This is one BIG fish........
giant gar video
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:46:38 PM EDT
i catch those all the time in my backyard
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:50:35 PM EDT
Damn!

Danny
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:53:31 PM EDT
Now that they killed it, I wonder what they are going to do with it?
I catch them in my lake but not that big... I release ones I catch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:58:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yobo:

A friend of mine caught one at least as big as that one a few years ago. It was over 7 feet long. Definitely want to get them out of a fishing hole. They are fish eating machines. They will clean out a lake.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT

Now thats some redneck shit right there. I have never seen a fishing reel mounted on a compound bow. WTF is that about???
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:59:31 PM EDT

I didn't see it killed .......

I just saw it landed via gaff hook. That fish is still alive ( although exhausted from the fight ) at the end of the video.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:02:26 PM EDT
They put two arrows into the fish and stuck a gaff into the side (gills?)... somehow I don't think that gar is going to swim away.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:04:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aggie1:

A friend of mine caught one at least as big as that one a few years ago. It was over 7 feet long. Definitely want to get them out of a fishing hole. They are fish eating machines. They will clean out a lake.

I don't know.
In six years of living on this lake the fishing has gotten better every year and fish are getting larger. If course the largest gar I've seen on this lake is only about 4 feet/20 lb.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:04:20 PM EDT
Here’s a good recipe for alligator gar:

1. Nail gar to 2x4
2. Place oven to "clean"
3. Bake on "cleaning" setting for 4.5 hours
4. Remove
5. Eat board
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:04:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lakeguy:

Now thats some redneck shit right there. I have never seen a fishing reel mounted on a compound bow. WTF is that about???

It's called bow fishing. I've been wanting to do some of that myself. Burt Reynolds did some in "Deliverence".
Awhile back I googled Aligator Gar and found pics of one standing next to a guy that looked big enough to eat him. It was somewhere in Central America. I think they measure it to be 9 ft or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:06:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KBAD:
Here’s a good recipe for alligator gar:

1. Nail gar to 2x4
2. Place oven to "clean"
3. Bake on "cleaning" setting for 4.5 hours
4. Remove
5. Eat board

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:07:11 PM EDT

Agreed.

The Nuge use to come down to Florida to bow fish with some buddies. I don't know if he still does.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:09:00 PM EDT

Bow fishing is damn fun. I cant beleive you live in FL and dont know about this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:12:30 PM EDT
The biggest alligator gar were caught decades ago.

People only catch small ones now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:14:12 PM EDT
Damn! Growing up I used to catch long nosed gar on the James river. One time while fishing for small mouth I hooked in to a monster. Took 40 minutes to bring in one that was 40 inches long. Caught it on 6lbs test line. I was lucky to have hooked it so the teeth didn't touch the line.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:15:06 PM EDT

Me and a buddy once caught one even bigger than that. I had to put a .38 Special between its eyes to get it to calm down so we could land it.

We split the hide down the back and removed the meat on each side of the backbone. Some of the prettiest white meat you've ever seen.

Down here, we used to make a dish called "Gar Balls", kind of like hush puppies except with gar meat.

They eat just fine if you know how to cook them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:16:26 PM EDT
That looks like the fish caught on Sam Rayburn last year. Think it was 8 ft and 260 lbs.

Biggest I ever saw was almost 150.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:20:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coondog:

It's called bow fishing. I've been wanting to do some of that myself. Burt Reynolds did some in "Deliverence".
Awhile back I googled Aligator Gar and found pics of one standing next to a guy that looked big enough to eat him. It was somewhere in Central America. I think they measure it to be 9 ft or something like that.

man if EVER see a gar standing next to someone i am just gonna run away...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:20 PM EDT
Found the article.
I was a tad off on the weight.
Alligator gar pics
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:25:11 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:41:54 PM EDT
A good lure for gar is to take some rope, fray one end, and on the other end, wrap your fishing line around it. You dont need hooks. When the gar hit it, its teeth will get tangled in the rope and in the frayed portion.

When you reel them in, open their mouths and stick a piece of wood in so the mouth cant close. Throw it back in the water, and with the mouth open, they wont be able to take water in. You should see them fight to get that wood out of their mouths.

Some of the best alligator gar fishing is on the Trinity River, of all places.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:42:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:54:25 PM EDT
That is a pretty big fish, but I have seen bigger ones in the San Jacinto River near Baytown and some of the irrigation lakes in South Texas. I have no doubt there are even bigger ones in Lousiana along I10 and the coast. Alligator gar really like warm brakish water, so just about anywhere you have a river running into the Gulf, you will find them.
Top Top