Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2012 5:11:44 PM EDT
Share your funny instances of a person saying "X" was just the same as "Y" when it is most certainly not

Here's mine:
Recently was in a gun store, looking for some ammo. Specifically, I was on the hunt for some Hornady .223 Steel Match to try out.

I speak with the manager, whom I shall call "Gun Store Manager" or GSM for short.
(side note: GSM could also mean "gun store moron" - what a coincidence!)

GSM: "Can I help you find anything?"

Me: "Looking for Hornady Steel Match in .223. I'd prefer the 75-grain stuff."

GSM: "I'm afraid I am out of it at the moment. You know, it is just repackaged Tula."

Me: "You sure that the Tula isn't just repackaged Wolf?"

GSM: "Nope. It's Tula and Hornady."

Me: "I understand they chrono way differently, though."

GSM: "Hornady could just send them the powder."

At that point, I smiled politely and left. Not sure I'll shop at that location in the future. At least for a while.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that's just....I don't even know what to say to that!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
"Any .40 S&W load is as good as the hottest 10mm load."
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
a Taurus PT92 is the same exact thing as the Beretta. The one I carried in the Army was a Taurus. He even called it a Beretta. I have no experience with the Taurus, but i'm fairly sure this can not be true.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Share your funny instances of a person saying "X" was just the same as "Y" when it is most certainly not

Here's mine:
Recently was in a gun store, looking for some ammo. Specifically, I was on the hunt for some Hornady .223 Steel Match to try out.

I speak with the manager, whom I shall call "Gun Store Manager" or GSM for short.

GSM: "I'm afraid I am out of it at the moment. You know, it is just repackaged Tula."

At that point, I smiled politely and left. Not sure I'll shop at that location in the future. At least for a while.

Both you and the Store manager are wrong
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I once had someone tell me that 308 winchester and 7.62 NATO were vastly different rounds
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
a Taurus PT92 is the same exact thing as the Beretta. The one I carried in the Army was a Taurus. He even called it a Beretta. I have no experience with the Taurus, but i'm fairly sure this can not be true.

The Taurus is a pile of shit and the safety is mounted on the frame.

"That's a machine gun."

No it isn't.

"Yes it is. I know what a machine gun looks like and that's a machine gun."
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's mine:

Both you and the Store manager are wrong

Nope - wanted to see if he'd bite on that one, too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you buy this ammo your .25 will be as powerful as a .45 . I looked the guy I was with and told him we had to go It was some sort of ammo packed 6 to a card .
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Herters is just repackaged TULAMMO

Oh, and this is true, I just never believed it until I looked
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi, i would like some .300 Win Mag.

Here you go, .300 WSM
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a guy behind a gun counter tell me that a 338LM cartridge was running 5000fps.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I once had someone tell me that 308 winchester and 7.62 NATO were vastly different rounds

Pressure difference is true...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
An table holder at a gunshow once told me that a Krag rifle he was selling was a Mauser.

When I began explaining the VAST differnces between his KRAG and a Mauser, the guy says "this is a Mauser and it's the strongest action there is".
Nothing left to do but walk away.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ahhhhh yes.. The technically correct crowd strikes again.... 223 and 5.56 are as different as 9 mm is to. 50bmg... Or at least that's what I was told....... I'm still waiting today see all the blown up guns, because nobody has ran 5.56 surplus in their 223 bolt rifle... Or has run 308 in an ar10 n.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhhh yes.. The technically correct crowd strikes again.... 223 and 5.56 are as different as 9 mm is to. 50bmg... Or at least that's what I was told....... I'm still waiting today see all the blown up guns, because nobody has ran 5.56 surplus in their 223 bolt rifle... Or has run 308 in an ar10 n.

Not so much that one runs the risk of Glocking a rifle if .308 is fed in a 7.62Nato gun... Just accelerated wear.
Similar... Run a steady diet of +P in your non+p rated pistol (older SW wheel guns for example...) won't blow up, but wears much faster than necessary.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Herters is just repackaged TULAMMO

Oh, and this is true, I just never believed it until I looked

I used to buy it at work for training ammo but, man even that is getting pricey, WITH my discount!

I can't pay $5 a box or so for that crap
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
An table holder at a gunshow once told me that a Krag rifle he was selling was a Mauser.

When I began explaining the VAST differnces between his KRAG and a Mauser, the guy says "this is a Mauser and it's the strongest action there is".
Nothing left to do but walk away.

Too bad he didn't say it was a Mosin Nagant, give him a $100 and be on your way
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a Colt New Agent as my first carry gun. The clerk at the gun store was supposedly a 1911 aficionado, he even bragged that he did so much customization that they wouldn't take guns back from him anymore for warranty work (here's your sign). Anyhow I was asking what ammo to use and he takes me over the shelf and says he only uses these, pointing to Remington hollow points in .45 GAP. He says they are lower recoil rounds and very effective. I ran at least one box through and carried them everyday for a solid 6 months or so. I only learned my mistake  from somebody on here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If he was a member of the Brazilian Army he prolly did.

