BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 6:10:43 AM EDT

Gas Station Workers Face Angry Customers
Aug 26 2:25 AM US/Eastern

By SHEILA FLYNN
Associated Press Writer

DALLAS

It's a scene gas station workers say is becoming increasingly common and frightening: Customers angry over gas prices nearing $3 a gallon storm in and decide to take it out on the employees.

"They just yell and scream," said Selam Berhe, assistant manager at a Dallas Tetco station. "They think it's only us that are high-priced."

Incidents of consumer anger and gas-station crime have made headlines across the country, including the killing of a gas station owner in Alabama last week by a driver attempting to steal $52 worth of gas.

Alvin Benefield, 42, surrendered Thursday and was being held on theft and manslaughter charges in the death of Husain "Tony" Caddi, police said.

Berhe recalled the particularly belligerent behavior of a man who ranted about the prices to everyone in the station.

"He walked in the store and said, 'Do you work here? This is ridiculous,'" Berhe said. "He was telling each and every customer. I was like, I don't make the prices."

Gas prices are about $2.56 in Texas, up from $1.80 at the same time last year.

Bruce Hutton, professor of marketing at the University of Denver, said the high prices could spark even more angst than the frustrating long lines during the 1970s energy crisis because the current situation is far less clear-cut.

The 1970s crisis sparked from obvious oil shortages. But today, despite growing inventories, numerous factors are combining to drive up prices _ refinery problems, growing demand from China and energy traders worried over capacity tightness.

Hutton, who has done extensive research on consumer decision-making and energy usage information, said there's also a sense of entitlement among consumers today.

"In some respects, that makes it a whole lot more anxious or anxiety- producing," he said.

Rae Dougher, manager of energy market issues at the Washington-based American Petroleum Institute, said outbursts directed at employees are common.

"The higher the prices, I think, the more frustrated and angry consumers are becoming," Dougher said. "I think that they always suffer from consumers' wrath."

She noted that, although gas prices are soaring, gas station owners are often suffering squeezed profits or even losing money _ and they still have to deal with irritated customers who blame them for high costs.

"I think it's hard on a lot of the retail owners and workers to do business," Dougher said.

Bobby Poudel, who works at a Dallas Citgo station, said business has been undeniably less pleasant since prices started skyrocketing in June.

"A lot of people show their anger to me," said Poudel, 26. "Sometimes I've got to say, 'That's not me!'"

Berhe said she's looking forward to lower prices, but in the meantime people at the gas station say they'll just have to put up with some abuse.

"We just need to smile," said clerk Elizabeth Garza. "If someone tells you something, you have to smile and say, `Have a nice day.'"
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Dateline USA:

Motorcycle sales skyrocket in reaction to the extremely high fuel prices.  Highway lanes are re designated.  Traffic congestion declines.  A USDOT spokesman says "Who would have thought that instead of making the roads wider, we just paint a few more lines in them and designate them as motorcycle lanes we could reduce traffic congestion so much?"  The new federal pattern will be 2 truck/car lanes and 6 motorcycle lanes for all highways that were 4 lane.  Federal tax incentives for motorcycle manufacturers to build new production facilities has increased production dramatically and brought these prices down as well.  Federal fuel consumption and emissions have dropped dramatically.  It seems that the high fuel prices have actually had a beneficial effect.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bicycles are going to be a handy item to have.

True.

Unfortunately, DFW ain't exactly bike friendly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.

It won't be as unfriendly, when you need the bike.  If you are talking about sprawl instead of drivers trying to kill you, then you're right.  Just pedal more.

True.

I was talking about drivers trying to kill me...hell, it's dangerous to operate a truck in my neighborhood with all the illegals, much less a bike.

Many years ago, I used to work as a courier [driver]. I used to talk to the bike messengers downtown, most of whom were hardcore bike types, many didn't even own a car.

Man, some of the road rage stories stories were priceless. They were a daily occurence for these guys and gals. People just seen to hate the fact that you're on a bike, in their way. Amazing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
People gripe no matter what.  I worked at a gas station working my way thru college.

Some guy came in screaming because air was 25 cents.  How could we charge for air?  Air is free!  He starts blowing, showing me how there was air all over the place.  I really couldn't help but laugh, which pissed him off even more.  Did I mention he was driving a new BMW?  I drive a sixty thousand dollar car, and I'm too up-ity to bend over and pick up a quarter if I see one on the ground, but damn you for charging me for free air!

