Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 3:03:11 PM EDT
I'm looking for a simple under $800 GPS for the car, what do you think? Sam's Club has them both and I'm undecided!

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Who the hell even makes the "Tom Tom"?  

Get a Magellan Roadmate
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to smack the shit out of the TomTom commercial idiots
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
seems like a hit a nerve with the TomTom...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a C330 (pretty much like the C340 except it doesn't announce street names. Just says 'next right' instead of 'right on main st') and my brother has the tom-tom. We both believe the Garmin is easier to use, acquires signal faster and seems to have more up to date mapping software.

I absolutely love the Garmin. It was worth every penny.

We both chipped in to buy a GPS for my mom, and went with the garmin.

Amazon.com, nextag and epinions all offer the garmin top marksin consumer ratings.

Oh, btw - if you go to nextag or some such place and find the cheapest on line price, you can print that out and take it to best buy, and they'll price match. Probably cheaper than at Sams.

eta; Here it is for $591 buyeretail.com/product.asp?file=NexTag&i=GARSPC340&sku=C340
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Lowrance iWay 500c.  From what I can see of the pics you posted, the Lowrance seems to be more detailed.  I love mine.

Lowrance iWay 500c
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a C330 (pretty much like the C340 except it doesn't announce street names. Just says 'next right' instead of 'right on main st') and my brother has the tom-tom. We both believe the Garmin is easier to use, acquires signal faster and seems to have more up to date mapping software.

Amazon.com, nextag and epinions all offer the garmin top marksin consumer ratings.

Oh, btw - if you go to nextag or some such place and find the cheapest on line price, you can print that out and take it to best buy. Probably cheaper than at Sams.

thanks tommy, how about color and screen clarity of the two? It seems like the TomTom has more features that I will never use, but I will pay for like the European maps. I assume they both tells you how fast/MPH and compass points? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, btw - if you go to nextag or some such place and find the cheapest on line price, you can print that out and take it to best buy. Probably cheaper than at Sams.

thanks tommy, how about color and screen clarity of the two? It seems like the TomTom has more features that I will never use, but I will pay for like the European maps. I assume they both tells you how fast/MPH and compass points? Thanks.

The C330 has a trip computer that gives speed, distance traveled, average speed, all sorts of info. The map screen displays your speed if you just use the 'show map' feature without punching in a destination. When you're navigating to a destination, it displays the ETA to that destination instead of currnet speed in the lower left corner (like in the pic you posted). tapping that area brings up the trip computer showing speed and such. The lower right corner shows distance to your next turn - tapping it gives you the detail map of the nex turn and verbal 'distance to turn' announcement. Tapping the ribbon at the top of the screen  (where it says 'right on st. john on your picture) brings up turn by turn directions so you can check the route. If you don't have a turn coming up soon, that ribbon gives your current direction and street ('North on Main st.). Otherwise, just tap the bottom left, and the trip computer shows current direction.

Screen clarity seems comprable between the two, as does voice volume nad such. I've never had any problems either seeing the screen or hearing the voice, even with the radio on. The basics are really easy to navigate.

The garmin seems to do a better job of warning you of upcoming turns and exits and such in time to make appropriate lane changes. At highway speeds, it notifies you of an upcoming exit starting at about 1.5 miles. It remindes you again at .4 miles and 400 feet. If you have two turns coming up in quik sucession, it warns you about both ("Turn left then turn right in point two miles") You have the option of turning an attention chime off nad on. The chime is nice when you have the radio on or such.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Crap! I've been looking at the C340 and just ordered one from GPSCity this afternoon. Had a decent price, but still about $50 more than the BuyERetail! Gonna try to cancel it, anybody buy from BuyERetail before?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Crap! I've been looking at the C340 and just ordered one from GPSCity this afternoon. Had a decent price, but still about $50 more than the BuyERetail! Gonna try to cancel it, anybody buy from BuyERetail before?

No no no... Don't buy from BuyERtail, print out the BuyERetail page and take it to best buy. They'll price match, you'll save shipping costs on top of the savings and if you have problems you can do a return at best buy instead of having to screw around with an online business a bizillon miles away.

I bought my GPS and bought my mom's GPS this way. Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard a few complaints about the accuracy of the TomTom maps.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the Garmin.

gpsinformation.net/

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Just say no to TOM TOM!  Read this review before you go any further!!!!!!

SCREEN Readability Comparisons for some Popular GPS Car Navigators (with photos)
by Joe Mehaffey
Compares:  iWay 500, StreetPilot 2610, Cobra NavOne, Magellan RM300, Garmin c320, TomTom Go

gpsinformation.info/gpscompare/gpscarnavscreencompare.html  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No no no... Don't buy from BuyERtail, print out the BuyERetail page and take it to best buy. They'll price match, you'll save shipping costs on top of the savings and if you have problems you can do a return at best buy instead of having to screw around with an online business a bizillon miles away.

I bought my GPS and bought my mom's GPS this way. Best of both worlds.

Thought of that but they would end up matching that price AND adding state sales tax right? If thats the case I am probably better off keeping my order with GPScity since there is no tax and I got free shipping. I have bought from them before without any problems.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Roadmate.  Its kind of funny when you go to newer areas. The roads are not recorded yet and you will be in a middle of a field or something.  And some of the road names are not upto date. So instead of a name it will still use the CR1243 for example.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
the Garmin looks better to me now and cheaper too!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I would not buy TomTom , the comercials annoy the hell out of me.

ETA, I have a Garmin Etrex , Garmin is a good company.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for Garmin

The C340 will be the first Garmin automotive product I've bought, but I have used their marine units on my boat for years, I have a GPSMap 76CS and the 215 chart plotter. They are first rate products and customer service is great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Garmin has been around longer and has a very well proven track record.

TomTom seems like the brand for soccer moms who don't know anything about GPS and just like the cutesy commercials.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I want to smack the shit out of the TomTom commercial idiots

+1.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have a Lowrance iWay 500c.  From what I can see of the pics you posted, the Lowrance seems to be more detailed.  I love mine.

Lowrance iWay 500c

BigWorm55, tell me more about the 500c? Like voice quality, accuracy and etc? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Tomtom gives the impression of not being around for too long... and then where will you get map updates from?  Go with the Garmin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top