Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 3:37:30 AM EST
Hey guys,
I'm having a hard time decide between the two rifles. I know completely different but I like both. I have the new Colt .22lr AR-15 and love it to death (nay sayers psh!) so I know about AR's a little bit. I was going to build one myself if I was to get one. My buddy has a lower that is NIB that he said he would sell me if I wanted to start a build.
Any advice would be awesome. I would probably just be using it for plinking around every now and again as I got the .22 AR that is cheap to shoot :)
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:41:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 3:44:05 AM EST by Wave]
Are you serious? No brainer here, get an AR-15, especially since you already have the COLT .22LR.

Edited to add - I just picked up a GSG-5 SD yesterday. I was this close to picking up one of those COLT/Walther 22's but just didn't feel like being the local testpilot for an unproven weapon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:42:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By Wave:
Are you serious? No brainer here, get an AR-15, especially since you already have the COLT .22LR.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:44:07 AM EST
Get off the crackweed and get an AR.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:45:08 AM EST
LOL alright guys I just wanted to get some opinions before I pulled the trigger on it. You guys like the Del-Ton uppers?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:51:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:25:08 AM EST
Geez guys, everyone has to start somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:26:44 AM EST
What's wrong with you guys. What's the standard programmed response?

GET BOTH.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:34:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 4:34:57 AM EST by starjammir]
Originally Posted By Nasal_Avenger:

True, Im not really THAT new to guns I just wanted to get a feel for what people who have shot the GSG-5 and the AR more than me thought about them...my current gun are:
Turkish Mouser
Ruger P89 9mm––selling to the girlys brother
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 10/22
Winchester 12 gauge
Beretta 20 gauge
Colt AR-15 .22LR

So I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys thought.
I know its my first post but I have been lurking for sometime now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:41:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 4:43:40 AM EST by 2FALable]
Originally Posted By starjammir:

True, Im not really THAT new to guns I just wanted to get a feel for what people who have shot the GSG-5 and the AR more than me thought about them...my current gun are:
Turkish Mouser
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 10/22
Winchester 12 gauge
Beretta 20 gauge
Colt AR-15 .22LR

Turkish Mouser? That sounds like a really old .22lr

Instead of another .22 unless you intend to use what I assume is a Turkish Mauser when the zombies attack, you should get an AR-15 chambered in 5.56 not .22lr

and you're selling your only semi-auto magazine fed handgun?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:44:38 AM EST
Isn't their a big price difference between these 2 guns though. I personally havent looked but am interested.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:46:08 AM EST
Buy/build an AR-15, sell the Colt/Umarex .22 and buy a dedicated .22 upper!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:48:47 AM EST
i still have a hard time paying $460 for a .22 - the coolness factor is that it looks like an mp5, but still...i went ahead and brought a colt 6920 last week instead
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:50:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
i still have a hard time paying $460 for a .22 - the coolness factor is that it looks like an mp5, but still...i went ahead and brought a colt 6920 last week instead

SBR it

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:52:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ridge_Runner_5:

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

SBR it
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/GSG/22lr.jpg

i'm going to SBR my colt instead
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:55:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 4:58:34 AM EST by DarkStar]

Get the AR...

At one time there were 4 of the latest 2.5 generation GSG's in my collection... 2 carbines and 2 PK's along with 30 of the 22 round factory magazines... I now own NO GSG's... I got tired of the constant slam fires all 4 exhibited, I didn't see the point of sending them back to ATI... I figured if 1 has a problem it's an anomaly, if all have the same problem it's a design flaw so all were traded away with no regrets...

YMMV...

Edited to add: No modifications were done to any of the GSG's, they were out of the box stock...

