang out in the SURVIAL section more. I have been keeping gas on hand for almost a month.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Got over 45 gallons stored on the property up in Maine. You guys should hang out in the SURVIAL section more. I have been keeping gas on hand for almost a month.

Yup. this is a lesson.

I have 10 gallons in storage......from 2000. Never changed it, and now it's varnish and good for well, nothing.

You're abosolutely right and have reminded me that preparedness is exactly that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Gas prcies only jumped .20 cents or so since the hurricane struck.

We're paying $2.91 here in CA.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
It was $2.99 last night , $3.14 this morning and $3.49 on my way home
tonight
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Gas prcies only jumped .20 cents or so since the hurricane struck.

We're paying $2.91 here in CA.

Here they've gone from 2.59 Sunday to 3.19 today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Tuesday gas was $2.67.  Today I topped off the tank at $2.99 and the gas station across the street was $3.09.  I have a feeling by the end of next week it will be over $3.50
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It was $2.99 last night , $3.14 this morning and $3.49 on my way home
tonight

WOW! That is horrendous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Weirdness here in Vermont.

I was only able to find one (1) five
gallon gas can in all of Burlington.
Walmart was out, HD was cleaned
out, ACE, local auto parts stores -
all out. In fact, the NAPA guy told
me that the nearest NAPA with any
in stock was CT.

I saw two people filling up gas cans
just on my way down the street to
the post office...maybe the sheeple
have awoken.

eta: $3.29 here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Standish, Maine. reporting here . . .  $3.49/9 for super
One Gas station here in town yesterday was $2.68/9 for regular when I left in the morning, and 10 hours later when I returned they were up to $3.68/9 for regular!!
Then again this morning they were down to $3.09/9

I think they are playing with the prices to their benefit, because there is no way they went thru all that gas, refilled, and then went thru it again.  
The town has way less than 20,000 people residing (Population in 2000 was 9285) and this is a small gas station compared to the others in town, which most people use more than this one.

So MaineAR, IM me about this dock talk would ya?

M4-CQBR out
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Standish, Maine. reporting here . . .  $3.49/9 for super
One Gas station here in town yesterday was $2.68/9 for regular when I left in the morning, and 10 hours later when I returned they were up to $3.68/9 for regular!!
Then again this morning they were down to $3.09/9

I think they are playing with the prices to their benefit, because there is no way they went thru all that gas, refilled, and then went thru it again.  
The town has way less than 20,000 people residing (Population in 2000 was 9285) and this is a small gas station compared to the others in town, which most people use more than this one.

So MaineAR, IM me about this dock talk would ya?

M4-CQBR out

Watching all this, its become apparent that the prices are being driven by uncertainty rather than the lack of supply. A little bit of price gouging thrown in there somewhere too.

People should be outraged, and complain to the FTC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I just called a buddy of mine and he said it was $3 a gallon in North Berwick. Just 2 days it was $2.30.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Tuesday gas was $2.67.  Today I topped off the tank at $2.99 and the gas station across the street was $3.09.  I have a feeling by the end of next week it will be over $3.50

Hey this is a Maine Gas Thread, not New Mexico  ... There is an official Gas Shortage & Pricing thread somewhere else where eveyone is inputing their local & state gas prices.

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Well guys, thanks for all the replies. I do have an update. I stopped by my local station on the way home to top off in preparation for a 4-wheeler trip at  a friends camp this weekend. As I was standing there we were informed that when the station runs out of gas they won't be selling any more until prices come down.

Sorry to say, but the 4-wheeler trip has been canceled as this has turned from an expense issue to a supply issue. I went to home depot to pickup 2 more 5 gallon cans and they were all sold out. They had shelves full of them on Wednesday when I went.

The report is more grim than it was earlier. I'll keep you posted and I wish everyone good luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Gas prices are heading *down* in suburban Chicago.  Stations that were $3.38 yesterday are now $2.99 or $3.09 as of 2 hours ago.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Dude, where are you in Maine?  What about the dock talk?

Quoted:
Well guys, thanks for all the replies. I do have an update. I stopped by my local station on the way home to top off in preparation for a 4-wheeler trip at  a friends camp this weekend. As I was standing there we were informed that when the station runs out of gas they won't be selling any more until prices come down.

Sorry to say, but the 4-wheeler trip has been canceled as this has turned from an expense issue to a supply issue. I went to home depot to pickup 2 more 5 gallon cans and they were all sold out. They had shelves full of them on Wednesday when I went.

The report is more grim than it was earlier. I'll keep you posted and I wish everyone good luck.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm only passing on what people have been telling me and what I'm seeing with my own eyes. The big test will be tomorrow. The station predicted that they would stop selling gas by midnight. I'm going to check tomorrow to see just how true all of this is.

Either way I will update tomorrow. Believe me, I hope all of this is just some dumb attendant trying to act like a big shot. The problem is he seemed to have more detail than just a regular moron and all of the co-workers were agreeing. There was a general mood in the station that wasn't good and like I say Home Depot was out of 5 gallon cans, so someboy out there is stocking up for something.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#44]
$3.29 here in the Milford/Old Town area.  No telling what it is in Bangor.  Sam's Club is the cheapest place around though, so I recommend going there if you have a membership.  Even if you don't, the 30 or 40 bucks will be made up for with the money you'll save on gas after a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#45]
$2.99 by me right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm only passing on what people have been telling me and what I'm seeing with my own eyes. The big test will be tomorrow. The station predicted that they would stop selling gas by midnight. I'm going to check tomorrow to see just how true all of this is.

Either way I will update tomorrow. Believe me, I hope all of this is just some dumb attendant trying to act like a big shot. The problem is he seemed to have more detail than just a regular moron and all of the co-workers were agreeing. There was a general mood in the station that wasn't good and like I say Home Depot was out of 5 gallon cans, so someboy out there is stocking up for something.

So where are you in Maine?  North, South, East, West?  Why are you being evasive as to where you got your info?  Trying to start a mass panic?
First you heard some "dock rumors",  then "people" (plural for all you high schoolers),  now "the station" . . . what gives man... anti up

It is 12:15am and gas is still for sale here in southern Maine.  I called several stations around the Portland area and they have no worries about running out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Sorry to say this, but you ain't seen nothing yet.

Maines economy depends a lot on tourism.

And I happen to love Maine, it's a beautiful state, but...

Myself and the GF had been planning one of our bi-annual trips to Kittery to do some shopping.

A few hours ago we decided to cancel it because the cost of gas wouldn't make the trip worthwhile (and she has a 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla... never mind the gas mileage my Jeep Cherokee gets , and we live less than an hour away ).

By my estimate, it's not that far fetched that others have canceled their excursions to ME as well.

And unless some miracle happens withen the next few months (like gas prices suddenly dropping), I kind'a doubt that the "leaf peepers" will be heading up that way when Autumn arrives.

FWIW... it's not just ME that is going to be screwed, we are all going to be screwed in one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#48]
$3.39 in NY. Diseal is about $4 on the water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I've seen $3.69 for regular in Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Sorry to say this, but you ain't seen nothing yet.

Maines economy depends a lot on tourism.

By my estimate, it's not that far fetched that others have canceled their excursions to ME as well.

And unless some miracle happens withen the next few months (like gas prices suddenly dropping), I kind'a doubt that the "leaf peepers" will be heading up that way when Autumn arrives.

That is way cool, b'cuz leaf peepers drive to slow and don't know where the hell they are going anyway. . . damn mass-holes
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top