Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2013 2:01:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 4:57:44 PM EST by Bloodshot57]
Well I got called out this weekend by this girl I've been seeing for being too skinny and thus she could never date me. Which is fine I appreciate straight forward people and I agree I am too skinny.

So as the title suggests I'd like to gain 30-40 lbs in the next 4 months (I imagine this is a reasonable achievement, but I really don't know much on working out or gaining weight, hence this thread).
I guess 30 pounds is not a reasonable achievement so 20 lbs 5 months then? I just need some sort of goal to shoot for.
I'm looking for help from the arfcom pros , how should I accomplish this? Diet suggestions? Also I'd like to start working out at home for the first couple of weeks, then progressing to the gym so I don't look like a limp wet noodle. As for the time frame, its not completely necessary but I would like to set some sort of goal.

Stats/ info:
23 years old.
6 ft
130lbs

Never eat breakfast (duhh this needs to change)
Never worked out (see above ^)
High metabolism (I've put on 5 lbs since high school )
Fairly active life style.

And of course (I probably don't need to mention this, but "in" before the eat 10 cheeseburgers a day crowd ) I'd like to gain the weight while retaining muscle definition
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 2:11:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 2:40:22 PM EST by tcataz]
Originally Posted By Bloodshot57:
Well I got called out this weekend by this girl I've been seeing for being too skinny and thus she could never date me. Which is fine I appreciate straight forward people and I agree I am too skinny.

So as the title suggests I'd like to gain 30-40 lbs in the next 4 months (I imagine this is a reasonable achievement, but I really don't know much on working out or gaining weight, hence this thread).
I'm looking for help from the arfcom pros , how should I accomplish this? Diet suggestions? Also I'd like to start working out at home for the first couple of weeks, then progressing to the gym so I don't look like a limp wet noodle. As for the time frame, its not completely necessary but I would like to set some sort of goal.

Stats/ info:
23 years old.
6 ft
130lbs

And of course (I probably don't need to mention this, but "in" before the eat 10 cheeseburgers a day crowd ) I'd like to gain the weight while retaining muscle definition

Okay first and formost you will NOT gain 30-40 lbs in 4 months unless you put on some fat....that is just not reasonable. You are on the skinny side to suddenly put on 25-30%of your bodyweight in muscle without losing muscle definition is impossible. Not trying to be a dick or get you down just need to set a more reasonable goal.

You definately need to eat more food especially more protein and fat.
Next don't worry about what other people in the gym think of you go to the gym to improve yourself and ignore them.
Look into a beginer routine that uses the major lifts Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press. Also it should use some type of linear progressions. Below are three pretty good programs
West side 4 skinny bastards
Greyskull LP--I like this program the best.
Starting Strength

Will type more later when not on phone.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 2:39:31 PM EST
All the ectomorphs I know seem to have a very hard time gaining weight. Eat! Eat! Eat! Lift! Lift! Lift!
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:03:42 PM EST
Fuckin midget.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:07:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 3:22:28 PM EST by BASE]
Wow, 6' and 130.

I put on about 30 in 3 months earlier this year but I was starting at 185. You are going to have a much harder time at your weight I think. FWIW squatting and eating did it for me. You would probably be a good candidate for GOMAD.

ETA: I was initially inspired by a book called "Super Squats"...basically 20 rep squats and the GOMAD. I think the Starting Strength program is probably a better idea. They have pretty decent forum that you should check out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 3:45:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
All the ectomorphs I know seem to have a very hard time gaining weight. Eat! Eat! Eat! Lift! Lift! Lift!

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:09:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By smithc6:
Fuckin midget.

hahahahaha screw you dude I'm nice
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:13:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 4:18:57 PM EST by RolandofGilead]
1. Squat heavy
2. Eat
3. Deadllift
4. Eat
5. Bench press
6. Eat.
Repeat

Most of the time I'm a big believer in eating clean. For you, at 6' and 130# I'd loosen up a bit. You just need to eat a LOT. Drink a lot of milk. Lift a lot. Lots of good programs listed above, pick one, stick with it, and eat a lot.

Also, eat a lot.
And lift.

Working out at home isn't going to do much for you unless you have a barbell and squat rack.

ETA- What the fuck man, I'm 3" shorter than you and weigh almost 60# more and I'm not even a big dude
ETA2- Yeah if you gain that much that fast a lot is going to be fat...have more realistic expectations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:18:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By BASE:
Wow, 6' and 130.

