Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2002 7:23:01 PM EDT
The was a post not too long ago about ammo that was safe to use in a Garand.  The stated problem was you could bend the op rod using newer stuff.

Was it Winchester white box 150 grain?  What else is safe for my baby to eat?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You really only have to worry about the hotter loads. Win white box #USA3006 should be cool.

Most of the op rod accidents I have read about were the result of using something along the lines of "light magnum" or hot handloads.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would stay w/ surplus ammo for several reasons.  Most importantly, price!  My first box of ammo through a garand was Win. 150grn SP's just cuz I had to shoot it and that was the only thing I could purchase within a 30 min. drive.  

If you can find the danish ammo, buy some of it, nearly all the reports of it I've read have been good if not excellent.  I did buy 3 bandoleers, and I put them away.  Great looking ammo, I'm gonna shoot up my TW52 and 54 and LC69 Talon stuff first.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What you are refering to was some one said winchester ammo was made for bolt guns and the primers may be raised thereby causing a slam fire!  I don't see it ,but to be safe I quess you could run your finger nail across the casing and feel if the primer is flush or lower than the case!
 I think military ammo is probably hotter than most commercial!

Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Also If you unscrew your gas plug,then unscrew your gas chamber take it off and look,you will see the gas port on the barrel must be drilled on an upward angle!  As there is little room for the gas and the rod and plug!

So the gas rod is bent anyway to fit in the wooden hand grip to start off!  So I don't think you have to worry about bending the  rod unless you loaded some really hot rounds!

The real issue must be protruding primers!

Ask Troy!  He can set you sraight!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
High primers and/or slam fires is a different issue. The bent op rod problem is caused by using hot ammo, for instance, ammo along the lines of Hornady "Light Magnum" is not recommended.

I would stick with M2 ball, LC, Danish, Korean, Win white box, UMC FMJ, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't shoot any bullets heavier than the commercially loaded 168gr ammo. Stick to 150gr or surplus. NEVER use any of the "High Energy" or "Lite Magnum" type of ammo.

Actually, surplus is loaded milder than commercial 150gr loads, surplus/2740fps vs. 2950fps for commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
after having buy .06 i'm glad mine is 7.62 nato [:D]
View Quote

That's why I reload ALL my M1 ammo. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top