Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 9:42:31 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/08/30/bc.autos.gm.recall.reut/index.html
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said unwanted application of the antilock brake system in some vehicles can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed braking and may result in a crash.

Vehicles affected by the recall include the Chevrolet Avalanche and Silverado pickups and the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe SUVs. The GMC Sierra pickup and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs are also affected. All 804,000 vehicles trucks are from the 1999-2002 model years, NHTSA said.

Bastards, I kept sending it to the shop because of that problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#1]
not good, be safe, get it fixed
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I traded the POS in for a Toyota
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

this threadis gonna go the way of the GM memo thread, I can feel it

but I know which side of the fence I am on.  Build a superrior product and people will buy it.

BUY MEXICAN AMERICAN!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]

....but, but how can this be?

Didnt someone here post a JD Power's survey "proving" that GM builds better cars than Toyota, Honda and Nissan? I mean...how can this be?

I know maybe its a one-time fluke. Yeah, thats it! Just this one time, right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've unplugged the antilock module on both my '94 K2500 Suburban AND my '00 Chevy Dually...
I've damn near driven into busy intersections as a result of the Antilock brakes activating due to small bumps in the road. Pedal goes to the floor, truck keeps going...
Antilock brakes and stiff suspensions are a bad combination IMHO...

I've never had close calls like that until I started driving vehicles with antilock brakes...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]

but I know which side of the fence I am on.  Build a superrior product and people will buy it.

BUY MEXICAN AMERICAN!!!

...yeah, thats why millions and millions of people buy American made Toyota. Not foreign made GM.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
My ABS system on my subaru is actually pretty good, its helped me avoid collisions.  From a physics standpoint static friction is better than sliding.  The part of the tire that is in contact is not movimg, you get static friction, but when u start to slide, your frictional force drops dramaticly.  However, the ABS only needs to engage when the wheels truly try to lock
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The worst part is driving down a logging road with 15 bails of hay in the back and have the petal go to the floor and narrowly miss going over a mountain side.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#10]
"GM, the world's largest automaker, had more vehicle recalls than any other manufacturer in the United States last year."

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good an ya.

Oh, and IBTL!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I just called the Chevy dealer and they said there wasn't a recall on 2002 Tahoe's.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

BUY MEXICAN AMERICAN!!!

...yeah, thats why millions and millions of people buy American made Toyota. Not foreign made GM.

um, yeah, that was my point

lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 2000 Tahoe and there is a problem.  It occurs when driving slow speeds and you hit multiple bumps during braking.  The anti-lock system thinks the truck is slipping so it activates antilock mode and you can hardly stop.  It hasn't happened many times but on certain rough areas where you need braking it will.

Then again my 99 Nissan frontier did the same thing the other day.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
There needs to be an "ON/OFF" switch just like they use with passenger side airbags...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've got a 2000 Tahoe and there is a problem.  It occurs when driving slow speeds and you hit multiple bumps during braking.  The anti-lock system thinks the truck is slipping so it activates antilock mode and you can hardly stop.  It hasn't happened many times but on certain rough areas where you need braking it will.

That is what mine would do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've damn near driven into busy intersections as a result of the Antilock brakes activating due to small bumps in the road. Pedal goes to the floor, truck keeps going...
Antilock brakes and stiff suspensions are a bad combination IMHO...

I've never had close calls like that until I started driving vehicles with antilock brakes...

My '00 Silverado did this exact same thing.  Cattle guards infront of stop signs = dad news.

That and the fricken chirping sound the leaf springs made while going down the highway.  Stupid things made it sound like you had a squeaky dash.   Every Chevy of this generation I have tested does the same.  Rock the box and you will hear it.

Luckily, I just traded it for a new '05 F-150 Super Crew.

That Chevy was a pile of poo.  I loved my '90....great truck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what mine would do.

My Silverado did too,I traded it in on a Jeep Liberty.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Huh - I guess Mr. Goodwrench is right: "They all do that."

