Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 9:14:47 AM EDT
Does anyone else own a Garmin GPS72, if so do you have any problems with it?
I got one for x-mas last year and only used it twice. Now it doesn't seem to be working well.
If I go to a remote location there are ALOT of missed areas, And the compass is never right.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for that model in particular, but many (most?) don't have a real compass, but instead give you a heading based off of the direction you're moving.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anyone else own a Garmin GPS72, if so do you have any problems with it?
I got one for x-mas last year and only used it twice. Now it doesn't seem to be working well.
If I go to a remote location there are ALOT of missed areas, And the compass is never right.
Any suggestions?

What are "missed areas"?  Does it have a true (magnetic) compass?  If not, the compass won't work right when standing still or moving slowly/erratically.  

My Rino 130's magnetic compass needs to be re-calibrated when the batteries get low.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Replace batteries, then go to this link for updates:

http://announcements.garmin.com/mailman/listinfo/gps72-updates

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Replace batteries, then go to this link for updates:

http://announcements.garmin.com/mailman/listinfo/gps72-updates

I assume I will have to puchase the cable?

Quoted:
I can't speak for that model in particular, but many (most?) don't have a real compass, but instead give you a heading based off of the direction you're moving.

Thank you I did not know that.

Quoted:

What are "missed areas"?  Does it have a true (magnetic) compass?  If not, the compass won't work right when standing still or moving slowly/erratically.  

My Rino 130's magnetic compass needs to be re-calibrated when the batteries get low.

Batteries are new, and the missed areas are broken lines in the mapping.
Like this------------                           ------                                     ---------     ---------  -------
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Batteries are new, and the missed areas are broken lines in the mapping.
Like this------------                           ------                                     ---------     ---------  -------

Wierd.  It sounds like it either needs a firmware update or it is just plain broken.

The latest firmware is dated Feb 05; it can't hurt to try.

www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00309-00
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys it sounds like I need to purchase a data cable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top