Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 5:19:17 PM EDT
My garbage disposal stopped working today and I'm lost on how to figure out what is wrong. Everytime I flipped the switch for it the breaker trips. Nothing else on that circuit trips the breaker only the garbage disposal. I had a garbage disposal that stopped working in a apartment that I had but all I had to do to it was push a little button that was at the bottom of the garbage disposal to get it working again. On this one there is a button but it doesnt come out and when I push it in it doesnt help. Anyone know what else to check?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:22:41 PM EDT
Turn off power at box. Loosen the screw on the bottom of unit and check inside for something that could be stuck. That will shut off most disposals. Tighten the screw back. Done.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:24:00 PM EDT
If its tripping the breaker from the get go its probably shorting directly to ground.
Is it wet underneath?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:30:57 PM EDT by Hellhound]
You have to reset the breaker.

Mine sounded like it was stuck-something was keeping it from turning.

I bought a "wrench" from Lowe's designed for disposals.

Found it in the disposal section, looks like a hex tool with a couple of bends.

Stick it in the bottom of the unit, turn back and forth. Should break free whatever is binding the operation.

From Lowe's:

www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=27012-712-WRN-00&lpage=none

Found this from Homo Depot, different from what I used:

www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=SuperFeatures2/Miscellaneous/PM_Affiliate_Landing_Page_2005&cm_ven=hd_goog&cm_cat=Search1&cm_pla=D-Brand&cm_ite=bid10130339-home_depot

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:35:36 PM EDT
As long as we're on the topic, I did the wrench thing and now mine just makes a horrific noise. The wrench spins a full 360 with no hangups. What causes this?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:42:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pointblanke:
As long as we're on the topic, I did the wrench thing and now mine just makes a horrific noise. The wrench spins a full 360 with no hangups. What causes this?

Foreign material in it.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:43:38 PM EDT
As others have said use the alen wrench to the bottom of the unit,there should be a reset button there as well!!!

What ever has been trapped by the flailers(those whirling things in the diposal)may still be in it!

Reach your curled hand into it(I know I have big hands and you can just reach it with your finger tips) and pull out the offending object(usually a half chewed up penny or beer cap)!

Then run some water into it and turn it on!!!

I have found door keys and the like pushed and bent into the dicharge opening(you will have to use a philips screwdriver to take the discharge line flange off) that is where you will find any bigger object!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:44:13 PM EDT
Mine isnt wet underneath. It doesnt even make a sound, It just flips the breaker

I pulled some screws out of the bottom which exposed the wiring. I was also able to pull out the reset switch. I almost wonder if the reset switch is bad? There are also some more screws in the bottom that I havnt pulled yet. Not sure whats above it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:46:54 PM EDT
The thing my family has a problem with is unpopped popcorn seeds.
My 7 yr old loves to put em in there for some reason.
They are real tough to get out to cause of their shape and they way they jam into the little holes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:47:16 PM EDT
I should also add that the plate inside the drain spins freely.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:02:02 PM EDT
bump

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schapman43:
bump

Any other ideas?

Dude, we already told you what was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:09:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

bump

Any other ideas?

Well then I'm calling you back to the service call because what you said didnt work! Still dead! :)

I just checked and the switch has power across it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:11:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

bump

Any other ideas?

Well then I'm calling you back to the service call because what you said didnt work! Still dead! :)

I just checked and the switch has power across it.

get a new one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:19:58 PM EDT by nightstalker]
Does it have a place to turn it with a hex key at the bottom of the unit. If so, does it turn easily? Does it have a reset switch around the bottom of the unit? Have you held it in to reset it?

That's pretty much the normal stuff to get one re-started that's either tripped a breaker or tripped it's re-set.

I think I stuck a broom handle into one to get it to turn but it didn't have the hex key option.

I might even think about (with it turned off/unplugged) vacuuming it out with a shop-vac to make sure it's not some small very hard piece that's stopping things.

ETA, if reset switch doesn't come backout it could be broken, or stuck...same problem..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:19:58 PM EDT
Yeah it turns really easily. Tried the reset button with no luck. THere is power moving across the switch, tried that too. Looks like I need a new one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:56:31 PM EDT
I agree, sounds like you need a new one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:08:26 PM EDT
Bad motor windings/shorted. Time for a new disposal.

Top Top