I put on about 30 in 3 months earlier this year but I was starting at 185. You are going to have a much harder time at your weight I think. FWIW squatting and eating did it for me. You would probably be a good candidate for GOMAD.

ETA: I was initially inspired by a book called "Super Squats"...basically 20 rep squats and the GOMAD. I think the Starting Strength program is probably a better idea. They have pretty decent forum that you should check out.

If you put on 30 lbs of lean muscle in 3 months that is some damn good progress.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:21:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
1. Squat heavy
2. Eat
3. Deadllift
4. Eat
5. Bench press
6. Eat.
Repeat

Most of the time I'm a big believer in eating clean. For you, at 6' and 130# I'd loosen up a bit. You just need to eat a LOT. Drink a lot of milk. Lift a lot. Lots of good programs listed above, pick one, stick with it, and eat a lot.

Also, eat a lot.
And lift.

Working out at home isn't going to do much for you unless you have a barbell and squat rack.

ETA- What the fuck man, I'm 3" shorter than you and weigh almost 60# more and I'm not even a big dude
ETA2- Yeah if you gain that much that fast a lot is going to be fat...have more realistic expectations.

I am 1" taller and i am 120 lbs heavier.

Like i said earlier eat a lot and give Greyskull LP a try.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:23:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 4:23:28 PM EST by Flyer5]
Get married.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:33:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By tcataz:

Okay first and formost you will NOT gain 30-40 lbs in 4 months unless you put on some fat....that is just not reasonable. You are on the skinny side to suddenly put on 25-30%of your bodyweight in muscle without losing muscle definition is impossible. Not trying to be a dick or get you down just need to set a more reasonable goal.

You definately need to eat more food especially more protein and fat.
Next don't worry about what other people in the gym think of you go to the gym to improve yourself and ignore them.
Look into a beginer routine that uses the major lifts Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press. Also it should use some type of linear progressions. Below are three pretty good programs
West side 4 skinny bastards
Greyskull LP--I like this program the best.
Starting Strength

Will type more later when not on phone.

Nope you are not being a dick. West side for skinny bastards seems quite time intensive, Greyskull LP seems more reasonable, I should have a gym membership in the next few days then.
And the eating more already started today, although it well require some getting used to.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:41:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
1. Squat heavy
2. Eat
3. Deadllift
4. Eat
5. Bench press
6. Eat.
Repeat

Also, eat a lot.
And lift.

So, I'm guessing I should eat more . On it.
Personally I think alot has to do with genetics my brothers are almost the same exact size as me.

Thanks for taking interest
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:42:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By Flyer5:
Get married.

Hmm this option seems to be the most effective & and expensive
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:43:07 PM EST
Oh yeah, genetics plays a huge role....you can still fight them to some extent though
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:46:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 4:46:29 PM EST by petefitz]
maybe i'm reading too much into your opening thread OP but just to be clear ...you're not doing this to date this girl are you?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:51:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By petefitz:
maybe i'm reading too much into your opening thread OP but just to be clear ...you're not doing this to date this girl are you?

Most definitely not. I'm not sure as the exact reason why I want to, maybe to just be vindictive with a side of why the fuck not.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:53:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/15/2013 4:54:13 PM EST by petefitz]
I say put the weight on (get all YOKED OUT) and when she gets all hot and bothered over your new hotness, tell her to go f%&k herself... but if she does that you'll probably wanna watch.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 5:56:29 AM EST
I've been pounding food down my fat face for a week straight since I got back from traveling. I've gained... drum roll please... -2lbs. Right now I'm at 170 which is about normal. I was up to 180 briefly. I'm just trying to stay above 160.

Eat and lift.

I think drinking lots of milk helps me. But then I'm not 130.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 5:58:20 AM EST

Most definitely not. I'm not sure as the exact reason why I want to, maybe to just be vindictive with a side of why the fuck not.

Good. Though I'd tailor my reason moreso towards "I don't want to blow the fuck away when someone rips a fart in the room."
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:05:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Razoreye:

Good. Though I'd tailor my reason moreso towards "I don't want to blow the fuck away when someone rips a fart in the room."

Its the sneezes that get me, they generate some wind
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:13:14 AM EST
GOMAD
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 1:25:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/16/2013 1:26:22 PM EST by GlockZen]

I guess 30 pounds is not a reasonable achievement so 20 lbs 5 months then? I just need some sort of goal to shoot for.

