Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 10:02:25 PM EDT
We've been getting good performance and mileage with Shell in both of our vehicles.
I also find that the highest octane gives the best mileage/performance.

76 seems to cause all kinds of problems...lately.

What are you using, regardless of price?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It is all the same. The octane level is all that matters.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I use which ever of the major brands (Shell, Mobil, Exxon, etc) that is the least expensive in my area.  I won't by anything that is "ethanol enriched".
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is all the same. The octane level is all that matters.

Yup.

What's in the gas is dictated by the state, not the maker.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually get gas at the Exxon here in town.  Sometimes at a Shell if I'm filling up after work.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
its all the same.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They're all the same. I buy whatever is the cheapest.

I used to work for Ultramar Oil, Long Beach CAlif, which is now part of Diamond-Shamrock/Superior Oil, they supplied gasoline to both their own brand, Ultramar; and private brand, unbranded. It all comes from the same refinery, from the same tank. Zero difference between them, except maybe the price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
112 octane Sunoco racing fuel...

$6.30 a gallon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You mean there's no 'magic elixir' added somewhere along the way to give the brand its unique attributes?
Standard's 'Techroline' and such?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You mean there's no 'magic elixir' added somewhere along the way to give the brand its unique attributes?

No, techroline is an additive, they all have it.  The Chevron car on the commercial is lying to you.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Where else ..... COSTCO!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, techroline is an additive, they all have it.  The Chevron car on the commercial is lying to you.

SGtar15

All gasolines have some sort of chemicals called "additive packages," that distinguishes the Chevron from  Gulf, etc. These additive packages are formulated by chemical/petroleum engineers, and what's really in them is a closely guarded corporate secret. I've actually seen invoices for purchases of raw gasoline from Shell, Chevron etc. It only becomes branded after the additive package has been added.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Additives are put in at the refinery.  After that nothing changes.

I am telling you, IT"S ALL THE SAME GAS!!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, you're giving me mixed signals.
One of you says you've seen the invoices for raw gas, the other says nothing is different.
Which is it and how's the trick performed?

Does the truck with Shell show up at the refinery pre-loaded with additives to which the raw gas is then poured into, or, along the same lines, the 76 truck shows up with 'Pro Power' in the trailer and raw gas is then put in over that?
The gas is then delivered to the filling stations all 'additived up'?

OR, are we buying nothing different but the paint job on the tanker truck?

There's a definite difference in how our vehicles operate depending on the brand of gas we buy, so I have to believe it isn't all the same for the end user, even though it may be somewhere in the processing.
What's up?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
speaking of Costco and "additive packages," does anyone know where Costco gets their gas from? Is it this raw gasoline w/o the additive package? I kinda figured it had to come with some sort of additive, otherwise we'd all be belching smoke from our cars.

Does all of the Costco's use the SAME mfr for gas, or does it vary geographically? Someone in Southern California mentioned that it's ARCO gas.

To answer the question: I usually fill Shell, but lately I've been hitting the Costco gas station since it's 15 cents cheaper per gallon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where else ..... COSTCO!

Ayup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]
This is how it works.  The refinery makes the gas, then adds additives.  Then it fills up the trucks and the trucks go to Chevron, Texeco, SHell, and Costo, and Jim Bobs gas station.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One of you says you've seen the invoices for raw gas, the other says nothing is different.

Does the truck with Shell show up at the refinery pre-loaded with additives to which the raw gas is then poured into, or, along the same lines, the 76 truck shows up with 'Pro Power' in the trailer and raw gas is then put in over that?

There's a definite difference in how our vehicles operate depending on the brand of gas we buy, so I have to believe it isn't all the same for the end user, even though it may be somewhere in the processing.
What's up?

Okay sorry for the confusion. Raw gasoline is gasoline without any additives, this is plain old gasoline that is bought and sold between petroleum companies around the world because it is just plain old gasoline, nothing special. When a gasoline company buys this gasoline and adds it's own is secret ingredient additives does it becomes branded, ie Chevron, Gulf etc. This is done at the refinery level.

