Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Much simpler concept I was taught at flight school, but won't likely go over well in here.

Suck
Bang
Blow

Suck in air, burn fuel in it, blows out the back making energy to suck in more.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Much simpler concept I was taught at flight school, but won't likely go over well in here.

Suck
Bang
Blow

well in a class full of young men, you have to put it on thier mental level, hwich is usually waist high
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Suck
Bang
Blow

NOW THIS I UNDERSTAND!!!

Sorry, DF.  Didn't mean to disappoint you.

Can gnomes ride on a turbine?

rots of rove,
Daisywrrrench
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uhm... DF?

It's the Women's Forum.  Maybe you should tell them what colors are available?  

TRG

I posted Wrenches 101 in the WF a few months ago too.  It went over well.
I'vce never noticed the colors of the engines

I swear, I read that five times before read it as 'wRenches 101'...TRG

Daisywench was posting here for a month (maybe longer) before I realized her username didn't have the name of a tool in it.

Sadly, it wasn't the first time I've been accused of being a tool.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can't decide whether this threads sucks or blows.

TRG

Bangs, you forgot bangs.......
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to hijack, but a 4 stroke is more fun cause it has a squeeze....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm shocked the Ladies mod hasn't tossed us all out on our keisters yet with this one.

Apologies to the Ladies.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm shocked the Ladies mod hasn't tossed us all out on our keisters yet with this one.

Apologies to the Ladies.

Apologies HELL!!!
I am laughing my butt off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Did not forget.  This is the women's forum, and everyone knows that nothing bangs around here.  

TRG

Yeah, they are all married.  I know what that is like... nothing bangs around my house either.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did not forget.  This is the women's forum, and everyone knows that nothing bangs around here.  

TRG

Yeah, they are all married.  I know what that is like... nothing bangs around my house either.

You're exaggerating! I know there's married banging!
It's called "hallway sex"
You walk by in the hallway and say "screw you!" to each other.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

That assumes you are speaking.  I have to wait for Oprah to be over before I am allowed to talk.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

That assumes you are speaking.  I have to wait for Oprah to be over before I am allowed to talk.

Of course, I am divorced, but if my Ex had ever told me to 'Wait until Oprah is over before sepaking to me..."  

I would have shot the TV.

TRG

The only time my hubby cannot talk to me is before my morning coffee...if he does so, he knows it's at his own peril
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I would have shot the TV.

TRG

I'm working on it.  When I was single and living alone, I had 3 TV's in my house.
But I don't watch much TV so they were just decoration.

I'm down to one now.   There is no TV in our bedroom any more.  That one took
the long swim.......

How we got from jet engines to marriage issues it beyond me.....
I was honestly hoping for a lock here to save things.....

Too late....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay back on the topic at hand.  Let me see if I got what you wrote straight DF................[clears_throat]blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...........  Just show me a picture of the airplane dern it!  [/clears_thorat] Patty
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Okay back on the topic at hand.  Let me see if I got what you wrote straight DF................[clears_throat]blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...........  Just show me a picture of the airplane dern it!  [/clears_thorat] Patty

Wait...Patty re-directing a hijack???
<scrolls up>
DANG!!!!

<mumbles>

If there were KISSIN' in this thread bet she'd be singing a different tune!
Just messin' with ya Patty...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey when a guy offers the big O with a single Kiss he has my attention.  If a guy wants to talk turbine engines.....  No offense meant DoubleFeed.  I actually would love to learn more but I'm a hands on learner!

Patty
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't decide whether this threads sucks or blows.

TRG

Bangs, you forgot bangs.......

sorry but that's just funny!  Patty
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey when a guy offers the big O with a single Kiss he has my attention.  If a guy wants to talk turbine engines.....  No offense meant DoubleFeed.  I actually would love to learn more but I'm a hands on learner!

Patty

Patty Patty Patty....
They all OFFER....how many can DELIVER

I ain't talkin' Pizza there, hun!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#28]

The turboprop engine : Turboprop engine derives its propulsion by the conversion of the majority of gas stream energy into mechanical power to drive the compressor , accessories , and the propeller load. The shaft on which the turbine is mounted drives the propeller through the propeller reduction gear system . Approximately 90% of thrust comes from propeller and about only 10% comes from exhaust gas.

Please explain a "free turbine" like the PT6.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Patty Patty Patty....

Yummm........house calls........Patty
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Patty Patty Patty....

I deliver.  And I have a 180MPH car to get there quick
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Found it!

The turboshaft power takeoff may be coupled to, and driven directly by the turbine that drives the compressor, but it is more likely to be driven by a turbine of its own. Engines using a separate turbine for power takeoff are called free-turbine engines.

A free-turbine engine has two major sections, the gas generator and the free turbine section. The function of the gas generator it to produce the required energy to drive the free turbine system, and it extracts about two-thirds of energy available from the combustion process. A turboprop engine is similar in design to a turboshaft engine except that it uses a reduction gear system to drive the propeller. The propeller may be driven from the gas generator, or it  may use its own free turbine in the same way as the turboshaft engine. The free turbine arrangement allows the propeller driven turbine to seek its optimum speed while the compressor turbine operates at the best speed for the compressor efficiency.

I read it but I don't know what it means

Okay. What it means is that the propellor section not attached to the hot section of the engine. When the hot section spins it draws air through the propellor turbine section which turns the prop through the reduction gears.
With a free turbine you can hold the prop with your hand while the engine starts and it wont move.

In the arctic, they will park Twin Otters and shut them down, tie off the props, re-start them and let them run all night when it's really cold.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Patty
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Patty

Men are smart.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Found it!

The turboshaft power takeoff may be coupled to, and driven directly by the turbine that drives the compressor, but it is more likely to be driven by a turbine of its own. Engines using a separate turbine for power takeoff are called free-turbine engines.

A free-turbine engine has two major sections, the gas generator and the free turbine section. The function of the gas generator it to produce the required energy to drive the free turbine system, and it extracts about two-thirds of energy available from the combustion process. A turboprop engine is similar in design to a turboshaft engine except that it uses a reduction gear system to drive the propeller. The propeller may be driven from the gas generator, or it  may use its own free turbine in the same way as the turboshaft engine. The free turbine arrangement allows the propeller driven turbine to seek its optimum speed while the compressor turbine operates at the best speed for the compressor efficiency.

I read it but I don't know what it means

Take a regular jet and add another fan around the oustide.  This outside fan
has 2 secions, a front "propeller" section, and a smaller "driven" section that sits in the
exhaust stream of the regular jet.  This driven section turns an additional shaft that spins
the fan on, acting like a propeller.  It's basically the same as a PT6 type design, but the
propeller is inside a duct, hence the other name ducted fan.

This is not very easy to describe any more.  I used to do this all the time and not think anything of it.
Until today.  Basically:

How shall I put this.  It gives more blow for any given suck/bang.

God help us all.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
[A dual spool high bypass turbofan with a propeller out front instead of a fan?

I'm afraid to attempt any further discussion
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#44]
 Too funny!  Don't feel bad DF, I enjoyed your pictures too.  Patty
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Too funny!  Don't feel bad DF, I enjoyed your pictures too.  Patty

Add a poll.

Let's put it to a vote.

TRG

I want a poll asking why you knew where to find the pic of the hunky dude... You are scaring me
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, so you have your gas turbine engine.  Say, a high bypass turbo-fan.

Well, it is HOT as hell right now in Georgia.  Explain how that gas turbine engine can cool the aircraft and its passengers.

Yes, I want to hear your rendition of how an air-cycle machine works,
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Here ya go Patty. This should explain it in simple terms.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top