Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/20/2003 1:59:46 PM EDT
Please shed some light on this phenomena...

i am a veterinarian who does alot of horse work...i rarely have a problem with clients paying their bills...

there is usually a check waiting for me at the barn, or i get a check in the mail no later than a week after i looked at a horse.

but the very few clients who have been near impossible to collect money from happen to be ultra-wealthy...they have plenty of money to write me a check...

recently, there is one client who has owed me a significant amount of dough for over a month - i left 3 messages this week, last i spoke to him (about 1 1/2 weeks ago) he said he would mail me a check...

no check yet -

unbelievable...when do they think they are going to pay me?? why do those who have more money than they know what to do with don't seem to give a shit that i haven't gotten paid, whereas my not-so-wealthy clients are ALWAYS on time with their bills..

i am so aggravated by this -

you know what?? these kind of people suck big,fat,donkey dick...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:06:54 PM EDT
How do you think they accummulate all that wealth. It might not be by paying their bills on time. In my experience, the creedo is "use other people's money (or time) to do your business".
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:08:31 PM EDT
i know what you mean. I also find they seem to be MUCH more demanding when they want something. Thats when i become LATE in helping them out.

mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:10:46 PM EDT
Remember this when it's time to update your Christmas Card list.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:16:17 PM EDT
When I had a delivery job, regular folks would give me a tip. It might not have been a large tip, but the gesture was appreciated. the rich people not only never tipped, but demanded more work out of me during the delivery too. One idea, are you set up to accept credit cards? the rich folks probably have one and would offer that more easily than a check.

Btw, being the male pig that I am, may I just say that I admire and revere any woman who can use the expression "these kind of people suck big,fat,donkey dick..."?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:20:33 PM EDT
The smaller bills are the last to get paid.
I'm the worst about the damn $15 ewater bill-- always putting it off....a $200 electric bill-- that demands attention...

Can you repo / mechanics lien the horse?????
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:20:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Emoto:
Btw, being the male pig that I am, may I just say that I admire and revere any woman who can use the expression "these kind of people suck big,fat,donkey dick..."?

ROTF!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:21:17 PM EDT
I would say, that it is because most have no idea what it's like to live month to month. And, they are self centered ass holes who don't respect you.

-HS
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:30:59 PM EDT
Once (and if) you get them to pay, force them to pay up-front for your services. The big Ocala horse guys see mid-30 year old female horse vets (which I am assuming that is what you are) as dispensable. They will pay you when they damn well feel like it, etc.

So, at the risk of losing a client, force him to pay up-front next time before services are provided. It will make him look like a dick and get your message across. And quit being so nice about collecting. I am assuming that you are ranting to us about how he won't pay but you are leaving him nice messages to please return your calls. Get a set of balls and he will respect you for it the next time around.

Rich men in a traditionally man's world (horse racing is one of the oldest good ole' boy clubs) have a very sexist attitude towards the large number of women entering the sport and I imagine this is just an example of that attitude.

Also remember your mid-class clients are in the trenches working every day like you while Money Bags is tanning his fat rolls on the golf course. Your regular clients understand the working man (or woman).

My fiance is thinking about going into a large animal practice (about to graduate). IM me sometime if you don't mind on your thoughts of practicing down there...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:38:03 PM EDT
Money means little to them -- so they assume the same with you.

I owed my boss $400 for a few months now but there's no worries as nether of us are hurting for it. When I was younger if you owed me $10 I'd be after you every day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:45:58 PM EDT
One of my neighbor's (who's not exactly poor; husband is an investment banker, they paid $1.2M for the house/barn/ 8 acres next door to me) was telling me about her farrier. She's doing some barter with him; he just bought a new house and she has a basement full of oriental rugs from a failed business she tried to start up. One of her horses require special shoes that cost close to $500 every 6 weeks, and she only trusts this one farrier to do it right.

She can't get ahold of him for a week, and when she finally gets him on the phone it turns out one of his very wealthy clients flew him down to Florida (on a private jet) for 5 days to shoe all of the horses in his high-end stable.

