Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/21/2005 1:31:25 AM EDT
I'll make a long story short. I'm leaving for BCT in the next month or so, and I just found out that I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth and a very good amount of various other dental work that needs to be done. I did not know any of this when I signed up and swore in recently. I'm just worried about being sent home from BCT when they do the dental check. Call it the pre-BCT jitters ,but I'm a little worried. Will they just patch me up and let me move on or will this get me sent back home.

Will the Army send me packing or just do the work that needs to be done during or after basic?
Any other dental related info on dental care in BCT?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:37:05 AM EDT
You do NOT WANT the Army taking out wisdom teeth.

I REPEAT

You DO NOT WANT the Army taking out wisdom teeth.

Go to your dentist and have an appointment setup NOW, and I mean like yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:41:03 AM EDT
I disagree with the above post. I had all four of my wisdom teeth surgically removed at Ft Gordon, and have no complaints.

If you are just worries about the wisdom teeth and some cavaties, you should be fine.

Wait until you get to AIT if it's long, or just wait until your permanent duty station if possible to get the work done. The price is right.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:41:19 AM EDT
dunno about the Army....but in the Marines I saw all kind of screwed up teeth get through basic with minimal work...and major work done after graduation at the first duty station.

Military dentists LOVE to do shit for practice... if you need it, they do it. If you don't need it and they can convince you that you do...they do it.

No Expert

P.S. Good luck BTW
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:44:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 1:48:44 AM EDT by InTheArmyNow]
So this all is not that big of a deal? Pretty normal senario? I've worked so hard to get to this point and I guess I don't want some freak event to F**k my dream uphug.gif
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:46:24 AM EDT
I would go to basic, as stated above aside from emergency work they'll let you graduate and then fix you up good. I saved a ton of money and had good work done. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:48:26 AM EDT
Absolutely normal. As long as your teeth aren't in danger of falling out while on the victory tower, I'm sure you'll be fine. Wait until you graduate, and then get the hook up on Uncle Sugar's dime.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:55:58 AM EDT
you should be fine, but i'll ask my father and report back. being an army dentist, he'll have all the answers

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:02:11 AM EDT
My best friend just graduated Infantry AIT, a ton of kids who went through it with him did not have wisdom teeth pulled. They all got called up during the first week or so, widsom teeth pulled went back to baracks sans pain pills and went on to train.

As long as you can potentially deal with that, which he said everyone did no real issues. You are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:15:42 AM EDT
Had all my wisdom teeth pulled while in the Air Force, was no big deal. Military dentists do it all the time, wouldnt think it would be a big deal in the Army either. Plus having the military do it ment i got it done for FREE.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:22:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cjk1:
I disagree with the above post. I had all four of my wisdom teeth surgically removed at Ft Gordon, and have no complaints.

If you are just worries about the wisdom teeth and some cavaties, you should be fine.

Wait until you get to AIT if it's long, or just wait until your permanent duty station if possible to get the work done. The price is right.

Ditto.
Army dentists are great. That's because pro-pay puts them much more in line with their civilian counterparts.

Army doctors, however....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:43:45 AM EDT
I had one wisdom pulled while I have been in, and I would have had 2 more pulled in September but the oral surgeon was deployed. I am still awaiting his replacement or return since I am not on the critical list. I had a better experience then the time I had one pulled from a civilian surgeon. Look at it this way, you could pay now, couple thousand out of pocket or you can get it done for free in BCT and get put on quarters rest for 2 days with 800mg motrin. It is not bad you just will be bored while everyone is out during the day and you are sleeping in the barracks on quarters.

If they do not bother you much tough it out and get it done right after completion. But do it while it is free.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:45:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:

I REPEAT

Go to your dentist and have an appointment setup NOW, and I mean like yesterday.

+INFINITY!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:49:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By No_Expert:
dunno about the Army....but in the Marines I saw all kind of screwed up teeth get through basic with minimal work...and major work done after graduation at the first duty station.

