Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 1:33:35 AM EDT
In need of a car to replace one that is dead. Is it better to replace the engine and transmission on a GMC Jimmy Suv, or should I buy a beater for a commuting?  I'm thinking that putting in a rebuilt engine & transmission would pretty much make it a new car, or would I just be throwing good money into a car that is already dead. The Jimmy in question has a blown engine, coolant in oil pan.

thanks ARF.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly is the problem?  Will it still run?

ETA - Depending on what the problem actually is, and the condition of the car, it may be worth fixing as opposed to replacing the entire engine or getting another.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Jimmys/Blazers are junk.  The 4.3 is a terrible engine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
how far is the commute? money for a Jimmy engine or repairs could go towards a much cheaper 90's jap car for commuting- something with better gas mileage
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#4]
coolant in the pan could be anything from a head gasket to a cracked cylinder...if its a head gasket, you can rebuild that pretty easy, if its actual damage to the block, your best bet is to just go get a pullout from the junk yard and spiff it up...im assuming its the 4.3 with the 4l60?...that route will cost alot less, just take a little work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

i have 310,000 miles on my 94 s10.....never had a problem with that motor
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If the rest of the body, suspension, Interior and accessories such as the AC, cooling systems and power steering it is far better to put 3500 or so in a motor and transmission.  Look at GM crate motors as well. At least you know what you have instead of buying a cheap cash car that you don't know where you stand.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

coolant in the pan could be anything from a head gasket to a cracked cylinder...if its a head gasket, you can rebuild that pretty easy, if its actual damage to the block, your best bet is to just go get a pullout from the junk yard and spiff it up...im assuming its the 4.3 with the 4l60?...that route will cost alot less, just take a little work.
View Quote

Exactly.  It would be a different story if a rod was flopping around in a huge hole in the block, but running some easy tests will let you know what kind of problem you have and whether it'll be worth fixing.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly.  It would be a different story if a rod was flopping around in a huge hole in the block, but running some easy tests will let you know what kind of problem you have and whether it'll be worth fixing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, probably just blown head gasket. 4.3 is a good engine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#9]
On the 4.3 could easily be just an intake leaking coolant. If the engine isn't seized or knock a rod might just need an I take gasket. I did tons of these when I was at the dealership. Be to use the Fel-Pro gasket kits, better gasket than GM and should include the new bolts with locktight on them. Just be careful torquing the intake down and don't forget the distributor gasket. Most 4.3 damage came from coolant in the oil caused by the intake gaskets. Pretty good engines when you fix this problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

No its not it just a 350 missing two cylinders but the 2.8 was a boat anchor
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
On a non-enthusiast's vehicle, like a Jimmy? You'd be out of your ever loving mind.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On a non-enthusiast's vehicle, like a Jimmy? You'd be out of your ever loving mind.
View Quote

This. I actually like the 4.3 engines, they last a long time usually. But you'd never recoup the cost of a new engine and trans in an s10. My uncle had one that went 220k miles before he got tired of replacing fuel pumps.

If it was my car and I liked it enough, I'd pull the intake and check it for leaks. If I didn't find one, its probably a head gasket so I'd pull the heads. Check the cylinder walls for cracks before putting it back together.

Depending on how long it's been running with coolant in the oil, the crank should be inspected and the rod and main bearings should probably be replaced. I'd probably do this before fixing the cause of the coolant contamination. No sense putting head gaskets on it if the crank is smoked.

If you do fix it, ditch that GM dexcool junk.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Throw it away and start over.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The 2.8 is a gutless wonder, but I've got nearly 200k miles on mine and the only major failure has been the harmonic balancer.  And that just happened.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had  3 vehicles with 4.3. All of them were great.
I did have to replace a intake gasket on 1 of them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I had a link to the gigantic smiley, I would so fucking use it right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys.  Money is tight, and needed some expert advice on whether it would be smart to spend 5k on a new engine & trans, versus spending 5k on a used beater that could be another headache.  I'm completely mechanically uninclined so the advise helps.  would putting a new engine & trans be basically getting a new car?

the car starts and runs, but then a clicking noise starts and it dies.  also the car has anew radiator, fuel pump, and the water pump was replaced less than a year ago.

