Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2001 7:20:08 AM EDT
Ok, Lets say that a father, mother, aunt, uncle,  ect... want to buy a handgun or AR style gun for a son or daughter or something but this person is under 21.  Can the gun be passed as a gift legaly??
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Although I can't comment on the Fed's laws, most states have different statutes governing gun possession, ownership and purchasing. Furthermore, states' laws differentiate between rifles and handgun.  The "record" of the minor and use for which it was given may also be a factor.  So to make a long story short...it depends.  I recommend you making two calls, one to your local ATF Office, and second to your local District Attorney.  Don't rely on police or others advice, as they aren't going to be the one's prosecuting you.  Illegal gun possession has become a hot topic and I suggest you get your information from the best source.  Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top