Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2005 6:01:16 AM EDT
Now that oil is at a new record high they have raised gas prices again...now $3.09 per gallon at chevron in San Francisco. How high will it get before it goes back down? Total bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:02:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:06 AM EDT
What about a national boycott for a day...would that have any effect?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:10:11 AM EDT
I am sure it is only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:12:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lambchops:
Now that oil is at a new record high they have raised gas prices again...now $3.09 per gallon at chevron in San Francisco. How high will it get before it goes back down? Total bullshit.

Adjusted for inflation, gas and oil was much more expensive back in the late 70's than it is now. It also isn't the energy company's fault that gas is expensive. It is the summertime and different cities and states require different fuel blends to reduce smog. This along with a limited refining capacity is the reason gas has become expensive. We need more refineries and less regulation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:14:12 AM EDT
And the proletariat just continue to bend over....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:13 AM EDT
A national boycott of driving might have an effect. A national boycott of buying gas would only have the effect of having to wait in line with everyone else on the day after.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:19:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:

What do you suggest we do, tovarisch? Start killing the bourgoise?

Get real. It's called commodities markets at work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:23:42 AM EDT
$2.47 here yesterday, glad I have a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:25:12 AM EDT
Guess it's time to get a locking gas cap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:25:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:

blame the chicoms on this one
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:25:57 AM EDT
Damn that is high...

How about our gas price converted into dollars per gallon.. $5.50

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:31:53 AM EDT

Is that regular or premium?

I saw an article the other day about a projection that gas would stay above $2.10 through 2006. I think that's a pretty safe bet. I just wonder if I'm going to be paying $3.50 before the end of 2006. We're at about 2.40 here and steadily rising over the past few weeks. I WISH I had a motorcycle.

I love my Honda CR-V, and I'm not selling it just to save gas, but when it does wear out, the next car I buy is getting at least 35 mpg, preferably 40+. And until then, I want a scooter or a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:56 AM EDT
liberals should be happy, they always dreamed of those big nasty SUV drivers paying $5.00 a gallon for gas like they do in Europe so everyone will be forced to drive little Geo Metros or Yugos, well they're 60% there!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:36:43 AM EDT
I wonder what all the good little liberals are driving in SF right now?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:40:47 AM EDT
John Kerry and Larry David are paying $3.16 on the vinyard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:45:15 AM EDT
But didn't we invade Iraq so that we all could get free gas and oil?

<­BR>

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:47:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 64FXR:
But didn't we invade Iraq so that we all could get free gas and oil?

I remember being told that every day for a year by my idiot box, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. I guess the evil Republicans are taking all the cheap oil from Iraq and jacking up the price so we still have to pay a shitload for it, and they get to throw another few billion dollars on the pile of cash they spend all day swimming around in .
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:49:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Torf:

Old VWs and Volvos covered in wingnut stickers, and getting worse gas mileage and spewing more pollution than my "bourgois" BMW.

And why are y'all blaming the chicoms? The bottleneck in "supply" is our (lack of) refineries.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:51:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

Old VWs and Volvos covered in wingnut stickers, and getting worse gas mileage and spewing more pollution than my "bourgois" BMW.

And why are y'all blaming the chicoms? The bottleneck in "supply" is our (lack of) refineries.

Then why is the (unrefined) barrel of crude at an all time high?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:10:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:11:24 AM EDT by 64FXR]
Yeah, I still have people tell me after they find out that I'am an OIF vet that we were there for the oil. Then I ask what they paid for their last fill-up. Its amazing to me how people can't come to simple rational conclusions for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:18:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:20:03 AM EDT by Grunteled]

Originally Posted By Tuukka:
Damn that is high...

