Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2004 9:37:55 AM EDT
I have an LG VX4400B cell phone with Verizon.  It says GPS on it.  I found the setting and it says E911 only or location.  What I want to know, and LG's website won't tell me, is what exactly does this setting do?  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I can use my Nextel I530 to tell me my position. I  don't exactly know about the location information for 911. There is a lag in getting a position, just as in any GPS. My phone actually keeps the last location you locked on at, which for me is out in the woods. I hope it doesn't said that to 911 in an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Theoretically, when you dial 911, it transmits your coordinates.

<tinfoil>It also lets somebody who wants to find you do so easily</tinfoil>

Now, I am not against GPS, but my tinfoil would be a helluva lot looser if the damn phone knows where I am, why won't it tell ME???  I mean, a simple lat/long, no fancy maps, etc.  This is the biggest thing that bothers me.

It is AGPS (Augmented GPS), which also uses the ID's of the towers the phone is talking from to get your location pretty quick, so the GPS has a bunch of "help" (instead of having to be a parallel 12 channel receiver like the high end GPS of the sporting good store).

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
"Now, I am not against GPS, but my tinfoil would be a helluva lot looser if the damn phone knows where I am, why won't it tell ME??? I mean, a simple lat/long, no fancy maps, etc. This is the biggest thing that bothers me."

That's what I'm talking about.  If I select a GPS setting, why isn't there a window where I can read coordinates?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#4]
You're a po-po...don't you know?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Actually, I have yet to see any benefit from the GPS function during 911 calls.

Must be a fed thing. In that case, no thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
E911 is a service that turns on ONLY if you dial 911.  It gives the location of the phone to the 911 operators, so even if you cant talk, they can find you.  For instance, I was driving down I5 in WA, when I saw someone on the side of the road waving and making a "phone" symbol.  So I called 911 and told them that someone needed assistance.  The 911 operator said "ok, is this by mile marker 164?", I said yeah, and quiped that the E911 must be working, to which she replied "yes, you are traveling westbound on the Michigan St exit off of I5, op, you just turned right on 4th Ave S."  I was a little wierded out and hung up after the conversation was over.

E911 is required in all new cell phone put in service after 01/01/2004.  If you have the phone in 911 only, it will only come on during 911 calls...  BTW, for all you tin foil hatters out there, they have NO way to turn on the location/GPS remotely.  

Oh yeah, its not really GPS, its triangulation/transmission signals bouncing off of the cell towers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't work at communications.  

I realize that it will show them where I'm at if they have the equipment.  

What I want to know is why it won't tell me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Nothin' to see here, folks
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have anything newer then a old Nokia trackphone they can triangulate your position from the carrier signel anyway.

I would really like a cell phone that gave me my position.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#10]
You can also switch location on for non-911 calls. (Look in the settings).
Unfortunately there's no user interface for retrieving the position.

The original idea was that you could call a service, and your
position would be transmitted with the call, so they could
navigate for you or tell you the nearest store you were
looking for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The 911 operator said "ok, is this by mile marker 164?", I said yeah, and quiped that the E911 must be working, to which she replied "yes, you are traveling westbound on the Michigan St exit off of I5, op, you just turned right on 4th Ave S."

That sounds rather precise to be obtained purely by triangulating cell tower signals.

I'm curious - Had you traveled that route and made the turn before you dialed 911, or was she describing what you were actually doing at the moment? If it's the former, one would have to conclude that some record of your movements was being made before you made the phone call.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
toine.farin.free.fr/barbrady.gif

Nothin' to see here, folks

Can I use that on the next cop bashing thread?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]
From what i have heard E911 is not being used in most areas yet.   There are 2 settings on that phone for GPS always on and 911 only.  
Oh your phone can also play Mp3's for ring tones and you can upload your own pictures to it.  
NoKArma
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Go here, and see GPS phone tracking in action:  www.gadgeteer.org/

Pretty cool - you can see where this guy is right now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 911 operator said "ok, is this by mile marker 164?", I said yeah, and quiped that the E911 must be working, to which she replied "yes, you are traveling westbound on the Michigan St exit off of I5, op, you just turned right on 4th Ave S."

That sounds rather precise to be obtained purely by triangulating cell tower signals.

I'm curious - Had you traveled that route and made the turn before you dialed 911, or was she describing what you were actually doing at the moment? If it's the former, one would have to conclude that some record of your movements was being made before you made the phone call.

Nope, I was on the call while traveling that route...  She was receiving real time data.  They can locate down to 3-5 meters with this technology.  BTW, I work for Verizon Wireless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top