Mall-Ninja: Gasoline at Costco is most likely Ultramar but can't be sure because I wasn't involved in that aspect of the company, but Ultramar supplies 99% of the gasoline to the independents in Kali-fornia from its refineries in Wilmington & Hanover, Calif.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually buy the cheapest gas I can find.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
We've been getting good performance and mileage with Shell in both of our vehicles.
I also find that the highest octane gives the best mileage/performance.

76 seems to cause all kinds of problems...lately.

What are you using, regardless of price?

I dunno about the rest of the country, but here in CA, 76 has stopped using MTBE as their oxygenator. Some enviro-nazi regulation has barred the use of MTBE as an additive (either state or fed level), and instead, 76 has started using ethanol. In addition to being a poor substitute performance-wise, ethanol has this nasty habit of being hydroscopic, meaning it sucks in moisture from the air. Last time I checked, water in your fuel system is NOT a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Mall-Ninja: That is what I heard also, MTBE is being phased out by both fed and state laws because it contaminated the ground water and it is really hard to get rid of. Gasoline is dry, and ethonol is wet, they don't mix, but according to the political correct oriented, they do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Gasoline is pumped through a nationwide pipeline, all companies take out the same gas in whatever octane they need, then it is stored in their own tanks.  When a local shipment takes place, the additives are added to the gas and it goes into the truck, then to the gas station.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
"CHEAP"   and     "GAS"   do NOT belong in the same sentance anymore. Please adjust your grammar accordingly...

Anyone else think gas prices will cost GWB the next election ???

Methinks it will be another monkey on his back...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
time to go back to LEADED gas

cheapest here is Arco
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
time to go back to LEADED gas

Why is that?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What's up?

BusMaster, this will probably explain it for you:

www.omegamotors.com/enjoy/gasoline/gasoline_04.html
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I go where the gas is cheapest.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I got to chevron and mobil 99% of thetime,
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I won't use Fina since that is owned by the French.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I use BP/Amoco only because I have their credit card and get a rebate in the form of a "free gas" card.  As for octane, cheap stuff in the truck but the premium in the bike.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Sunoco, almost exclusively.

Father-in-law works for them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Chevron.  I have a good friend that I trust that has made his living off of car repair for years, he also teaches auto mechanics at the jr college.  He swears by Chevron with techroline.  That's good enough for me.

No, all brands are not the same.  They start the same then the specific companies additives are put in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Wrong
Individual additive packages are added at distribution terminals to produce differences in gasoline brands
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I go to about the cheapest place, I try to avoid the small generic stores sometimes, just incase Muhammad  the owner has cut it with waste oil or something else.

I avoided Sunoco in NY its gas caused my car to knock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#34]
AB
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Hess, they do not import from the Mideast.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Sunoco - "supposedly" does not import middle eastern oil products. Right around the corner. Their regular will run in my care where the others wont. Cool bright yellow sign you can't miss. Good coffee, too, I don't know where they import it from.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Shell/Texaco....

Only card listed in my dad's company name so I keep the credit rating good for the company.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Hate to blow alot of your guys minds but alot of the gas in the US comes from the same sources but are blended at the tank farm for the brand.

I personally prefer the high detergent lubricant additive brands,  Mobil, Chevron, Bp, Shell, Texeco, and Exxon.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Sorry, not all gas is the same.  I can fill up at Albertsons with super cheap gas and get 15.4 mpg.  Averaged over 5 tanks, same driving style.  If I fill up with Shell or Texaco I get 16.5 mpg.  So for me it's actually cheaper to fill up with the more expensive name brand gas.
The best gas is/was Texaco.  Shell comes close and they bought out Texaco in most places.  Chevron is good too.  BP sucks along with Citco, Arco, Conoco and all the other o's.

Fritz
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Least expensive gas and lowest octane, and the Acura Legend still runs great.  Brands are usually Shell, 76, Arco.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#42]
the cheapest
I've seen unbranded tanker trucks go to Exxon then go down the block to Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top