Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 5:51:23 PM EDT
Man, the older I get, the more I detest small talk. Well, mainly when having to deal with the public.

Lately, I've been seeing how little I can get by with saying, especially when it comes to cashiers and such.

My favorite place is a c-store on the way home that is owned by Paki's. The guy who works in the evening is about as personable as a rock. The past five times through his line, I haven't said a single word, and he hasn't either.

I love it!

My favorite was when I was in a super wal-mart at 5:30 in the morning and the young black gentleman manning the register was in such a shitty mood, and  that while we had a completely speechless transaction up to the point that he handed me m bag, I just had to look at him with a huge smile on my face and say "Thanks!" in the most friendly voice I could muster.

I walked away cracking up.

Other than that though, I'm going to keep trying to say absolutely nothing!

Und Du?

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
good
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You sure are verbose about it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Man, the older I get, the more I detest small talk. Well, mainly when having to deal with the public.

Me too. I'm a grumpy old man at 28.

I still say "please" and "thank you" if the situation calls for it.

NsB
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well then, why don't you just STFU?

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If you dont want to talk and all that I dont see a problem.

But If your not polite, I really dont think thats a good idea.

I am polite to everyone and I try to make a little small talk with people that I see in public regularly.

A few times I left my wallet in the car or something like that and these times a few people that I have always been friendly too let me have what ever I was buying for free or let me pay them back later.

Kindness and a little chit-chat will get you a lot more in life and you might even make a friend or two.

You never know one of these people see your car getting broken into or know’s someone that knows you and they could help. But even thought you never tried to be nasty, they might feel you were nasty to them and they will not bother with helping or keeping an eye out for you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Big gas tank or really expensive beer?

Cashiers wanting to talk to you is one of the things that look me the longest time to get used to.  In Northern Europe, cashiers don't talk to you - whether they are genuinely friendly, or just pretending to give a shit.

I'm with you - I HATE having to talk to people unless I absolutely need to.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You sure are verbose about it!

Ya, but this is the internet, it isn't real.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You people are missing golden opportunities!
Go through the line of a really cute womenz.  Flirt.  Try to line up your ducks so you can hit it.
Try not to stare at her boobs, no matter how much they jiggle when she hits those keys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
No wonder this world/country is going down a shithole. Your job here is to make it a better place.
Good for you. If you turn up at Gunstock should everyone leave you alone and not say a word to you? Would that make you happy?
You need a head shake buddy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Ed Zachary.  I hate small talk with strangers.  

I wait tables for a living, and do very well for myself with a minimum of conversation.  I don't give a shit how the customer's day has been, and they certainly don't care to discuss it with the guy bringing them their steaks.

Management at the place I work really likes for the hostesses to talk it up with the people walking in the door, and it drives me crazy.  They come here for the food, not to be interrogated by a stranger.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
*grunt*  *ngmphf*  

Or to put it another way:  Amen, brutha!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Excuse me Herr Shamus, I do believe you mean, "Und dir?". That means, "and You?", in German.
Now my little brain hurts from all that thinking. back to the moderately priced scotch!

I hear ya though. Excess conversation grates on me mind.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No wonder this world/country is going down a shithole. Your job here is to make it a better place.
Good for you. If you turn up at Gunstock should everyone leave you alone and not say a word to you? Would that make you happy?

[FrankSquid]Whose that little guy in the Extra Small AR15.com shirt?[/FrankSquid]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Try not to stare at her boobs, no matter how much they jiggle when she hits those keys.

Sounds like you are the one missing golden opportunities!

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hear what you're saying, but I still hate small talk.

Don't get me wrong, I can talk to a buddy all day long, or talk guns for a long time, and I'm even pretty personable to folks I don't know...

BUT, how many f-ing times a day can I discuss the weather, and the latest news on [insert celebrity here] or the score of last night's game???

Being friendly is one thing, but having to think up inane conversational tit-bits to say to your co-workers/passersby that you don't really like is really tiresome.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love to try and make it through a shift at work with out talking to one person.

9-1-1 (nothing)

caller: Hello?...

9-1-1:  (nothing)

caller: Hello?

9-1-1: (hear me typing in the backround)

Caller:Hello, I need some help here?...

9-1-1: I can hear the town clown knocking on the door in the backround.

Caller: Thank you, That was fast!...<Click>

9-1-1: <click>
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Lately, I've been seeing how little I can get by with saying, especially when it comes to cashiers and such.

My favorite place is a c-store on the way home that is owned by Paki's. The guy who works in the evening is about as personable as a rock. The past five times through his line, I haven't said a single word, and he hasn't either.

I love it!

My favorite was when I was in a super wal-mart at 5:30 in the morning and the young black gentleman manning the register was in such a shitty mood, and  that while we had a completely speechless transaction up to the point that he handed me m bag, I just had to look at him with a huge smile on my face and say "Thanks!" in the most friendly voice I could muster.

I walked away cracking up.

Other than that though, I'm going to keep trying to say absolutely nothing!

Und Du?

FOr a guy who is trying to be quiet, you sure are long winded!
CH
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#18]
"        "
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ed Zachary.  I hate small talk with strangers.  

I wait tables for a living, and do very well for myself with a minimum of conversation.  I don't give a shit how the customer's day has been, and they certainly don't care to discuss it with the guy bringing them their steaks.

Management at the place I work really likes for the hostesses to talk it up with the people walking in the door, and it drives me crazy.  They come here for the food, not to be interrogated by a stranger.

AvengeR15, I spent more years than I care to count working as a waiter/bartender. You have no idea how much more $$ you will walk with at the end of your shift if you talk it up with your tables.

My old motto was "The more personallity I throw at the tables, the more money the tables throw at me."
If you dont WANT to make more bank, disregard

echo6

BTW where in FL are you? I'm in Broward county.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Remember, manners are the lubricant of societal interaction.

If your gonna talk, be polite.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I pretty much only talktype on the net.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top