The farrier finishes up the work, gets flown home, and sends the client his bill.

The client refuses to pay, saying that since the farrier got a free trip to FL (that he didn't want) he shouldn't charge for the work he did while he was there (and it was the only thing he did while he was there).

The farrier has sent the usual lawyer letters at this point. I'm sure my neighbor will fill me in whenever the issue is settled.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2003 3:01:32 PM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
I just saw a show about a guy who is a millionair from the east cost. He is a suspect in two murders, & was on trial for a 3rd suspecious killing in Galvaston Tx. He jumped bond, & was caught a few states away for stealing some band-aids, & a $5.00 sandwich. They said he had $38,000 in cash in his car when arrested. I guess when you have a lot of money it's easy to get the idea that everyone else should just kiss your hinny, & F the world. Don't they know who I am, & what they owe me? Why I could buy & sell their pitifull rearends.
Pretty sad, but painfully true.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:01:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:09:19 PM EDT
yeah...been thinking about the whole credit card thing as well to avoid these situations...as well as tell my new clients that they are required to pay the day i work on your horse...no money...no work.

i was brought up to say what i mean and mean what i say...sometimes i am still in shock when people do these kinds of things...

i really don't want to be a bitch/asshole...dammit i worked, you pay...

but if these people continue with this bullshit, they are about to find out what pissing off someone possessing high levels of estrogen and a tactical rifle can do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:12:44 PM EDT
Same experience practicing law. I had a woman making minimum wage who walked 6 blocks from the bus stop to my office every month to pay $25 on what she owed me, until I had to send her a "paid in full" receipt (several $hundred before it was) as a matter of human decency. Then I had a guy for whom I saved a $3K/month pension and about $150K in assets from a gold-digger 2d wife who listed my $2500 bill in his bankruptcy, and sent a letter gloating over stiffing me. See, he shouldn't have had to pay her anyway, so what did I do for him?

Long story short, I charge nonrefundable retainers, so I know I get some income for my work (unless it's pro bono). You should do the same, especially with people who "fit the profile." Tell them when you agree to come out that you'll need a check for $X before you see the animal (then look at the check to be sure it's signed and not postdated before you head to the barn). That way you know you'll have covered your travel and 15 minutes on scene no matter what.

Oh. . . if you get pissed enough to go after them. . . .
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:12:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GirlWithGuns:
Please shed some light on this phenomena...

i am a veterinarian who does alot of horse work...i rarely have a problem with clients paying their bills...

there is usually a check waiting for me at the barn, or i get a check in the mail no later than a week after i looked at a horse.

but the very few clients who have been near impossible to collect money from happen to be ultra-wealthy...they have plenty of money to write me a check...

recently, there is one client who has owed me a significant amount of dough for over a month - i left 3 messages this week, last i spoke to him (about 1 1/2 weeks ago) he said he would mail me a check...

no check yet -

unbelievable...when do they think they are going to pay me?? why do those who have more money than they know what to do with don't seem to give a shit that i haven't gotten paid, whereas my not-so-wealthy clients are ALWAYS on time with their bills..

i am so aggravated by this -

you know what?? these kind of people suck big,fat,donkey dick...

You need to add a note on the bill you give them that 7 percent will be added to all bills not paid within 30 days ---- watch how fast they pay then. That little note and the inclusion of the 7 percent makes them pay up fast in the future. It is what I do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:15:29 PM EDT
Money is no object if you don't pay your bills.

Often the way to wealth is to be very tight-fisted about every stinking penny. This is particularly true of people who started out with nothing and worked their way to wealth. God bless 'em. However, the weird psychological side-effect is that the same tight-fisted mentality that got them there owns them later. It is very hard to change your psyche from money hording to philanthropy. The human mind is very complex. We have to take care of it, but it in effect owns us.