Since I don't live in Finland that comparison means nothing. When I did spend $120 per month to keep two vechicles fueled and I now spend $265 per month, that means something else in my monthly budget got cut. Raise it another dollar and we'll be making some lifestyle changes. Rapid inflation of a nessisity puts the hurt to people, and it does not matter what the price of that product has been in the Indochina.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:23:05 AM EDT

The reason why gasoline is so high in Kali-fornia is because there is an (un)holy alliance between the govt and the oil companies. As long as they meet the US EPA for air pollution etc, they will turn a blind eye toward the fact there is zero competition among the oil companies. I noticed that there zero advertising on TV for the gasoline companies. Not only gasoline, but the people who use diesel is also taking it in the shorts because the state of Kali-fornia has mandated cleaner fuel, ie less suphur.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:36:08 AM EDT

well no shit, professor....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:26:27 AM EDT
How much does a horse cost, including food.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:32:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I may try fedexing myself instead of driving...

Sig line material!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:40:21 AM EDT
KCBS this morning was reporting from an independent gas station in Oakland, just off of 880 where the fuel prices were still around $2.55 for unleaded, and $2.75 for premium. Might be worth the $3 toll to drive across the bridge.

KCBS.com should have a link to the address.

Prius is a very popular vehicle here. To further enhance sales, Prius, Insight and Civic hybrid owners are now eligible to obtain a sticker allowing them to use the carpool lane even if they are only one person per vehicle.

I think we might soon see an increase in the amount of diesels being imported by the European manufacturers. The reason the Prius doesn't sell well in Europe is that you have an ugly vehicle which does 60mpg going up against something like a VW Golf Diesel which does 70mpg. At this time, I believe the only diesel sedan on sale in the US is the Merc E300D. Expect to see an increase in the range.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:45:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT by GabbasaurusRex]
My better half's mom lives in San Francisco, and when we visit her he has to put premium in his car. That price has been that way for months.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:57:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 8:59:27 AM EDT by Torf]

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:

I think we might soon see an increase in the amount of diesels being imported by the European manufacturers. The reason the Prius doesn't sell well in Europe is that you have an ugly vehicle which does 60mpg going up against something like a VW Golf Diesel which does 70mpg. At this time, I believe the only diesel sedan on sale in the US is the Merc E300D. Expect to see an increase in the range.

NTM

Diesel VWs and Merc are for sale all over the US, and VW Golfs don't get 70 mpg. Sorry. I know Diesels are banned in CA, so you probably aren't exposed to them enough to paint a realistic picture. They are quite common in the rest of the US.

Diesel cars may be able to match hybrid mileages, but they aren't exceeding them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:58:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:
My better half's mom lives in San Francisco, and he has to put premium in his car. That price has been that way for months.

Your better half's mom is a guy???
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:58:46 AM EDT
City of perverts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:59:51 AM EDT

My better half's mom lives in San Francisco, and he has to put premium in his car. That price has been that way for months.

transgendered maybe? It is San Francisco after all
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:04:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 9:05:21 AM EDT by GabbasaurusRex]

My better half's mom lives in San Francisco, and when we visit her he has to put premium in his car. That price has been that way for months.

No, I meant when we come visit her my boyfriend has to fill up. Guess I did word it a little funny.

There, I edited it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:06:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By m-dc:
$2.47 here yesterday, glad I have a motorcycle.

my fuggin bike has a rear flat.....had a blowout at 70mph last week
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:08:10 AM EDT
$2.35 here unless you go to Food City or Kroger then it's $2.28 but you can save .03 with your Krogers card so it'd be $2.25 which is still way too much.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:08:38 AM EDT
$2.83, this morning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:14:51 AM EDT
$2.99 in Yonkers NY yesterday. I think thats the highest it has ever been around NYC
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:19:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Chaingun:

blame the chicoms on this one

The environmentalists deserve most of the blame
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:24:19 AM EDT

What about a national boycott for a day...would that have any effect?

no, because people would by the day before or after.

you would need a month or more of consistent no-buyum-gas-from-u.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:45:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 9:46:23 AM EDT by NimmerMehr]

Originally Posted By palmer:

I'll call my Dad.....

horse cost $1000+ if you just want one to walk to/from work.

toe job is $25 * 5 times a year (rotate tires) $125

1 hay bail lasts 2 days, and $2 or 3 dollars per bail. $550 yearly (gas)

$300 yearly vet checkup (change oil, air filter)

Do you have a pasture of at least 1 acre?