Military dentists LOVE to do shit for practice... if you need it, they do it. If you don't need it and they can convince you that you do...they do it.

No Expert

P.S. Good luck BTW

That's because they are practicing for board exams. I had very good work done that current dentists still comment about.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 4:57:53 AM EDT by USMC88-93]

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

I REPEAT

+INFINITY!!!

I know you must place trust in the doctor performing the surgery, If I were you I would get them out before you go. That and a Boot Camp environment is not the most appropriate environment to have surgery.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:33:54 AM EDT
Go. Unless it's an emergency, they'll just wait until you get to your duty station or if you are going for a long AIT it'll be done there.
Don't be afraid of getting taken out in the Army. BTW they aren't removed by dentists, they are taken out by oral surgeons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:39:11 AM EDT
I had all of my wisdom teeth taken out while in the Army. No problems at all. The dental hygenist was a sado masochist however.

Don't have the work done in basic or AIT. In either, if you miss to many hours of training, you will get recycled and could have to start over with another class. Basic they are a little more lenient because there are more injuries that need mending, but AIT, they are very strict about class attendence. Wait until you get to your permanent duty station and have it done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:07:04 AM EDT
Have the procedure done after AIT, some very prominent people use Army dentists, they’re some of the best!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:09:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 6:09:15 AM EDT by adair_usmc]
I had my wisdom teeth taken out in bootcamp. Damn did that suck.

I did get to save some vicodin for the crucible t hough
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:29 AM EDT
had a root canal in bootcamp..

didnt even know i needed one..

no big deal..

no proplems ever came of it..
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:48:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AeroE:

No Expert

P.S. Good luck BTW

That's because they are practicing for board exams. I had very good work done that current dentists still comment about.

Actually, there are no extractions on the boards. Three fillings, a crown preparation on a model and a two root canals done on already extracted teeth (Not third molars). But, a lot of dentists like to do it, because it can be fairly challenging and a good change of pace from a lot of the work that they do. (See sig line ) Military dentists are pretty good these days. I have classmates who are going the Mil route and most of them are pretty good.

Have your dentist look at them and determine how critical the impaction is. Is it soft tissue impaction, or bone? What class?

If there is risk of root resorption on your second molars, if it is at risk for impinging on your Inferior Alveolar Nerve get it taken care of now. Or if there is some other complication that could cause a periodontal infection, weaken the bone, or if there is an odontogenic cyst, get it taken care of now. Otherwise, if you can wait, then wait until your done, and let the surgeons in the army do it. At the bare minimum, the dentist will have completed an AEGD or be an oral surgeon to do a surgical extraction. They should be pretty competent. If it doesn't require surgical extraction it's not a big deal anyway.

If it's a bone or tooth impaction, you want to have it done 6 weeks before you go off to Basic. That should give it enough time to fill in pretty well with new bone, and your jaw should be strong enough to withstand any significant impacts. If you use tobacco, give it longer to heal.

Good luck,
Wolffie
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:50:11 AM EDT
I'm going to have to side with the people that say you DO NOT WANT IT DONE IN BCT. You don't want an ingrown toenail in BCT, either...trust me on that one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:31 AM EDT
I am in BCT right now (Christmas Exodus....fuckin awesome...)...anyways, when you get down there, they will do dental X-rays at Reception Battalion and basically you will get shipped off to the actually BCT and start that. Then at some point your drill sergeants will be informed that you have a dental appointment that day and you will be taken to that by someone....no big deal. I am not sure about the wisdom teeth thing but that is how they dealt with all the dental problems in my platoon (appointments were about 2-3 weeks after xrays).

