Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 9:19:14 PM EDT

KERRY: The president got $84 from a timber company that owns, and he's counted as a small business. Dick Cheney's counted as a small business. That's how they do things. That's just not right.

BUSH: I own a timber company?

(LAUGHTER)

That's news to me.

(LAUGHTER)

Need some wood?

"Timber company"?????  

BushTaxReturn2002 Page 5:

Net Profit From Business:
A. Principal Business or Profession including product or service.

OIL & GAS PRODUCTION
C. Business Name. If no separate business name, leave blank:
THE LONE STAR TRUST
Net Profit.......... $84

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
when did he say that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Need some wood?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
when did he say that?

Towards the end of the debate. I think that was the funniest thing all night. Need some wood?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Kerry: "...that's how they do it..."

YEP.  BIG WOOD!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Factcheck.org claims its also a timber producer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
To be honest... this seemed like the most tense I'd seen president Bush all night.

He got up and looked like he was going to pound Kerry for lieing about him.  Then shook off, said "I own a timber company?"  (while still a bit angry)

If they were in a bar... Kerry would have bar-stool shaped indentation across his chest.

When he said  "Want some wood?" , I couldn't help but laugh.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I still like this though....

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link?

I don't see anything refering to this on that site.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

Here's the quote:
President Bush himself would have qualified as a "small business owner" under the Republican definition, based on his 2001 federal income tax returns. He reported $84 of business income from his part ownership of a timber-growing enterprise. However, 99.99% of Bush's total income came from other sources that year. (Bush also qualified as a "small business owner" in 2000 based on $314 of "business income," but not in 2002 and 2003 when he reported his timber income as "royalties" on a different tax schedule.)  

Here's the link
www.factcheck.org/article.aspx@DocID=265.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I am, by far, not a financial guru. However, the Lone Star Trust doesn't seem to be a company but rather the oil and gas investment holdings. Do they deal in timber? I don't know, there isn't much in Google about them.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, Bush appears to have sold out in 2002. See page 5 of his 2003 tax return. He claimed capital gains on the selling of the trust. Maybe some of you know more about this than I do.
www.taxhistory.org/thp/presreturns.nsf/Returns/43394514D22A89F185256E750075F0F4/$file/bush03.pdf
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course we don't know if Kerry owns a timber company because he won't release his tax records.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Would think the new media would pick up on SKerrys mistake, seem to always find fault in W but not sKerry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

Here's the quote:
President Bush himself would have qualified as a "small business owner" under the Republican definition, based on his 2001 federal income tax returns. He reported $84 of business income from his part ownership of a timber-growing enterprise. However, 99.99% of Bush's total income came from other sources that year. (Bush also qualified as a "small business owner" in 2000 based on $314 of "business income," but not in 2002 and 2003 when he reported his timber income as "royalties" on a different tax schedule.)  

Here's the link

in that link they are already backpedalling on their "timber owner"

(Oct 9; CORRECTION: What we originally reported as a "timber-growing" enterprise is actually described on Bush's tax return as an "oil and gas production" concern, the Lone Star Trust. We were confused because The Lone Star Trust currently owns 50% of another company, "LSTF, LLC", described on Bush’s 2003 financial disclosure forms as a limited-liability company organized "for the purpose of the production of trees for commercial sales." So, Bush does own part interest in a tree-growing company, but the $84 came from an oil and gas company and we should have reported it as such.)

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#18]
We wouldn't have any effing trees if it weren't for the lumber companies.  This isn't the old days when native forests were mowed down.  Trees are an effing crop that is planted, grown and then harvested.  In fact, trees are an extremely efficient means of sequestering carbon dioxide.

I want the American people to listen to me.  GROWING TREES AND TURNING THEM INTO HOUSES IS GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT BECAUSE IT REMOVES MASSIVE QUANTITIES OF CARBON DIOXIDE FROM THE ENVIRONMENT AND TIES IT UP IN HOUSING!

I'm not talking through my hat either.  I have a Masters in Horticulture from Texas A&M University.  I know something about trees.  I was in the composting business for many years and a huge scale.  Did you know that composting releases greenhouse gases into the envirnoment?  Don't get me wrong; composting is good.  But if you want to cut down on greenhouse gases, plant trees and then turn them into durable goods.

People, pine trees are a short-lived species that will become diseased and die if we don't cut them down while they are still good for something.

It is my educated and experienced opinion that most people don't know crap about the dynamics of the environment as it pertains to the earth's biocycle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

Here's the quote:

Here's the link

in that link they are already backpedalling on their "timber owner"

(Oct 9; CORRECTION: What we originally reported as a "timber-growing" enterprise is actually described on Bush's tax return as an "oil and gas production" concern, the Lone Star Trust. We were confused because The Lone Star Trust currently owns 50% of another company, "LSTF, LLC", described on Bush’s 2003 financial disclosure forms as a limited-liability company organized "for the purpose of the production of trees for commercial sales." So, Bush does own part interest in a tree-growing company, but the $84 came from an oil and gas company and we should have reported it as such.)

I just wanted to but the BTT. Kerry is FOS. No doubt, he got the info from factcheck's website, and took it as the gospel. Need some wood?
tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top