Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 4:14:00 PM EST
.........because I bought my new scope from SWFA, instead!!!!

Monday, I was looking at a new scope for my M1A. I asked the clerk at my local Gander Mtn store if they had a military discount. He didn't know, but offered to ask. I checked back today: the clerk had been moved from optics to camping supplies. He did ask his Gen. Mgr today, who said that they only give a discount to local law enforcement. The clerk suggested I talk with the new guy in optics to see if he could help me out with the price.

At that point, I wasn't going to pursue it any further with Gander Mtn. until I checked with SWFA. On their website, they listed the scope at the same price as Gander Mountain. Obviously, it paid to ask questions! SWFA doesn't have a military discount...but then again, they don't need it! They were already able to offer a better price!

I probably would have been lazy enough to not research a better price, if Gander Mtn had been able to cut the price as little as 8.25% (equivalent to the local sales tax)...caveat emptor....

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:20:46 PM EST
It does pay to shop around.

I do try to spend as much money locally, but I also refuse to be raped by my local retailers too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:21:12 PM EST
I bought a scope from SWFA recently and it was the fastest service I have ever recieved. They are my first choice when I'm looking for optics from now on!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:27:09 PM EST
I ordered a Leupold scope from SWFA back on May 4th. The next day I get an email saying the scope is out of stock and "More are en-route and your order will be shipped upon arrival."
I sent an email back to them on May12th asking them what the ETA was on my scope coming in. Thier responce was "Sorry, we do not have an ETA on the new scopes." and that was it. I'm not very impressed so far!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:52:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAPITALIST:
I ordered a Leupold scope from SWFA back on May 4th. The next day I get an email saying the scope is out of stock and "More are en-route and your order will be shipped upon arrival."
I sent an email back to them on May12th asking them what the ETA was on my scope coming in. Thier responce was "Sorry, we do not have an ETA on the new scopes." and that was it. I'm not very impressed so far!

Give them a break. Most American companies are run at or near max capacity for maximum efficiency(ie for max return on stockholder's equity), and so the factory has very little in-stock. The mfg'r therefore has to make some more of this model, but they just can interrupt the current assembly schedule line because that would really goof things up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:13:06 PM EST
As far as doing what they say, I have no problem with SWFA. But when I tried to put a scope on a Savage 110 recently, they weren't as helpful as I'd have liked.

I said, "I want to mount this model Leupold on this model rifle. Can you help me pick out the best mounts and rings?" Short answer, NO. I had to buy 2 sets of rings and return the ones that didn't work.

They're great if you know EXACTLY what you want.
Top Top