Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 4:14:10 PM
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:46:56 PM EDT
I just went to Radio Shack and Best Buy, and both have some FRS/GMRS 5-mile Motarola 2-way radios that I was gonna buy.  Well the guys working there tell me you need a license to use them and I ask how and where to get it but of course nobody knows anything about it.  Do any of you guys have them?  How's the licensing work?  What happenes if you get caught using them without a licenses (which I wouldn't do but  one can imagine how many people own these and use them without a license)?  Finally, after licensing and fees, are they really worth it over the 2-mile non-license radios?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 4:57:34 PM EDT by DzlBenz]
The license is $80, and is good for 5 years, I think. I read at one time that the GMRS radios came with a license application in the box. You can apply for the license online.

FCC: General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

ETA: You might also post this in the Survival Forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:00:54 PM EDT
Most folks don't get the license.

You can run the radios on the FRS channels only

The .gov is thinking of getting rid of the license for these
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:05:45 PM EDT
The license is for the GMRS portion of the radio.  The FRS does not require a license, and will go 5 miles over flat terrain.  The GMRS will go out to ~20 if a tower is nearby.

Shoot an IM to wawatusi here on arfcom, he knows alot about GMRS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:17:18 PM EDT
I don't really get any more range or clarity out of the GMRS channels than the FRS channels, even though the GMRS channels are 1 watt whilt the FRS channels are 1/2 watt.  I just use the FRS channels.
Top Top