Also, a couple years ago I had my wisdom teeth taken out by an Air Force dentist and he did a good job IMO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
In the Army Now,
Don't sweat it as noted the Army does fine dental work, one guy in my company in OSUT had a bunch done, was missing front teeth, had some broken ones and looked all messed up, by the time OSUT was over you could almost mistake him for a regular human being . If you've already passed your initial meps , your good to go, just don't mention it the day you ship. I don't recall them doing dental checks of any type. Plus as you might have heard the Army came up a bit short last year on recruits, so I doubt they'll send you packing for something they can correct. As noted you'll get x-rayed and they'll decide what you need and when it will be done. Good luck. By the way what mos did you choose?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:17:39 AM EDT
Meh.

You guys can let the military do whatever work you want if necessary but....
I did have one good dentist at Fort Sill though when I chipped a tooth, he filled it.

Another dentist (Major) during processing for deployment at Sill, was looking at my teeth and the job my civilian dentist had done and he was puzzled and confused at what my dentist had done. He was like, and I quote: "Wow, what is that? Composite? I've never seen that before....good job though..."

I was like
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:21:44 AM EDT
They did mine, darvon works better with a beer chaser
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:24:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 8:25:47 AM EDT by AyeGuy]

No Expert

P.S. Good luck BTW

+1 (or minus 4!)

Marines took out my wisdom teeth; they were deeply impacted but they got them out anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:19:36 AM EDT
Army dentists are like civilian dentists -- you-'re either going to get a good one or a bum. Most Army dentists are great (based on 26 years in the Army, and growing up as an Army brat).

My most dramatic dental event was three days prior to staring the Special Forces Course in 1984. They pulled three impacted wisdom teeth out on a Thursday before staring the course the next Tuesday. They gave me Tylenol 3 for pain, and I didn't even need it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:47:14 AM EDT
Good news...they will take your wisdom teeth. They took mine and I did not even know I needed them out.
I had a Valium IV and I was stoned. No worries.

The problem comes the day after when the bastards won't excuse you from duty or give you drugs.

I woke up on a blood soaked pillow with cotton in my mouth and had to friggin' BEG my first shirt to give me the day off. I was in pain as I had a fifth (mutant) tooth that Dr. Mengele had to dig for in my jaw.

The whole experience put me off and pissed me off. This was 1981. I hope they are better now.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:36:10 PM EDT
You will be alright with an Army Dentist. Like everthing else in the Army, you take it and drive on. No biggie. I had mine done in the Army as well, it came out alright, no sweat. youl bee bak and kickin in no time.

To add, mine was done on Ledward Barracks, FRG Community Dental Clinic in 1989.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:40:27 PM EDT
Mine were impacted pretty good and the people at MEPS "suggested" that I would be a lot happier if those little problems were gone before I showed up for basic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:01:31 PM EDT
The only dental work I had in basic sucked and had to be redone once I got home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:39:25 PM EDT
My MOS is 97 ECHOhanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:45:47 PM EDT
Most of the time the Army will not do wisdom teeth until you are in permanent party unless it is absolutely necessary as it would bump you out of your BCT or AIT class.

You will get a couple days quarters, then at least 2 weeks light duty (no PT) as they don't want you to get a dry socket which is a major suck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:06:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By InTheArmyNow:
My MOS is 97 ECHO and thanks guys,all of you have made me alot more comfortable about all of this. Pre- BCT worries I guess. Hell , they don't bother me at all so I'll just have them done eventually,correction, when they tell me to.

Even better. While your on security clearance holdover ( maybe 3 mos?) at FT. Huachucha (sp
?) mowing the lawns, etc etc make an appointment for the dental clinic. Get them done in AIT while your on holdover.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:10:07 AM EDT
You'll be ok. Go to BCT, they will run your through dental, and, they
may or may not do some minor stuff. Chances are they
will just send you on through, and, you'll wind up in Dental hold at reception at
your first duty station.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:49:43 AM EDT
And the Army isn't shy about giving pain killers either. At least not at Ft. Lewis. Two wisdoms pulled (by an oral surgeon, not a dentist I want to reiterate), 2 days quarters followed by another 3 days (maybe a week) of light duty. And another script for Percocet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:48:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 9:49:52 AM EDT by tommytrauma]