$11 every two weeks for feed (i.e. nutritional feed to supliment the hay) $572

$1600 a year to feed/care for the horse and assuming you own some land/stable

this cost does not include tac, saddle, etc.

edit: these are central NY prices.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:51:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Originally Posted By palmer:

I'll call my Dad.....

horse cost $1000+ if you just want one to walk to/from work.

toe job is $25 * 5 times a year (rotate tires) $125

1 hay bail lasts 2 days, and $2 or 3 dollars per bail. $550 yearly (gas)

$300 yearly vet checkup (change oil, air filter)

Do you have a pasture of at least 1 acre?

$11 every two weeks for feed (i.e. nutritional feed to supliment the hay) $572

$1600 a year to feed/care for the horse and assuming you own some land/stable

this cost does not include tac, saddle, etc.

edit: these are central NY prices.

Uhh, what about a jackass.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:57:45 AM EDT

I know Diesels are banned in CA, so you probably aren't exposed to them enough to paint a realistic picture.

They are?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:02:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

I know Diesels are banned in CA, so you probably aren't exposed to them enough to paint a realistic picture.

They are?

At least until the new sulfur diesel is available, new diesel cars are not CA compliant. I don't know what the legality of bringing in a used one is. They aren't available for sale though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 10:09:13 AM EDT by operatorerror]

At least until the new sulfur diesel is available, new diesel cars are not CA compliant. I don't know what the legality of bringing in a used one is. They aren't available for sale though.

I checked. You are correct. But only for cars.

I have never seen so many diesel powered light trucks around here before. It seems that everyone has one. You know, to tow their ski and wake boats.

ETA and you can buy a used out of state diesel car if it has more than 7,500 miles on it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:11:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

I checked. You are correct. But only for cars.

I have never seen so many diesel powered light trucks around here before. It seems that everyone has one. You know, to tow their ski and wake boats.

ETA and you can buy a used out of state diesel car if it has more than 7,500 miles on it.

I knew that trucks were exempt, but I didn't know that used cars were exempt. Good info!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:18:20 AM EDT

Damn that is high...

How about ours $6.29 for the equivalent of a US gallon or $7.51 for an Imperial gallon

Mark
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:31:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By streetfighter:

Damn that is high...

How about ours $6.29 for the equivalent of a US gallon or $7.51 for an Imperial gallon

Mark

Jesus, you guys riding mopeds yet?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:38:06 AM EDT
I'll have to go review my downloads, but 70mpg was the mileage quoted by Clarkson on Top Gear when he was reviewing (read slating) the Prius. Possibly because of the difference between US gallons and Imperial gallons might make the numbers seem off.

I don't think it's that impossible. A non-turbo in a small car, when Clarkson proved that a turbo diesel A8 (Very big car) could get over 40mpg and drive from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank of fuel.

I was unaware of the diesel car ban in CA actually. That could be a glitch.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:44:23 AM EDT

that would be a good start.

realistically, this is what the fucking federal govt is supposed to be for, oversight. gas companies are gouging us. fuck crude oil prices, how do you explain that the prices we're paying accounts for their highest PROFITS in history??? these motherfuckers are PROFITEERING plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:49:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:

that would be a good start.

realistically, this is what the fucking federal govt is supposed to be for, oversight. gas companies are gouging us. fuck crude oil prices, how do you explain that the prices we're paying accounts for their highest PROFITS in history??? these motherfuckers are PROFITEERING plain and simple.

The profit margin is the same. Don't be an idiot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top