Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 12/29/2003 6:08:50 PM EDT
I was going through my old movie archives, and found an old movie with a "pre-Top Gun" Anthony Edwards and also with Linda Fiorentino (of Men in Black fame) called "Gotcha!". It wasn't that popular (1985), but it did bring back memories. Does anyone remember back in the early 80's (and maybe back as far as the late 70's) the paintball-type game that some college students played in college while on (and around) campus? A number of students would participate (say, 50 - on some campuses it was a lot more, on some it was less). Each student participating would have a small paintball pistol or rifle (at this time they weren't even semi automatic - they were bolt action/manual cocking), and each would be given a card with the name of one other (participating) student on it. That was your assignment; to make the "hit" on that student. However, you also knew that someone had your name, so you had to watch out. Once you made your "hit" you then acquired the card of the person you "killed" and that was your next "mark". Pretty much the only rules were that it had to be outside the classrooms and nothing "illegal" could go on (no breaking into someone's apartment to make the "hit"), etc...). Many universities even sponsored the game. Anyway, the first part of the movie "Gotcha!" depicts the sport, and I was wondering if anyone else remembered it, or even played it. With today's PC Climate, such a sport would be unheard of - especially on and around a college campus - but I sure would have loved to play it @ college (missed it by about 10 years).
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:22:30 PM EDT
I went to Berkeley and the game was just coming into fashion around 1979. I was preoccupied with ballerinas and redheads at the time, and knew no one who actually played the game called “Assassin.” Looking back on it, it might have been fun, but I had no time to: a. Play it, and b. To explain to my girlfriend (whichever one at the time) why I was not spending time with her. As for “Gotcha,” portions of it were filmed at a building in LA where I worked. When “our hero” (character name forgotten, but that played by Anthony Edwards with hair) goes to brace the CIA, he is going to the old Wells Fargo building on 444 Flower St. Leonard Maltin states (and I, for once, agree) that “Gotcha” is ‘almost a good movie.’ Logic occasionally fails; it falls down in a few places, but is earnest and well-meaning. (‘I put cocaine on my cornflakes.’) And, it contains the undoubtedly dumbest (but I would probably do it) escape from Spandau castle possible.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:27:24 PM EDT
Wasn't that AKA TAG The Assaination Game
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:32:35 PM EDT
I remember seeing that movie in the theater and forgetting about it until I saw it playing on cable in the early 90's. Through the 80's there were a lot of good movies I remember and a lot of bad movies I can't forget.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:35:57 PM EDT
I played it in high school with Zebra(remember those) and water guns. It was great fun. It lasted for a couple months before the school shut it down. Nowdays we all would have been expelled just for having toy guns on campus.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 9:33:26 PM EDT by SA_1911]
dubba post [stick]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:32:31 PM EDT
We played that game at High school, but we used Lazer-Tag rifles if you guys remeber those... Good movie though!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:04:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:17:06 PM EDT
I played it at college. It was a fund raiser put on annually by the sophomore class for their year-end party, and the school adminstration actually encouraged the game, because they thought it helped getting graduates into the CIA (I loved that school so much). The rules were we couldn't gkill our targets in class or at their place of work. My target was an upperclassman. I broke into his apartment and waited for him to show up. When his roomates came in, they said he went skiing, so I spent the afternoon and early evening sitting on their couch getting drunk in his apartment waiting for him to show up. I passed out and he killed me when he came home. The winners were these squaky cunts who basically made a treaty not to attack each other unless they gave each other advance warning. Completely ruined the game.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:42:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:13:35 PM EDT
Yea! I played this in college/ROTC. We used water pistols and people were fair game except when attending a class. You also had to make the hit with no other people around. Got some pretty weird looks charging up the super soaker pistol before leaving the classroom. Lots of fun!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:55:54 PM EDT
That was a pretty cool flick. I think they filmed it at UCLA, as they do most films filmed in LA depicting college life. Anyway, I started college in January '81 and I don't remember anyone playing that game at school. And I don't remember people playing it in high school either, back in the late 70's. Of course, back in the day most young guys were concerned with getting drunk and getting laid, not paintball. Have things changed? [:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:41:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja: Have things changed? [:)]
View Quote
Nope
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:54:10 AM EDT
sounds like fun
Top Top