Stats/ info:
23 years old.
6 ft
130lbs

I was 5'11 and about 140 going into my 1st semester at college, buy 2rd year I was 165, by 3rd semester, I hit 189. Working it on and off. For the past 15 years been around 165-175 depending on how poorly I eat. I am a hard gainer.

Eat, untill you cant eat any more. Dont even worry about eating clean because honestly its too much of a hassle, and you are not athlete, you just need a base to cut from. Dont go crazy and just eat twinkies, but eat full meals, with dessert, and always be snacking, nuts, tuna, bananas, pb&j, whatever. drink lots of milk, Read up on zone diet for good habits. Get a whey protein shake for post workouts, creatine cycles will also help. You probably need about 3K plus of calories a day.

Workout do whatever you like. If I had to do it again, dont wast time on muscle isolating movements. Due full body compound, do body weight (push ups, pull ups), Lifts, Squats.

Like some said get the shit out of your head your are going to be ripped with a six pack. You need to gain weight first.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:40:44 PM EST

Get married.

This + get old. Guaranteed weight gain.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:36:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By frogwater:

Get married.

This + get old. Guaranteed weight gain.

I'm working on that, one day at a time
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 1:33:16 AM EST
-Get on a serious workout plan 4+ days a week and TRACK your progression with a log to make sure you continue to push yourself by increasing reps/weight

-Try to sleep atleast 7 hours every night

-Think about getting on creatine and drink plenty of water throughout the day

-EAT!

Breakfast
Snack (PB sandwich or other))
Lunch
Snack (PB sandwich or other)
Dinner
Snack

If you're having trouble getting the extra calories everyday, get on a weight gainer shake or make your own to help you with the calories

Ground up Oats
Whey Protein
1% Milk
Peanut Butter
Tbsp Honey

An easy 600+ calorie meal that you can chug down in a few seconds, even if you're not hungry

Will you gain fat? Sure, but you can always cut that down later. Most of the time you're in clothes anyways, and gaining some fat will look a lot better then being a bean pole and always having loose clothing and looking weak. Using the above method I've managed to put on 35lbs over the last couple years. With your weight, I think you could probably do that in half the time if you want the change bad enough and stick with it

Mike
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 3:22:27 AM EST
^ whole milk
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:01:43 PM EST
Eat. Lift. Sleep.

Repeat
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:25:51 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeEagle12:
-Get on a serious workout plan 4+ days a week and TRACK your progression with a log to make sure you continue to push yourself by increasing reps/weight

-EAT!

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

If you're having trouble getting the extra calories everyday, get on a weight gainer shake or make your own to help you with the calories

Ground up Oats
Whey Protein
1% Milk
Peanut Butter
Tbsp Honey

An easy 600+ calorie meal that you can chug down in a few seconds, even if you're not hungry

Will you gain fat? Sure, but you can always cut that down later. Most of the time you're in clothes anyways, and gaining some fat will look a lot better then being a bean pole and always having loose clothing and looking weak. Using the above method I've managed to put on 35lbs over the last couple years. With your weight, I think you could probably do that in half the time if you want the change bad enough and stick with it

Mike
View Quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that creatine business. That's hell of alot of eating, hopefully my appetite will increase. The shake you suggested also looks very helpful, I will be using that for sure.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:26:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By hss0p:
Eat. Lift. Sleep.

Repeat
View Quote

Doesn't seem like there is enough eating in that formula
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:04:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2013 3:07:59 PM EST by RANGER_556]
Eat 6-7 times a day. Lift 5-6 days a week.

Do legs at least 3-4 days a week. You'll gain weight by squatting. Too many people bench and try to get big upper body with no leg work. Leg work is key.

Edit: oh yeah, it will take time. The only way to put on weight that fast is steroids and growth hormone. You're way too young for that stuff!
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:46:51 PM EST
Track how many calories you take in to maintain your current weight. Eat 300-500 (Probably closer to 500 in your case) over your maintenance. Find a good bodybuilding plan. Lift. That is it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:54:54 PM EST
Eating is the hardest part for me. I have to keep eating. Once you start eating a lot your body will crave food more often.