So this all is not that big of a deal? Pretty normal senario? I've worked so hard to get to this point and I guess I don't want some freak event to F**k my dream up

Like others have said, no big deal. I needed some serious work done when I showed up for BCT in '84. They put it off 'til I hit permenant party, and the military dentist did fine by me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:15:45 AM EDT
I had two wisdom teeth removed when I was at Parris Island in 1995. I ran PT the next day. I guess mine weren't difficult to remove, but I didn't have any problems. Al little bleeding, and a little soreness, but other than that I can't complain.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:19:34 AM EDT
Old boy joins the army...

First thing they give him is a comb, then they cut his hair off.
Second thing they give him is a toothbrush, then they pull all his teeth.
Third thing they give him is a condom......

They are still looking for old boy!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:34:10 AM EDT
Army has been known for NOT doing much dental work during recruit training. That's changing a little.

USMC has always assumed that every recruit would become a Marine so they tend to do more dental restorations during recruit training.

If it's causing you so much pain you can't finish boot camp, they'll need to do something. Otherwise, ask them if it can just wait until you've finished. They'll likely agree. Army dentists don't get paid one cent more for doing extra, or unnecessary, work.

Be careful who's advice you heed. There's lots o' dummies here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:32:53 PM EDT
While at RTC at Great Lakes I met a kid who had some dental condition that required most of his teeth to be removed. The navy did the work and discharged him shortly there after for something else. I dont remember what his condition was but I sure did feel sorry for him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:39:52 PM EDT

I REPEAT

If you have insurance have your own dentist do the work. I had an army doctor do mine and he was jumping up and down on my face to get 2 of the 3 he removed out. I hate dentists to this day.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:02:04 PM EDT
My wisdom teeth have never hurt effected or bothered me ever, I'm in no rush because of pain of anything.

Thanks good Idea about doing it on security holdoverhug.gif
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:24:25 PM EDT by Dave_A]

I'll make a long story short. I'm leaving for BCT in the next month or so, and I just found out that I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth and a very good amount of various other dental work that needs to be done. I did not know any of this when I signed up and swore in recently. I'm just worried about being sent home from BCT when they do the dental check. Call it the pre-BCT jitters ,but I'm a little worried. Will they just patch me up and let me move on or will this get me sent back home.

Will the Army send me packing or just do the work that needs to be done during or after basic?
Any other dental related info on dental care in BCT?

Thanks in advance

When you get to AIT, they will schedule a mandatory dental appointment (impacted Wiz teeth -> class 3 -> non deployable, so they fix you in AIT to make sure you're deployable on graduation), yank them out, and put you on drugs/quarters... BCT, unless the teeth are seriously giving you problems, you should be able to get by...

You will get an X-ray in basic, but they'll leave the actual care to AIT...

I was marked CIII for a filling, but folks I know did have the above operation peformed... I don't know about other MOSes/posts, but everyone who had teeth pulled got perscribed some rather powerful narcotics, and put on quarters for 1-2 days (Safety... Something about heavy equipment and/or helicopters, and mind/reflex-altering drugs), and a no-PT profile of some short duration...

But that's Aviation...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:26:33 PM EDT
I got one out at Ft. Lewis, no problems.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:21:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By justice23:

I REPEAT

If you have insurance have your own dentist do the work. I had an army doctor do mine and he was jumping up and down on my face to get 2 of the 3 he removed out. I hate dentists to this day.

And a buddy of mine had a very similar experience with his CIVILIAN dentist. He sort of woke up and had a knee in his chest so the dentist could have extra leverage. It's not the dentist (or oral surgeon, I keep reiterating that because at least at Madigan on Ft. Lewis it's almost certainly an oral surgeon, not a plain dentist) that determines how deep or crooked your roots are going to be.
Top Top