Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 6:07:32 AM EDT
I've been contemplating purchasing a new GPS.  I currently have a Magellan Platinum and a Garmin Legend.  I like the Platinum because of its ability to take SD cards, larger screen and its superior antenna over the Legend.  I like the Legend because of its size and I like Garmin's software layout better.  Why do I want a new GPS?  I hate to admit it but my eyes aren't what they use to be and it's easier for me to see the color screens when using my GPS for boating, driving or ATVing.  

I've narrowed my choices down to the following makes and models:

Magellan XL   $309
Magellan 600 $309
Garmin 60CSX $409
Garmin Legend CX $254

Factors that play into the selection: I have access to both Magellan and Garmin software.  I already have a SD card for the Magellan with nearly the entire US and parts of Canada on it.  I'd have to buy micro SD cards for the Garmins.  An additional cost.  I like the size of the screen on the XL.  It's the largest on a hand held.  I'm familiar with the Legend layout.  Small screen is a minus.  The battery life for the Garmins is a plus.  Especially on the CX.   I like the 60CSX but it is $100 more.  The Magellan 600 is rechargeable.  I'd rather have one that takes batteries.  Does anyone know if the Magellan 600's rechargeables can be replaced with standard batteries?  Perhaps my apprehension of the rechargeable function is unwarranted. However, there aren't many places to recharge your GPS on a one to two week backpacking trip.   The XL takes 4 AA's.  I guess that big screen has a cost.  The XL, CSX and CX don't have the temp and barometer info...it's not necessary but the Platinum spoiled me.  The 600 and CSX have electronic compasses.  A nice feature that the Platinum spoiled me on too.  I've also heard that Magellan is French owned.  Is this true?  I'm not too crazy about the French.  I imagine all the units are either made / assembled in Mexico, Japan or China anyway.  

A kind of related but unrelated question.   Does anyone have either the Magellan or Garmin topo software for Canada?  Is is good?  I know the Magellan Streets and Destinations and Garmin's Roads and Recreation for Canada really suck for the areas I backpack and fish in Canada.  I don't really feel like shelling out around another $100 for software that isn't really that much of an improvement over the other stuff I bought.  At the time I bought the other software I wasn't aware that the companies made topo versions of Canada.

ETA: Changed METROGUIDE to Roads and Recreation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The Garmin 60 is the best by far even though the screen is smaller, it is better resolution and is readable in bright sunlight.

The new 60Cx is also the fastest in the processor and aquisition.  It is worth the extra.
It comes with 64 MB so you really shouldn't have to get additional cards unless you are really spanning a large area.  64 MB holds the entire Texas topo.

I have no experience with the Canada topo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted for the Legend Cx, because that's what I have been using for almost 2 months. Previously I had a Magellan 320. My dad has the Magellan Meridian, it a pretty good unit, except it's big and eats batteries. The positives for the Legend Cx are:
+
Small size
Removable Memory(I bought a 512mb for $20)
Battery Life
Rugged - Most of my units time is spent on my ATV

-
Small Screen

I have the Garmin TOPO software on my unit, it pretty accurate usually between 0 and 50ft off on established roads and trails. Elevation data has been pretty accurate as well. The legend Cx is made in China.

My general experiences have been magellan gps's are a little more bulky, use more power and the software is not as user friendly as the Garmin Units. Sounds like you might not like the Legand Cx's screen size, the 60CSx may be a better choice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
mleaky,

I'm not putting the Legend or for that matter the Vista out of the picture.  I already have a regular Legend.  It's a good GPS for backpacking due to the minimal drain on batteries.  However, I noticed when backpacking in New Mexico that it lost reception frequently in come canyons.  

My only concern is the screen on the CX is actually smaller than the regular Legend.  I wonder how hard it will be to actually read while driving my Jeep.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
mleaky,

I'm not putting the Legend or for that matter the Vista out of the picture.  I already have a regular Legend.  It's a good GPS for backpacking due to the minimal drain on batteries.  However, I noticed when backpacking in New Mexico that it lost reception frequently in come canyons.  

My only concern is the screen on the CX is actually smaller than the regular Legend.  I wonder how hard it will be to actually read while driving my Jeep.

Depends on your vision.  Mine is fine for highway nav with the "look-ahead" feature when I program in a route.  But for seat of the pants "I wanna go there and I am here" it is a bit sketchy if you rely on the auto-coursing...but that was with the girlfriend at the wheel of a car we just rented at an out of state airport and she thought she knew how to get to the destination.  The navigator (me) was not being listened to by the pilot (girlfriend), all the while I knew we were going in the wrong direction an poor GPSmap was going bonkers recalculating and prompting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]

The CSX because it has the new SiRF chipset.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up the 60 CSX.  So far this appears to be the GPS I've been waiting for!  Satellite reception is on par with my Magellan.  The color screen is pretty good and I have ample Garmin mapping products to make this GPS a great tool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top