Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 4:40:43 AM EDT
Last plugs I had were Bosch gapless. After 60k, getting ready to replace them (they are supposedly 100k+, or lifetime or some such bs)

When looking up the plug type in the plug mfg's book, it states a gap of .040. However, on the air canister of my 02 Suburban, it clearly states that the gap should be .060. Which should I go with? I would prefer to set and not have to "test and reset" as the back plugs are a bitch to get to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Last plugs I had were Bosch gapless. After 60k, getting ready to replace them (they are supposedly 100k+, or lifetime or some such bs)

When looking up the plug type in the plug mfg's book, it states a gap of .040. However, on the air canister of my 02 Suburban, it clearly states that the gap should be .060. Which should I go with? I would prefer to set and not have to "test and reset" as the back plugs are a bitch to get to.

Good question.  If exact same plug, I'd go with GM's recommendation.  If it's a different plug, go with the plug mfg.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
doubletap

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question.  If exact same plug, I'd go with GM's recommendation.  If it's a different plug, go with the plug mfg.

That's just it. The placard does not mention plug type, only gap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just it. The placard does not mention plug type, only gap.

Sorry, I missed where you'd written 'gapless,' for the Bosch set you had in there.

I'll bow out of this one.  My guess would be to go with the plug mfg. spec.  Pretty sure GM's .060 spec would have matched the OEM plug mfg. gap spec.

But that's just a WAG.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with the carmaker spec on the emissions sticker.

And Bosch plugs are junk... Splitfires, "gapless", etc.  Go with finewire platinums or iridiums if you want long plug life and good performance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But that's just a WAG.

Nothing wrong with that. lol...

Getting ready for a road trip next week, so I want to make sure everything is GTG. Did a few other minor maintenance items last night. When checking the PVC valve, it wasn't even seated. There's a hose that goes near the top of the engine, to the rear side by the back spark plug. it was just dangling. lol...*facepalm*

I figure 60K on a set of plugs isn't bad. Ignition wires look good. Normally I'd swap them out too, but they are Ligenfelter Magnacor, and should still be ok.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually gap my spark plugs to OE recommendation.  Last time I did plugs on my '00 Silverado, I used OE ACDelco plugs and gapped them to .060. I didn't have any issues with misfire or prefire or running too hot when I pulled them recently, which was about 40k miles after the plug change around 180k miles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And Bosch plugs are junk... Splitfires, "gapless", etc.  Go with finewire platinums or iridiums if you want long plug life and good performance.

I've heard reports of that, but already had the plugs. I've got a set of platinums ready ot be installed (NGK or Champion...don't remember, but steered away from FRAM/AUTOLITE)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Use the OE spec - they designed the ignition system and the rest of the engine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard reports of that, but already had the plugs. I've got a set of platinums ready ot be installed (NGK or Champion...don't remember, but steered away from FRAM/AUTOLITE)

All my GM's have run best with OE or OE-recommended plugs.  I  use Delcos' with Irridium. They're cheaper than the "High end" spark plugs and are exactly what OE calls for.

These days, plugs aren't a major "performance" point like they were on my '86 K2500 Chevy. Get what the OE recommends, if you still can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While Fram filters are pretty much junk, Autolite makes good spark plugs. Both companies are owned by Honeywell, as are Prestone and Bendix.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

While Fram filters are pretty much junk, Autolite makes good spark plugs. Both companies are owned by Honeywell, as are Prestone and Bendix.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I knew the filters were pure crap, but never used their plugs due to their filter wrap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to keep that in mind. I knew the filters were pure crap, but never used their plugs due to their filter wrap.

Autolite was the only brand of plug that I could get to hold up in my drag cars.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
It's my understanding that you ARE NOT supposed to touch an iridium plug with a gap tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top