Mahatma
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:22:30 PM EDT
And that is why my suggestion works, they save money by paying it off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:23:16 PM EDT
i appreciate your suggestions -

yes, i would certainly add 7-10% to the bill past 30 days -

never had to think about it until now with this person...

last word was that the trainer talked to the owner, and the owner is supposed to call me tonight to set up a time for me to get my check tomorrow...

well, no call yet, and what...i now have to put all my other clients on hold tomorrow just so i can collect a check that i should've had in my hands a month ago??

i'm still pissed off...
but i learned my lesson...oh yeah...learned my lesson well...

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:28:01 PM EDT
Pack heat on their next appointment...that may keep you on the deadbeat's mind longer.
My other thought is a bad idea...a horsey enema just before a race or show...bad idea, forget that.
You are right, those people do suck big, fat donkey thingies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:35:09 PM EDT
Since a horse can be transportation and the lowly mechanic who's job it is to fix transportation can slap a "mechanic's lien" on a car for repair bills, I see no objection to slapping a Vet's Lien on those horses. If they are registered and you are a licensed vet, it should be possible. No showing or transfering. No studding either or selling semen in the case of breeding animals.

I'm no lawyer but it seems to me that this is fair. Any lawyers see this as a possibility?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:41:20 PM EDT
Paul, If you are not hurting for it why don't you pay tour boss?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:08:38 PM EDT
well, the owner called and we are to meet saturday so i can pick up my check for the full amount.

you know, they are still making it out like i'm the bad guy here for asking what is OWED to me...

WTF??

and then he had to say how his in-laws are sick, and whatever else is miserable in his life...

well, i took that damned violin he was playing and snapped it like a dry twig...i replied, yes, we all have tough things to go thru...

no excuse...perhaps i should have made it clear in the beginning how i am to be paid, ultimately i guess it is all my fault for not getting paid...

i might have lost a client who might have referred me to others...but in all honesty, my attitude about it just fuck 'em...

is that so wrong?

oh anothergene - i do pack heat wherever i go...my sweet little Glock is my trusty travel companion...in a few months i'll have my CCW...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:26:14 PM EDT
Get a bag of Horsey poo poo...light in on fire and...nevermind.

Don't take the usual answers...make them commit or you will charge a 25% penalty per week, they are late...they wait three weeks then they pay triple. Put in writing and put on a sign at your office. If you can be run over...people will do it no matter if they are wealthy or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:38:49 PM EDT
Two things.

Send it to collections or call them every single day untill you get paid. If that don't work start calling them twice a day.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:52:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
Money means little to them -- so they assume the same with you.

I owed my boss $400 for a few months now but there's no worries as nether of us are hurting for it. When I was younger if you owed me $10 I'd be after you every day.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. People with money have trouble empathizing with those who don't. They often don't remember living paycheck to paycheck, and it's hard for them to realize that it matters whether you get paid this month or next.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:55:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sum-rifle:
Paul, If you are not hurting for it why don't you pay tour boss?

Probably for the same reason I've owed a pard of mine $50 for the past 3 months. Sooner or later, something will come along and even things out. Hell, my pard owed me 50 for about 6 months before that, I needed $100 for something at a fun show and now I'm 50 in the hole.

We have an 'it all comes out in the wash' attitude toward some of the smaller things.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2003 9:57:07 PM EDT by az-ar]

...but if these people continue with this bullshit, they are about to find out what pissing off someone possessing high levels of estrogen and a tactical rifle can do.

ROFL

Good luck with collecting, and I appreciate the work you do too. I was raised on a dairy, and I've seen the nasty stuff you vets have to do all the time.