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:02:27 AM EST
I bought a GSG-5 and I thought is was pretty cool until I got it home and realized I could have bought a new upper or a Glock for the same price. When you take it apart you wont be impressed. Get the AR.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:07:43 AM EST
I had a GSG-5 for about 3 weeks. I would go with the AR. The GSG-5 was fun too shoot and cool looking but it was a pain to clean. I am not sure if they have fixed the problem yet but when they first came out there where a lot of problems with the bolts cracking after about 2000 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:27:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 5:28:01 AM EST by starjammir]
Originally Posted By 2FALable:

Turkish Mauser
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 10/22
Winchester 12 gauge
Beretta 20 gauge
Colt AR-15 .22LR

Instead of another .22 unless you intend to use what I assume is a Turkish Mauser when the zombies attack, you should get an AR-15 chambered in 5.56 not .22lr

LOL the turkish mauser (I spelled it wrong) is a old WW1 / 2 gun they carried. Its a 8mm and about $1.10 a shot to shoot. And selling the Colt is an awesome idea when I build the AR...thanks for the idea! Should I get the Spikes upper or just the conversion?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:31:55 AM EST
Go with the dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:36:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By 2FALable:

Turkish Mauser
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 10/22
Winchester 12 gauge
Beretta 20 gauge
Colt AR-15 .22LR

LOL the turkish mauser (I spelled it wrong) is a old WW1 / 2 gun they carried. Its a 8mm and about $1.10 a shot to shoot. And selling the Colt is an awesome idea when I build the AR...thanks for the idea! Should I get the Spikes upper or just the conversion?

You're paying way too much for 8mm. You can get surplus for .25 to .35 per shot.

I shoot a drop in (colt) conversion kit in my AR. A dedicated upper is nice, but you can do just fine with a drop-in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:36:38 AM EST
If you don't already have an AR-15 in .223/5.56mm then go that way. This is in the necessity category. The GSG-5 is in the fun/play category.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:43:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 5:48:20 AM EST by starjammir]
Originally Posted By JAD:

You're paying way too much for 8mm. You can get surplus for .25 to .35 per shot.

I shoot a drop in (colt) conversion kit in my AR. A dedicated upper is nice, but you can do just fine with a drop-in.

I had that stuff but most of it is crap though. It wouldnt fire all the time and has the corrosive primers. And nope, I dont have a .223/5.56 AR yet
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:08:35 AM EST
Well guys I just ordered my STAG lower should be at my FFL guy on friday :)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:13:00 AM EST
This is ARfCOM, and the ARFCOM rule has not been employed yet?

GET BOTH
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:16:29 AM EST
AR 15 with dedicated Spikes .22 upper, or at least a Spikes drop in conversion.

$500 for the 'Colt" pot metal .22?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:16:31 AM EST

Turkish Mouser
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 10/22
Winchester 12 gauge
Beretta 20 gauge
Colt AR-15 .22LR

This is AR15.com, what'd you think we'd say (besides get both).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:28:53 AM EST
These are two completely different firearms that shouldn't even be compared. It sounds like you are just buying one of them just to buy something new. My advise would be to sit down and think about why you want one or the other and decide which one you really need if you need one at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:29:02 AM EST
Any idea where to order the upper that isnt backed up? I want a flat top 16" no bells or whistles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:29:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By AndrewS:
These are two completely different firearms that shouldn't even be compared. It sounds like you are just buying one of them just to buy something new. My advise would be to sit down and think about why you want one or the other and decide which one you really need if you need one at all.

We dont need any of them lol, its all about what we want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:30:48 AM EST
You could get the other side of the opinions by going to GSG-5.com and asking what they think... oh wait.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:37:55 AM EST
I skipped the GSG last year and bought a 9mm clone...(got it cheap at auction) swapped a few parts out with authentic HK to make it run right..put a collapsible stock on when I got some money.....sent off for an SBR stamp when I had some more money....sent it off to the gunsmith for a cut and 3 lug when I got some more money....my "pay as you go" HK clone gets more range time now than any of my other guns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:44:11 AM EST
colt always
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:04:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By AndrewS:

We dont need any of them lol, its all about what we want.

All of my firearms were purchased with a specific role in mind.
Top Top