Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2001 7:26:20 PM EDT
Are the FAC aluminum HK 91,G3 recievers any good? I know that the FAC barrels for this type of weapon are junk. Also what is a good home defense kick ass shotgun that is not a bank breaker.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Also what is a good home defense kick ass shotgun that is not a bank breaker.
View Quote

Depends what a bank breaker is to you, but I just picked up a Mossberg 590A1, then got some 000 buck from ammoman to keep it company.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I know nothing about HK, but both Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are nice. I havn't fired either one but I have heard good stuff about both.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The G3 aluminum receivers with the built in scope rail are made by Hesse and they are junk.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a 590A1 a couple of months ago as well. Nice gun, minor PITA to field strip, but it should do the job. The S&B 00 buck is real cheap and good for practice, but for the home I use Federal LE 00.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
As the owner of an FA G3, don't do it.  Go the CETME rout if you don't want to kick down for a real one.  Wish I woulda.  Actually the rifle has worked fine, it is just so damn ugly I never feel like taking it out of the safe.

For the shotgun, get a Winchester 1300 Defender.  Have them at Big 5 all the time for around 250 bucks.  I LOVE mine, have more fun with it than my AR lately.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
does any thing hesse make work?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with a FMP rec and a good part kit,have it assembled by Protech.The FAC(Korean)
barrel that I have shoots great and I could'nt be more happier with the groups that I'm getting( 1.0-1.5 in.).

I had a 590 once and traded after it kept having extracting problems with 2 3/4 non magnum slugs.
I went with a 870 accessorized to look like a 590 with a full butstock pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
just bought a hesse cetme on a h91 hesse reciever. they must have different grades of rifles as I had a few to go threw and some of them looked like hell and had some problems that I did not like right away. like sights not lined up, you had to really hit the mag to get it to lock in place, nasty finish and the such.
did buy one as and it looks like new. bluing on front and tube as new. internal parts like new and park on the rest of the gun even the lower inside and out like new. bore is bright and clean new. but I love that wood even color on both ends and after some tongue oil it will look sharp. $500 I don't think was to bad when I got to pick it out.

took my chance with it being cai but my sar-1 is one of the most reliable rifles I have ever owned. and my first fal a argy recievered early one shot so well it spoiled me.
the other neat thing the cai mark is very small on the side of the barrel, looks like the import marts that some did on m1 carbines back in the 80's but smaller. gotta go shot it and if it shoots as close to the original one's that I have owned I will be happy. a keeper.
       jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top