Edited for clarity
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:27:41 PM EDT
- not sure where in my posts it could have been interpreted that i grew up on a dairy farm...

not so...spent my time at the horse stables...

got my experience with beef/dairy cattle when i went to vet school...

you have no idea how hot is actually is inside of a cow's rectum in July during a Texas summer...

you also have no idea how painful it can be when a few of those extremely ornery heifers decide to clamp down on your arm during your rectal palpation, only to have to sedate the damned thing so i could be freed from the boa-constrictor-like strength of its mighty anal sphincter..

god i've got some great stories...i make a great party guest;)

oh...back to the topic...

after talking to the dude tonight, i realized he STILL doesn't understand how i had to lay out my own money for the pharmaceuticals he wanted, as well as my time, travel, and services. that money that came out of my account was $ for my own horses and my rent $$...i've got bills too...i am the one who was inconvenienced, and he's making it out that he's the one who's in a tough spot...

boo-fucking-hoo...

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:36:56 PM EDT
Forget the Mechanics lien its not worth the time.

The best thing you can do to protect yourself from this kind of thing is to keep up friendly relations with the other local vets and farriers. I'm not going to work for anybody who owes you money unless you're a pain in the ass (a lot of female vets are, sorry). Let th local cat gelder or 6-week wonder from East BF horseshoing institute do his work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:29:57 PM EDT

you have no idea how hot is actually is inside of a cow's rectum in July during a Texas summer...

you also have no idea how painful it can be when a few of those extremely ornery heifers decide to clamp down on your arm during your rectal palpation, only to have to sedate the damned thing so i could be freed from the boa-constrictor-like strength of its mighty anal sphincter..

god i've got some great stories...i make a great party guest;)

I'm not really sure how to reconcile the last statement with the first two...

Anyway, I hope you get your money ASAP!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:55:21 PM EDT
I meant that I was raised on a dairy, and I see some of the nasty stuff that you vets do. Didn't mean to make it sound like you were. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:49:26 PM EDT
My dad is self employed as an electrician and has the same problems. I thought it was very interesting - he said once there is one problem ("The check's in the mail", "Next week", "Mailing it tomorrow") very very very rarely to the people pay up shortly thereafter. They usually pay when requested, or they drag it on and on, one excuse after the next. And yes, usually the people who don't pay are the ones in the expensive houses.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:07:27 AM EDT
Next time you print up your invoice ticket books or what ever your use, do like the dentist & doctors. Have printed in large red letters across your invoices:
"Payment Due At The Time Professional Services Rendered"
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:03:34 AM EDT
Back when I was very new to the banking business, and working as a lowly Commercial Credit Analyst, my Credit Officer sat me down and said:

You have to remeber the difference between the ABILITY to PAY, and the WILLINGNESS to PAY.

Rich people (Doctors, Lawyers, etc.) often have high ability to pay, and low willingness.

Average, everyday, type people often have limited ability, and HIGH WILLINGNESS.

I'd rather lend money to people who are very willing to pay me, rather than people who are able, but don't want to make the payment.

This is evidenced by some of the comments made by other posters above.

From a financial position, I see many very good suggestions, such as sending statements, following up, and printing on the invoice payment expected at time of service.

BTW - I continue to be impressed by the high level of business sense exhibited by people here - much of it being real world experience, not "Book" learning...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:18:53 AM EDT
There are also plenty of wealthy people who are horrible at managing money, and are in reality broke and in serious debt while appearing to be in great fiscal shape.

I've had couples making over $300,000 a year try to apply for a loan only to find out they have been spending $500,000 a year, and can't afford gas for their $120,000 car.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 8:21:28 AM EDT by A-nus]
You should pull a godfather on him and cut the head off his horse and put it in his bed. JK
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:37:04 PM EDT
well, i'm supposed to pickup my check tomorrow...

and you know, they still want me to work on their horse...

not without payment for my work the day i do the work...

or do you think i should no longer do work for them??

at this point, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle...but i'm still upset about the situation, so i don't know if i am ready to make that decision yet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:22:40 PM EDT

well, i'm supposed to pickup my check tomorrow...

and you know, they still want me to work on their horse...

not without payment for my work the day i do the work...

or do you think i should no longer do work for them??

at this point, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle...but i'm still upset about the situation, so i don't know if i am ready to make that decision yet.

Hey!, Money is money! If You can collect it!

Take Your time thinking about it, when They call next time, make Your choice.