I also worked with an Arab guy, who was just kind of pathetic.  He always had some story about getting money from his parents (millions), told people he owned the store, etc.  His favorite thing was to tell people he would charge them double for everything.  Some people thought it was funny, most just annoying.  Then, the afternoon of September 11th, he showed up for work.  The very first person who he rang up, he told them he would charge them double.  I couldn't believe it.  I grabbed his shirt and pulled him in the back.  I don't know if he ever understood that the mob of angry people in the store were really close to thrashing him.

September 11th was a really fun day to work at a gas station.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
And so it begins...wait 'til it gets to $4.00 a gallon next year.  

Hopefully, I'll be out of NoVA, out in the boonies, where my generator, MREs, and 100,000 rounds of ammo will keep me safe and happy.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
People gripe no matter what.  I worked at a gas station working my way thru college.

Some guy came in screaming because air was 25 cents.  How could we charge for air?  Air is free!  He starts blowing, showing me how there was air all over the place.  I really couldn't help but laugh, which pissed him off even more.  Did I mention he was driving a new BMW?  I drive a sixty thousand dollar car, and I'm too up-ity to bend over and pick up a quarter if I see one on the ground, but damn you for charging me for free air!

Did you tell him your charging for the pressureization of the air, not the air itself and that he is welcome to wrap his lips around his tire and blow.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Man, some of the road rage stories stories were priceless. They were a daily occurence for these guys and gals. People just seen to hate the fact that you're on a bike, in their way. Amazing.

That's a pretty common theme here as I remember.  Your presence on the road is not be tolerated because you are a fag in spandex, or an asshole for being on the road, or a tree hugger or any other of a list of moronic reasons.  It's so intolerable in fact it's ok to spray you with beer, or splash you, or near run you off the road.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did you tell him your charging for the pressureization of the air, not the air itself and that he is welcome to wrap his lips around his tire and blow.

Naa.  I think the concept would have been lost on him.  Besides, it was kind of funny.

Another time, and old black gentleman came in to pay for his gas.  I owed him like 32 cents or something, but I accidentally dropped it.  I apologized, but of course, I was a racist.
Then some other time, I put a black woman's change on the counter.  She stood there calling me a racist, and made me pick up her change and put it in her hand.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a pretty common theme here as I remember.  Your presence on the road is not be tolerated because you are a fag in spandex, or an asshole for being on the road, or a tree hugger or any other of a list of moronic reasons.  It's so intolerable in fact it's ok to spray you with beer, or splash you, or near run you off the road.

All of the above is wrong except the spandex part.  Spandex leads people who believe they can look like another Lance Armstrong or a female verison of the same, even though they look like beached whales who've spray painted their naughty bits.
Damn!

I NEVER wore spandex but then I had lots of chaffing from denim jeans and shorts.  They wear it for a reason.  I just recognized that I was fat and therefore could not be seen in spandex.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naa.  I think the concept would have been lost on him.  Besides, it was kind of funny.

Another time, and old black gentleman came in to pay for his gas.  I owed him like 32 cents or something, but I accidentally dropped it.  I apologized, but of course, I was a racist.
Then some other time, I put a black woman's change on the counter.  She stood there calling me a racist, and made me pick up her change and put it in her hand.  

What is it with that shit?

I can't remember how many times I was called racist or filthy names because I placed change on the counter instead of in the persons hand.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it with that shit?

I can't remember how many times I was called racist or filthy names because I placed change on the counter instead of in the persons hand.

WTH?   I could care less as long as they don't put it their pocket.  What's the offense?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Dateline USA:

Motorcycle sales skyrocket in reaction to the extremely high fuel prices.  Highway lanes are re designated.  Traffic congestion declines.  A USDOT spokesman says "Who would have thought that instead of making the roads wider, we just paint a few more lines in them and designate them as motorcycle lanes we could reduce traffic congestion so much?"  The new federal pattern will be 2 truck/car lanes and 6 motorcycle lanes for all highways that were 4 lane.  Federal tax incentives for motorcycle manufacturers to build new production facilities has increased production dramatically and brought these prices down as well.  Federal fuel consumption and emissions have dropped dramatically.  It seems that the high fuel prices have actually had a beneficial effect.

not going to work that way......Europe has motorcycles and bikes out the wahzoo and the gas prices are around $7 a gallon and traffic is still bad.........
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dateline USA:

Motorcycle sales skyrocket in reaction to the extremely high fuel prices....