Also another big thing is stay away from alcohol as much as possible that does not help at all. A few beers here and there but that's it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:41:20 PM EST
I put on about 20 pounds in the past month, doing SS and eating a lot. How much is fat, idk to be honest. I've been using pull ups as a gauge to see how much is dead weight, and right now I can almost do a full one, the bar being at eye level, chin doesn't clear it. Before starting strength, and weighing 173, I couldn't do one/or struggled a lot. Now at 194, it wasn't that bad. I'll take another pic and compare the two, but I've always had a belly, but I can faintly see my rib cage. Gained an inch on my belly, which I'm fine with. Idk if it matters, but I've tried SS for 2 months, and went from 165 - 187 before I quit. Pulled a muscle from bad technique on squating.

Some tips tho:
If milks ok with you, a gallon isn't hard to do. And if your having mental blocks, buy 4 quarts instead of one gallon. They "look" smaller, at least to me. Chugging a quart at work (bar backing) got me past how big a gallon is. So thats 2400 cals right there. Add 4 scoops of protein powder, and that's an extra 600ish. So you're drinking 3000 cals, you only need to eat 1500-2000 cals in food. Thats 3 meals of 500-666 cals. Which are small. A baconator is 970, a pb sandwich is 350-4, to give you a gauge. I personally love milk, and it doesn't bother me one bit. And working behind the bar for long hours, it's an easy way to add calories when its busy. The best thing about eating this much, is bragging to all the girls on how much weight you gained, when they're trying to lose some. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:50:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2013 6:52:12 AM EST by shotgunfatcat]

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that creatine business. That's hell of alot of eating, hopefully my appetite will increase. The shake you suggested also looks very helpful, I will be using that for sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

-EAT!

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Ground up Oats
Whey Protein
1% Milk
Peanut Butter
Tbsp Honey

Mike

His recipe for the shake can be made into protein balls as well. I make a double batch of these for a snack at work. (I don't eat them all in one day, I just make double batches)

1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips

But here is one like the shake.

1 C dry oats
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/3 C chocolate chips (optional)
1/3 C raw sunflower seeds (can substitute any kind of chopped nuts)
1/4 C dried cranberries
3 Tbsp natural peanut butter (can substitute other nut butters)
3 Tbsp Ground flaxseed
1 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
1/3 C nonfat milk (can substitute almond or soy milk)

Just mix and make into balls. Just a bit smaller than a golf ball. And about 100 calories.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:39:08 PM EST
Not trying to hijack, but I'll post it here anyway. What's the best way to increase appetite?

I'm 6'7" and 150lbs

I eat 4-5 meals a day average about 3000 calories a day. Sometimes more sometimes less. Recently started going to the gym when I have time.

However my problem is I have zero appetite in the morning. I'm pretty active mowing lawns and working.

I just can't keep weight on me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:40:21 AM EST
I envy you... I can look at food and gain 10 lbs.

You should take advantage of buffets for starters. Eat big and eat often but so it by eating food that isn't total shit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:44:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By TMLoftis:
Not trying to hijack, but I'll post it here anyway. What's the best way to increase appetite?

I'm 6'7" and 150lbs

I eat 4-5 meals a day average about 3000 calories a day. Sometimes more sometimes less. Recently started going to the gym when I have time.

However my problem is I have zero appetite in the morning. I'm pretty active mowing lawns and working.

I just can't keep weight on me.
View Quote

It's mental... Don't eat to satisfy your palate, but rather to satisfy yourself in the mirror. Not saying you can't eat delicious meals...

It's the same for people wanting to lose weight. They have to learn that food is not to be consumed for satisfaction.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:24:53 PM EST

-EAT!

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snack

Ground up Oats
Whey Protein
1% Milk
Peanut Butter
Tbsp Honey

Mike
View Quote

This is almost exactly what I did

I was 150 pounds and after about 5 months I managed to gain 35 pounds. The key thing was I ate a lot more. I ate 4 big meals. I worked out till the fatigue was too much and couldn't lift anymore.

The shake thing did wonders for me. I have a hard time eating breakfast so I made a shake that consisted of:
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 cup oats
1 scoop of Combat Powder by Muscle Pharm (banana)
1 spoonful of peanut butter (JIF Natural)
1 frozen banana

I have been drinking this same shake for a year now, every single day, before my workout in the morning. It really did wonders to help me get in extra calories.

Right before bed I take another protein shake with carb powder. It is made by NOW Sports and is called Carbo Gain.

My wife loves the size I've put on and I don't look like a little boy anymore.
Top Top