It's an undocumented feature, not a defect. It's designed to protect the children ... THE CHILDREN!!! ... from excessive negative Gs during deceleration. No extra charge.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]
So when are they going to recall the upper steering shaft and yoke for the driveline?

Bastards.

I guess I have to get this fixed also.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The worst part is driving down a logging road with 15 bails of hay in the back and have the petal go to the floor and narrowly miss going over a mountain side.

Been there, done that, thought I was gonna die with 'what's that stupid whirring noise' going through my mind as my last thought.

The ABS device is really loud for some reason.

Quoted:

fricken chirping sound the leaf springs made while going down the highway.  Stupid things made it sound like you had a squeaky dash.   Every Chevy of this generation I have tested does the same.  

I could reach through the intarweb right now and hug you - my truck has been making that stupid noise for the last 100,000 miles, and I've had no clue what caused it.

So I keep the radio turned up, so I can't hear it - though I constantly wonder when the front end of my truck is going to fall apart.

I've been under there numerous times looking for something amiss, with no success.

Assuming you're referring to the same chirping noise I am, you just solved a huge aggravation for me.

<---wonders if an occasional shot of wd40 would fix the noise.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#22]
hopefully the avalanche recall will be permanent and they'll give you a real truck in return
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

fricken chirping sound the leaf springs made while going down the highway.  Stupid things made it sound like you had a squeaky dash.   Every Chevy of this generation I have tested does the same.  

So that is what the problem was.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#24]
GM has had problems with their antilock brake systems for trucks for over a decade.  My 93 Chevy had the anti-locks completely quit working when the truck was less than 3 years old.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got a 94' S-10 that I purchased new. My biggest complaint about anything on that  lil' pickup is the antilock brakes. Slightly wet roads were when it was the most dangerous. I have run through stoplights, stopsigns, had to swerve to avoid stopped traffic that any decently equipped braking system would've easily handled. They eventually had a recall and changed some sort of chip in the system to make it less sensitive. Still sucks ass though. Truth in advertising laws should be enforced and make GM refer to this as "Anti-stop braking system"! I'd much rather lock up the wheels than rely on that poor excuse for a safety feature!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#26]
w00t!!! "made in america with union labor!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So when are they going to recall the upper steering shaft and yoke for the driveline?

Bastards.

Thta's my biggest bitch. I'm tired of taking off from a dead stop and Mrs gorilla asks me why I blew my horn, and I have to explain (yet again) about the driveshaft.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bastards.

Thta's my biggest bitch. I'm tired of taking off from a dead stop and Mrs gorilla asks me why I blew my horn, and I have to explain (yet again) about the driveshaft.

That broke in mine as well.  In fact this was the life of my truck

Purchased 12/99  
2/00 Recall for seat belt
5/00  Recall for airbag
5/01 Tranny went out at 48k, the same month the breaks started acting up
11/01 headlights would come on by themselves
3/02 Oil pump broke
6/03 breaks went out and drive shaft broke (the drive shaft would whistle and sound like I had something in my rear breaks)  I took it to the dealer and said that it was "just one of those sounds" and it couldn't be fixed.  Well I made it 2 miles down the road, the truck started vibrating.  That same day I went to a toyota dealer and drove home with a tacoma.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just called the Chevy dealer and they said there wasn't a recall on 2002 Tahoe's.  hr

I tried looking it from the link and came up empty as well. I have an 02 Z71 Tahoe that does it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

<---wonders if an occasional shot of wd40 would fix the noise.

Sorry to tell you this, but I even had the idiots at the garage take a look, and they tried to put some grease in there.  It didn't do anything.  I tried wd40, graphite, and several other things.  It seemed it would come and go depending on the amount of dust and when I washed it.  Not that it would only do it when it was dirty....sometimes right after it was clean too.

This drove me absolutely nuts.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this bother them.  

My final straw was paying 675.00 to have the fuel pump replaced.........at 46K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top