...but if these people continue with this bullshit, they are about to find out what pissing off someone possessing high levels of estrogen and a tactical rifle can do.
You'd better not talk too much like that! You'll get some of the sicko's around here too excited!

Take Care,
Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:42:55 PM EDT

I might have lost a client who might have referred me to others...but in all honesty, my attitude about it just fuck 'em...

is that so wrong?

oh anothergene - i do pack heat wherever i go...my sweet little Glock is my trusty travel companion...in a few months i'll have my CCW...

Pieces of shit like that will try or say anything to get the bill put off. Looks like he will need a new Vet. Stay the way you are Girl!!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 5:07:55 PM EDT by Railman44]
These are the types of people that need accountants. Sure, they can afford to pay you but as soon as you leave they get distracted and forget. Nope, I'm not trying to apologize for this behavior. I would go to this persons home and politely demand what's owed you. If they refuse you face to face contact a lawyer. Or, if you're not the toe to toe type of person, send them a registered letter demanding payment within so many days or (your list of options like small claims court, lawyer or collection agency). You may lose a future customer but who needs people like this?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:27:13 AM EDT
update-

got my check today!! woohoo!!

course now, this is saturday and i can't cash that bitch in yet...but first thing monday morning, i'm going to the bank and cashing that sucker...

the guy was such a creep - asking WAY too many personal questions, like where my SO worked..which i did not tell him a damned thing...and just saying how he's sorry for the delay...yada yada yada...and how he's got tons of huge bills yet to pay for this horse...

not my problem buddy...

so...got the check, and they will not be hearing from me anymore.

well, i think it's time to think about xmas shopping - need to get the SO something...we already gave each other one present - we each got those Rino120 - the GPS with the radio integrated - they are schaweet i tell ya...

thinking of getting him some tactical stuff...what i really want to get him is the new Airlite S&W .38 Special Revolver..(i think that is what it is??)...good thing i've got a lot of work ahead of me in the next few weeks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:46:36 AM EDT
As one business owner to another, like someone earlier suggested, set yourself up to accept Visa/Mastercard. Yes you do have to pay a small percentage but it sure is worth it than the hell you went through. 99% of the time that credit card is in their wallet and when you talk to them on the phone about a past bill, You get the cc# right then and there... also if you set up a card file with your regular customers with their credit card # on file, you dont have to wait a week, process the card when you get back in the office that night and the money is IN YOUR ACCOUNT THAT NIGHT!!

Now if you are going to feel that you will lose money on the process charges from the CC's, january 1st is coming up and maybe its time to increase your charges. We review our rates every November-December. looks like January 1 I am giving myself a raise.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:00:51 AM EDT

Strangely enough, that's never been something I wondered about
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:32:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pazzo:
How do you think they accummulate all that wealth. It might not be by paying their bills on time. In my experience, the creedo is "use other people's money (or time) to do your business".

This is why I try as often as possible NOT to purchase items with Mail-In Rebates

Tae
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:33:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Strangely enough, that's never been something I wondered about

Nor am I in any way certain how I will employ such knowledge...

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:49:27 AM EDT
File with the credit bureau and make him look bad. Then file a court claim and write a letter to judge joe brown. Publicly embarrass him in every way you can. (all legally, of course) Make him see the error of his ways...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:01:20 PM EDT

well, the owner called and we are to meet saturday so i can pick up my check for the full amount.

you know, they are still making it out like i'm the bad guy here for asking what is OWED to me...

WTF??

and then he had to say how his in-laws are sick, and whatever else is miserable in his life...

This guy is completely and utterly full of shit.

Any referrals from the likes of him would likely only bring in more people like him- deadbeat assholes. Get the check- cash it IMMEDIATELY, and don't look back.

He's trying to make you feel bad because you called him on the carpet for his bad behavior. Others might have broken both his thighs....

As I learned years ago working as a pro musician and later as a photographer, the rich either pay slow- or they don't pay at all.
Top Top