You forgot to add the line about deaths in auto accidents skyrocketing. Buy stock in brain buckets if motorcycles get popular.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#17]
This whole mentality pisses me off. It's like blaming the TROOPS for the war.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Most of us over 40 can remember when air was free, your gas was pumped at a "service station" where they checked your fluids, pumped your gas for you as part of the price of the fill up, and depending on what station you went to, often got freebies like green stamps, glasses, dishes, etc.

Or maybe he was just having a bad day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Most of us over 40 can remember when air was free, your gas was pumped at a "service station" where they checked your fluids, pumped your gas for you as part of the price of the fill up, and depending on what station you went to, often got freebies like green stamps, glasses, dishes, etc.

Yep.  Paid my way through college working at a full service station in the evenings.

These people yelling at station employees is just stupid.  Do they think the minumum wage person behind the counter has a say in the prices of oil and refined fuels?  If they really want to get ass, they need to head to the nearest corporate office and raise hell with the suits - they still won't get to the honchos, but it will make an impression
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I got a new bicycle a month and have been riding it all over town since then. Of course town here is only three miles across. To the bank, post office, store, work, etc. I've lost about 5 pounds because of  it as well, down to 171 The only drawback is everybody keeps asking me if I got a DUI or something

ETA: I worked at a real gas/service station about 12 years ago and everybody was freaking out when gas went over a dollar. The good 'ole days now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got a new bicycle a month and have been riding it all over town since then. Of course town here is only three miles across. To the bank, post office, store, work, etc. I've lost about 5 pounds because of  it as well, down to 171 The only drawback is everybody keeps asking me if I got a DUI or something

ETA: I worked at a real gas/service station about 12 years ago and everybody was freaking out when gas went over a dollar. The good 'ole days now.

Yeah, but you're getting in alot better shape than they are, I'd bet. I've got so much tighter and stronger legs since I took up riding. I've definitely caught alot more women checking out the legs this summer.  Not that I'm going to do anything about that, but hey...good for the self-confidence if nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]
You know, as uncool as they are, maybe a scooter is an answer, if you just do around town driving. In Bermuda, its the only choice other than walking or public transportation, since non Bermudian residents are prohibited from driving cars.

Shit, you can whiz around Bermuda four 4 or 5 days on a tank (which is only like a gallon or two), and you can get them up to like 45mph (plenty fast on Bermuda roads, which are only exceeded in scariness by Bermuda drivers!).

Shit I might have to think about that....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Yikes.  How long before it starts getting really gnarly?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Incidents of consumer anger and gas-station crime have made headlines across the country, including the killing of a gas station owner in Alabama last week by a driver attempting to steal $52 worth of gas.

What is that... 4 gallons now?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Uh, I coulda told ya'll that gas station people deal with pissed off assholes all day and all night.  I work PT in a gas station.  IT SUCKS.  COPS are telling me they feel sorry for the assholes I deal with all night.  Strange times man, stange times.  I get about 5 people a night that think it's ok to ignore prepay signs and try to talk down to me when I tell them to FUCKING CONFORM. lol I don't say that.  I just tell them that they have to prepay, those are the rules, and the register won't let me turn on the pumps without them prepaying.  The somehow think my soul mission in life is making their miserable life even more hellish than it already is.  Between that and the ghetto thug boys that come in all night with one hand behind then holding up their pants and the adrenaline rush I get when I see it and then realize my gun is halfway out of it's holster it sucks.  Combine that with $6.50 an hour and I'm one happy sumbitch.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True.

It won't be as unfriendly, when you need the bike.  If you are talking about sprawl instead of drivers trying to kill you, then you're right.  Just pedal more.

True.

I was talking about drivers trying to kill me...hell, it's dangerous to operate a truck in my neighborhood with all the illegals, much less a bike.

Many years ago, I used to work as a courier [driver]. I used to talk to the bike messengers downtown, most of whom were hardcore bike types, many didn't even own a car.

The only gripe I have with those on bikes are the few who refuse to allow cars to pass. Nothing more irritating than to have to follow a bike at 5mph and not being able to pass when there is a shoulder available for the bike. Or the mother hen with a covey of kids behind her darting out into the fast lane with no thought of the danger of traffic.

I always use every opportunity to allow faster traffic to pass, pulling over to the shoulder, waiting the few extra moments before entering traffic to allow the traffic to pass on by, ect. Simple courtesy is what I offer, and what I expect.  ...fullclip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top