Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 3:00:06 PM EDT
Anyone here have experience with this? How big of a pain in the ass is it to get at your promised money. I've got a friend who spent five years in the navy and is in electrician school right now, but he's having to eat fucking ramen cause the gov is foot dragging.

He started the paperwork 2 months before school began, and this is what he emailed me today:

i fill out 3 pages of forms then 2 weeks later they send me a letter that they received it and wait for conformation then 2 weeks later i get a letter saying its confirmed and i have to fill out  another form thats on its way its been two weeks since i got that last letter.
ive been in school for a month now, what the fuck.
View Quote

Is this typical? Any advice?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep that's typical. You'll be way ahead though if the school has a financial aid advisor that'll do most of the paperwork for you leaving maybe a page or two for you to fill out. You'll always run a month behind cause they send a form asking if you were in school the previous month, it's just how they do it. The one way to speed things along as far as getting the money in your hands would be Direct Deposit, that way your not waiting on the check as far as snail mail is concerned. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to my Va rep. at the school she handles all the GI bill stuff. Filled out all the paperwork. At the end of each month I call the GI bill # to verify I was in school and they cut me a check for 800$. I thought it was fairly easy and staight forward.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It has been a few years since I did my GI bill paper work, but I don't remember any problems either. Pretty painless compaired to the rest of the paper work to get into school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top