Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 12:36:59 PM EDT
I have a LG 225 that has a GPS locator thing that allows applications and 911/emergency to track my location.

Are there any applications that I can download that can use this GPS feature to show my location (to me) and my speed, ala a Garmin GPS device?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
How do we take them out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
no.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That would be cool if it was possible, but I doubt it is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That would be cool if it was possible, but I doubt it is.

They're cheap and inaccurate (for a GPS at least).  You're better off dropping the coin on a real GPS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It is my understanding that the GPS locator function is usually not really "in" the phone; it is a feature performed by triangulating three cellphone tower signals and the phone just has a feature that will read this as digital data off the towers' signals. So the phone itself is not really "detecting" its position.

I am not certain this is the case for all phones, but I recently drove cross-country, and my phone has this GPS feature--(Audiovox CDM8910)--and when I was out of tower range, nothing on the phone worked at all. So I am believing it is true.
~
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is the scoop.  CDMA phones that are used by Verizon Wireless and Sprint have GPS chips in them.  GSM phones that are used by Cingular use triangulation between towers to pin point your location.  

Verizon Wireless is currently testing a GPS application for your phone that would work like a hand held GPS.  Not sure when it is going to come out but it looks pretty cool in test.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
ahem...ULocate.com
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here is the scoop.  CDMA phones that are used by Verizon Wireless and Sprint have GPS chips in them.  GSM phones that are used by Cingular use triangulation between towers to pin point your location.  

Verizon Wireless is currently testing a GPS application for your phone that would work like a hand held GPS.  Not sure when it is going to come out but it looks pretty cool in test.

Its actually the other way around...CDMA uses triangualtion and the current GSM phones have a gps reciever in the handset.
CDMA uses a gps signal at the site for "timing" so that the site knows where the user is to hans off from site to site. Its actually very accurate considering the distance between towers.
The GSM phones can track position as good as a hanheld GPS unit, but not for the user...The carrier knows where you are and emergency crews can respond to the phones coordinates.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
this is the exact reason why I don't own a cellphone.  I don't want any of that high-tech shit in my life.  GPS is only the next step in total civilian surveillance and global takeover of the New World Order!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I dialed 911 on my LG cellphone a few months ago and it said something like "GPS Locating On" or something similar.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I wanna know CAN YOU SHUT IT OFF?  and Can Big Brother TRACK you with it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wanna know CAN YOU SHUT IT OFF?  and Can Big Brother TRACK you with it?

you can shut it off on my fone (enabled only for emergency (dialing 911))
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
No...you cant shut it off.
As long as your phone is powered up it is tracking. The phone has to have this feature in orer to make digital siganal possible. The cell site has to knoe your location to know what tower your on and when to hand off to the next one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its actually the other way around...CDMA uses triangualtion and the current GSM phones have a gps reciever in the handset.
CDMA uses a gps signal at the site for "timing" so that the site knows where the user is to hans off from site to site. Its actually very accurate considering the distance between towers.
The GSM phones can track position as good as a hanheld GPS unit, but not for the user...The carrier knows where you are and emergency crews can respond to the phones coordinates.

You are correct.  My bad.  However I have seen the end user GPS in test and it look cool.  Stay tuned
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#15]
www.cellphonehacks.com

They have a bunch of threads there for doing all sorts of crazy shit with phones.  Ass I recall, you should be able to enter the setup mode on the phone and do a GPS test, which will show you position, but that's about it.

Try this:  open you menu.  press zero.  a box may come up for a password.  if so, enter all zeros.  If yours is anything like mine (LG VX5200) this will let you into the setup menu.  I really have no idea what to do from there.  Hang on, I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
this is the exact reason why I don't own a cellphone.  I don't want any of that high-tech shit in my life.  GPS is only the next step in total civilian surveillance and global takeover of the New World Order!

take your tin foil hat off!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#17]
What service?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ok...  "New World Order"?? C'mon!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess its a start, but I'd say there are alot of other things more invasive going on that that.
Everybody flipped when they found out that the cell phones had GPS capability but the fact is ever since digital signal has been around, so has GPS tracking of cell phones.
Its really not that big of a deal. I have had to use a phone call on a digital cell phone several time to locate employees that were broke down somewhere and needed assistance...Pretty handy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

take your tin foil hat off!

Why bother?

He'll never find the RFID chip that's been implanted inside of him anyways.

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a LG 225 that has a GPS locator thing that allows applications and 911/emergency to track my location.

Are there any applications that I can download that can use this GPS feature to show my location (to me) and my speed, ala a Garmin GPS device?

Hold up a liquor store, phone yourself in, and run while the call is open.

Mythbust it for us    
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I am  on a Sprint PCS network.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an LG VX8100 through Verizon.  It will not give me GPS data (even through the setup menu).  I did have a  Motorola through Nextel which gave accurate location to the company (company provided phone) but was about 14 to 16 MILES off on data it gave me.  I bought Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS antenna and it is extremely accurate.  There are a few minor issues in roads not being 100% accurate on the map and it telling me I am out of route while going up the interstate, but it usually clears right up.  Other than that, it is excellent.  price appr $120 for software and hardware.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]
My Sprint phone has an option to turn the GPS function off (which i use).  It will turn back on if you call 911
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Where are you guys getting the part about the digital upgrade makes GPS necessary?

IIRC, this was installed under a .fed rule that mandated GPS be installed on all cell phones a few years ago.

Thats the part I dont like about it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I think that the requirement was that 99% of phones have this feature in them.  Where is the 1% phone?

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.  No camera, no mp3 player, no datebook, not text messages, no gps.

nothing. nada. shit.

Just a fucking phone that takes calls.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top