Taurus is made in the old Beretta factory.. but after that...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blown up guns?  Maybe not, but blown (pierced) primers?  Definitely.  Especially reloads with heavier, longer bullets.  

The 5.56 NATO chamber has a freebore area in the throat that is .2265 diameter, .070 long, right before the taper to the bore.  The .223 chamber has a .2240 diameter, .040 long throat right before it tapers to the bore.  Heavy bullet ammo that easily chambers in a 5.56 NATO chamber, will embed the bullet in the rifling of a .223 chamber, causing very high peak pressures.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Customer was looking at a WASR with a slant brake...
He asked the guy behind the counter why the slant cut was not horizontal.  (Fair enough question, from someone who is not versed in AKs).

Guy behind the counter tells him it's that way so it diverts the "smoke" off to the side, instead of straight up in your sight picture.

Favorite one from many years ago:

Overheard conversation between customer and clerk at another local gun store, while doing paperwork for a purchase:

Customer: (pointing to the rack of ARs, and AKs behind the counter)  "See, now... I just don't see the need for guns like those".

Clerk: "Well, they're not for everybody... But, there are plenty of people who enjoy them".

Customer: "There just aint no practical use for nothing like that".

Clerk: "Okay, sir... We will place this order for you, and call you when it comes in.... You want the gold finish, right?"

Customer:  "Yep...Gold finish, and 50 caliber".

Desert Eagle, 50AE, Gold Finish = Practical.
AR15 / AK = No practical use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He asked the guy behind the counter why the slant cut was not horizontal.  (Fair enough question, from someone who is not versed in AKs).

Guy behind the counter tells him it's that way so it diverts the "smoke" off to the side, instead of straight up in your sight picture.

Overheard conversation between customer and clerk at another local gun store, while doing paperwork for a purchase:

Customer: (pointing to the rack of ARs, and AKs behind the counter)  "See, now... I just don't see the need for guns like those".

Clerk: "Well, they're not for everybody... But, there are plenty of people who enjoy them".

Clerk: "Okay, sir... We will place this order for you, and call you when it comes in.... You want the gold finish, right?"

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

50AE will cut a man clean in half, even if you miss his body by 10 feet. Perfect for home defense. The gold finish will distract the home invader.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#24]
A guy at the des moines fairgrounds gunshow last fall was selling mosins. i looked at a few searching for something special.  He starts telling me they are all russian mausers made by germany before the war..... Im not sure if he took me for an idiot because im all of 26 years old or if he was himself a dip shit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he was a member of the Brazilian Army he prolly did.

Taurus is made in the old Beretta factory.. but after that...

The first time you see the slide shoot off the front is quite a surprise. After that, it's just comical.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Does not equal

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a comparison, but I walked into a prominent gun store in central florida and asked to see some Walthers, H&Ks, and Sigs. The guy started out by saying the H&K and Sigs were his top choices of what I had laid out.... Then he said 'the British Walthers just don't compare'

As someone who enjoys their German heritage and some of the Germany innovation that comes out, I instantly let out a small laugh cause the first thing that came to mind was that someone is watching too much 007. I still shop there whenever I go to that city, but I don't ask for advice on things anymore

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Well, technically, they were at the beginning. So much so Beretta sued them to cease and desist their operations. Taurus had to do something different so as to not infringe upon Beretta. Well, that's my memory at least.  To say the two are on par with each other is a whole nother story though.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Frame mounted safety/decocker is more better. Not a Taurus fan though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Actually, it equals this:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#31]

agreed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Taurus was making a licensed copy of the early frame-mounted safety Beretta 92, well before the slide mounted decocker Beretta 92S variant was introduced to the market in 1983.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Taurus was making a licensed copy of the early frame-mounted safety Beretta 92, well before the slide mounted decocker Beretta 92S variant was introduced to the market in 1983.

Did/does the frame mounted safety allow for cocked and locked?

I'd hate to see what Taurus quality was like back then!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did/does the frame mounted safety allow for cocked and locked?

I'd hate to see what Taurus quality was like back then!
Yes it does. I owned one for a few years.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess my taurus was the exception and not the rule. I could cut black at 35m no problem and never had a single issue out of it (only shot 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it though).

Having shot multiple M9s from brand new out of the box, to well used, to rusty piece of shit, they were all inaccurate and every single one jammed multiple times.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#36]
come on the taurus's aren't that bad.

yeah they aren't a beretta but they are no jennings either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top