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  Money is tight, and needed some expert advice on whether it would be smart to spend 5k on a new engine & trans, versus spending 5k on a used beater that could be another headache.  I'm completely mechanically uninclined so the advise helps.  would putting a new engine & trans be basically getting a new car?

the car starts and runs, but then a clicking noise starts and it dies.  also the car has anew radiator, fuel pump, and the water pump was replaced less than a year ago.

Thanks

View Quote

No, because you still have suspension parts, rear end and axle, brakes, steering and body that aren't new.

There is still a chance that you will need to replace the steering box, or lower ball joints, or blah blah blah a week/month/year after replacing the engine and transmission.

If I were you I would look into a junkyard engine replacement.  There's a good chance you could do that for under $1k if you were to shop around.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

13er being 13ers and all that stuff.  

As mentioned could just be blown head gasket.  If the Jimmy is otherwise in good condition and you just want the peace of mind, throw in a motor/tranny.  As far as is it worth it?  Probably not BUT if you going to drive it for several years, go for it.  If you buy something used, you have no idea what is wrong with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Didn't the 2.8 have a prob with spinning the main bearings?  Or am I thinking of a different engine...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Didn't the 2.8 have a prob with spinning the main bearings?  Or am I thinking of a different engine...
View Quote

They were horrible for blowing head gaskets and not having enough power to pull a string out of a greased cats ass.  Now that you mention it, they may have had some bearing problems too.  Probably one of the worst motors GM ever made.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MOre than likely it's the lower intake manifold gasket if its a vortec

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They were horrible for blowing head gaskets and not having enough power to pull a string out of a greased cats ass.  Now that you mention it, they may have had some bearing problems too.  Probably one of the worst motors GM ever made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one [84] and it was certainly gutless [was the 5 speed manual T model] but it ran until it rusted out, we then sold it and the person who bought it drove it for several more years until the pans were entirely gone. The engine never had a dime tossed at it the entire time but it did have the clutch and assy replaced at about 150 K. It was on the road about 20 years before it finally was to bad for the road.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#24]
OP do you know what is actually wrong with it other than it dies on you?  What year is it?  4WD or 2WD?

IMO I would lose it like a bad habit.  My wife had one years ago and you couldn't put enough gas in that thing...not to mention I pretty much put an entire new front end on it...and wheel bearings, and well, I could go on.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

202,000 on my 2000 blazer. Intake gasket failure on the 96+ motor is a common issue. Long story short, fix shit WHEN it breaks not when the engine locks up.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I would suggest getting something else.  I had a S10 with the 4.3.  It was the biggest money pit of a vehicle we have owned.  Fuel pumps, alternator, wheel bearings, intake gasket, steering parts, suspension parts, ignition parts, etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
The car had coolant in the oil pan.  not sure exactly try what was wrong with it. mechanic said it needed a new engine. from the responses I think it would be better to buy a used corrolla.  I know nothing about cars so thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#29]
My Dad put an engine and transmission in a 1996 Explorer. When you buy a crate engine, you're getting a long block - not all the little things, that are required for the thing to actually run. You have to transplant an assload of sensors and what not from the existing vehicle, onto the new engine.

Since replacing the engine and transmission (and he did this himself - he could never afford to have a shop do it), he's:

Replaced the fuel injectors, IAC motor, rebuilt the rear diff, shocks, speed sensors, fixed a million electrical gremlins (interior shit), radiator, body mounts, alternator, brake master cylinder, power steering pump, steering rack, heater core, ECM, EGR valve, u-joints, had the transfer case rebuilt...and a bunch of other shit I know I'm forgetting. All this, over the course of about 3 years.

And at the end of the day, the thing is worth maybe $2,000. Maybe.

Buy the best HondaYota for $5k you can find.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top