Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2003 8:02:12 PM EDT
I've been told it's a good idea, and I've been told it's a bad idea.

It harkens back to the advice of the guy who built our deck,(which my wife promptly ignored) about if you paint your deck you'll be married to it, i.e. constantly and consistently doing upkeep on the painted surfaces to keep them looking nice. I get activated, and my wife paints the deck while I'm away. Now it looks like shit. Stick to stain he said. Sh didn't listen to him or me.

I've been told the same about the garage floor. Painting it begets constant upkeep.

We live in NY, where the winter is are already trashing the floor with melted dirty snow, water stains, salt and sand on the garage floor. It looks like shit.

I'm was thinking of getting the giant under car floor mats.

Is painting any better?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a large, aluminum pan that sits in my garage, if that helps.  

I can't see how painting your cement would cause problems.  It isn't wood, and it would provide some protection against oil and dirt.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have painted my garage floor. This IMHO is the only way to go. It looks alot better, it helps in the lighting of your garage, so if you work out there a lot you will notice the difference.
The best suggestion for paint would be to use epoxy. Oil based paints will peel after hot tires drive over them.(I learned this the hard way) Make sure you acid etch it first. Let it air dry, do not force dry it with fans.(I learned this the hard way too)and when it comes time to paint it is best to let it set for about 7 days.
Home Depot has the best selection for epoxy paint for your floor. [b]Follow Directions[/b]
and you will find working in the garage a little more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Insulation all done already?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Just be sure to use concrete sealer paint.  I've seen it in many garages and don't recall seeing it in poor condition ever.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]

I painted the floor in my shop where I park my truck and work on projects. Sometimes it seems to get a little slick with water or oil, but it cleans so much easier. I wouldn't have it any other way.. fullclip

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Those epoxy resin systems seem to work really well, but good surface prep is the key.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It's great to have a white floor when working under a vehicle or when you drop something. Definately what my garage is getting after a new roof.

COZ
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Painted the floors in most of our 6 50 year old fire stations about 10 years ago. That was a mistake. Paint eventually chips and peels, and then is repainted. Much, much, much harder to keep clean than bare smooth concrete. The trucks leave rubber marks just from being parked on paint. (the weight on the rubber I guess.) We all sweep and mop every shift, and keep the floor much cleaner than the average person's garage. Maybe the new miracle paints are better. But after 15 years of personally mopping thousands of acres of painted and unpainted  concrete the answer is that painted concrete is 5 times harder to keep clean.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]
That is six 50 year old fire stations...not our 650 year old fire stations.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I used that grey sealant they sell at Lowes, stuff is great. You do have to prep though.
Remember, the stuff is kinda slick when wet... I ran skate tape around the steps and doors.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Insulation all done already?
View Quote

Yeah, we insulated. So it's a bit warmer in there.

I had heard the epoxy was the better way to go. I'm looking for low maintenence. And I don't think the mats will do the job.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
get an old carpet for the garage
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#13]
You get what you pay for.  The stuff you buy at home depot and the so called garage paint will not stick and hot tires will lift it eventually.  It will be a bitch to fix after a couple years.  For epoxy you will need to etch the concrete with muriatic acid, or have it professionally blasted, leaving no trace of elements.  Its also   recommended to test moisture penetration through the concrete which would impeed any application.  I wouldnt recommend doing it unless you want to spend a bit of time and money. I wouldnt have done it if my garage wasn't new and had oil stains. It has been indestructable so far.  I cant get any to lift unless I chisel it off.  I'm using griots garage paint, around 55 a gallon.  Anything more than that would be pro level epoxy floor guys and that runs at least 5 grand but thatll never lift and I dont yet have a stable of ferraris to play with.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Good question.  I hoped to find the definitive answer too.

Seems some love the paint and others do not.

Is it a waxed look finish in some warehouse stores Ok to do after the concrete is poured?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If the question may be rephrased to "finish the floor or not", then may I ask what about tile on the floor?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Asphalt tile...  From what I hear that's the way to go... turn the garage into a showroom.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
get an old carpet for the garage
View Quote

Gets wet...mildew....stinky.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#18]
My main concern for any surfce in the garage is will it hold up to jacks and jacks stands.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Do not paint it stain it, lasts forever, never has to be redone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I think jack stands are going to be hard on any floor covering. Paint or tile. From what I have read, tile is the better choice. Less maintence, and no oil stains. If you are careful about setting stuff with sharp edges down on it, you should have any problems. And it is better than paint because you can rip up one tile to fix it instead of scraping areas to repaint.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#21]
You get what you pay for indeed.  

A small garage with a white painted floor really makes it look bigger.  

If you do decide to paint it, do NOT add traction stuff to it.  I think that adds more of a hazard than it does helping.  This happened at work in a large industrial garage.  There were several bays.  The old bays had no traction sand, the new bays did.  Every mechanic complained they kept tripping/catching a shoe, etc.  

If you have the funds, pay a professional to do it.

MG
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Epoxy it and you wont be married to it.
Paint needs to be touched up, comercial epoxy will lasts years and years with all kinds of abuse, its just a little more exspensive.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know the name of the product but Dupont used to make an epoxy floor paint that my dad used in a building he built for a road construction company. They drive metal tread Caterpillars on the stuff. He used it in his garage at home, I have welded and cut steel right on the floor and never hurt the finish. I'll call Dad later tonight and see if he can remember what it was.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know the name of the product but Dupont used to make an epoxy floor paint that my dad used in a building he built for a road construction company. They drive metal tread Caterpillars on the stuff. He used it in his garage at home, I have welded and cut steel right on the floor and never hurt the finish. I'll call Dad later tonight and see if he can remember what it was.
View Quote

If I recall, it used to go by the name "Quartz Flooring". It was used in areas that would normally destroy bare concrete with heavy equipment traffic. VERY EXPENSIVE! Usually professionally installed and charged by the square foot for application.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I just talked to my Dad, Pale_Pony, you were right. And Yes he said it is very expensive, he thought it cost about $25 per foot for the material but you are supposed to be licensed to install it. Doesn't sound practical to me. The guys that installed it in the building he built came over to the house and drank some beer and ate some BBQ a few nights in a row and didn't the application for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top