Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:31:03 PM EDT

In the process of getting a 2 year old German Shepherd Dog... what should I expect?  Anything I should be doing or not doing?  Any personal experience with training?

Thanks,

~nb
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had three. All I can say is treat them right, they will provide you with enjoyment for as long as they are alive.

One thing about GSD's is that they need to exercise.  They are working dogs and they need to run.  If you don't have the means to exercise them and let them run, get a different dog.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It's always hard to say with a dog that you didn't raise from a pup, but generally speaking you can't go wrong with a GSD.  They are easy to train, most are good with kids and other animals, and most are as loyal as the day is long.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
i've trained about 200 or so as working dogs and roughly that many as family dogs.

get him vet checked..for hips..
join a ScHutzhund club.. YEEEEEeeeehaaaawwwwwwww

they are inherantly smarter than most owners..
they THRIVE on discipline.
the more you OB train..the more they love it..
these dogs were bred to work..and deserve the stimuli.

i train working dogs..as well as hunt test and quality hunting labradors and all i can say is that..there is NO...dog more equiped for excelling in training and OB than dogs of the sheperd herding varieties.

the german, belgium and dutch sheperds, specifically.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's always hard to say with a dog that you didn't raise from a pup, but generally speaking you can't go wrong with a GSD.

+1

Raised mine from a pup. Very loyal, and VERY PROTECTIVE, 24/7 home security!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
My Pup!

They are wonderful!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do don't let it get around any Rott's. They are mortal enemies...!

PS---Their shedding habits are greatly exaggerated also. I rarely sweep up more than 8-9 cubic feet of fur in my shop per/week...

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
i neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tell people about the shedding..
i figure that is the surprise del grande...

sheddenist bastards there ever was...i tell ya.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
We got "Gustoph" as a 1.5yr old.   He was very, very happy to have a permanent family.   I think he might have been beaten as a pup.  He cowers easily if scolded.    He has done great with my young boys.  He loves to go down and get them up for school in the morning.

We are still trying to get him to gain a little weight, but he has put some on since this picture.   We have had him for about 3 months now.  He is a great dog, and I couldn't have done any better by getting a puppy.  Good luck, buy a cordless vacuum.

edited to add:   Take your new dog on bike rides.  Mine loves his 3.5 mile run every day.   He behaves great on a leash.   I have one of those retractable ones, and hold it in my hand in case I have to let it go.  He just trots along, or runs.   It's great.  He gets a good work out and has put on quite a bit of muscle mass because of it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Got bit by one when I was about 4.  I was teasing him while he was eating, I guess I deserved it.  Funny thing after all was done I still remember him looking at me as if he was sorry..

I like them but prefer something that will find and fetch feathered creatures..
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
i grew up with them.  they are the best friend someone could ask for in a dog.  very smart, loyal, and perceptive.  my dog could tell just by my reaction to someone how they should handle the situation.  if someone got me agitated, my dog became agitated, and whenever i brought a friend home my dog treated them like a member of the family.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i grew up with them.  they are the best friend someone could ask for in a dog.  very smart, loyal, and perceptive.  my dog could tell just by my reaction to someone how they should handle the situation.  if someone got me agitated, my dog became agitated, and whenever i brought a friend home my dog treated them like a member of the family.

I forgot to add that "Gus" is my new shadow.  Where I go, he goes.   He never, ever, leaves my side when I am home.   He did this from the first day we picked him up.   When someone new comes to our house, gus is very cautious about them.   His hackels go up, and you can tell he is in a "ready" mode.    He loves people, but is cautious about new people approaching me.  

You will love your new GSD.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Cried like a baby when I had to put mine down.  Baron was a super dog around children and strangers.  It was fun to watch people when he would shift personalities when I would tell him it was "time to go to work"
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
my advice would be respect their size and strength and intelligence,, natural instinct to work and their herding instinct from the start, the levels of which might vary.
Evaluate your dog for a day or so and see if he or she shows dominance, submissiveness, ect., then post any questions you have.
Thes topics always turn into german shepherd photo topics also.
this is fenris yesterday, he was 2 in jan.
Also your dog being 2, that is really at the age where german shepherds have basically just fully matured.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#15]

This is Flash circa 1994. I was a much younger man back then... Flash got cancer at the age of 6 and it got steadily worse rather quickly, R.I.P. I always swore I'd never get another dog after Flash.

This is Blackie a year ago at about one year old. He is now 2 years old (obviously, lol.). He's great with my two small daughters. He is very protective of our family and our property. He is truly a cherished member of our family and gives as much love as he gets. He comes from excellent stock (as you'll see below) and it shows. He's super smart (he amazes me with his problem solving skills at getting food that he's not supposed to have, lol.). Blackie loves sitting on the couch with me and the wife and kids just watching tv as much as he does playing outside.

I once thought I could never replace Flash. Well, I didn't really, but I've sure got a devoted friend for many years to come with Blackie.

This is Blackie's dad, Kai. He was imported from Germany and cost my fair city approximately $38,000. Kai is now retired and his handler bred him with his A.K.C. GSD bitch and that's where I got Blackie.

Long story short, GSD's are a great breed of dog. They offer companionship and loyalty second to none. Beware of hip displasia problems and ask for X rays. It will save you a lot of trouble and heartache in the long run. Do your homework and you'll get a great dog. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had dogs all my life.  My GSD is the finest dog I have ever had.  He is 13 months old, 28 ' at the shoulder and 104 pounds and kicks ass in all departments.  Any questions?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Whatever you do don't let it get around any Rott's. They are mortal enemies...!

+1!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 34 years old and I've had GSD's around me practically my whole life. My basic advice would be to simply treat them nice, play with them as often as possible, watch out for hip and worm problems and, if you can afford to do so, get them another dog as a playmate. Like all dogs they are pack animals and they do better with a playmate whenever you're not around. In return, they will be some of the best buddies that you'll ever have in your whole life. They are absolutely loyal to a fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top