Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2004 3:53:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 3:54:19 AM EST by Happyshooter]
I live near a city that is in terminal, Flint style, decline. The blacks and mexicans are now the majority, and there are multiple serious problems. The city runs out all white businesses out through a combination of higher and higher taxes, stupid but totally enforced regulations, and less police with more crime.

As background, the city council is majority black/mexican (chosen mostly by the pastors and priests) and a few whites. The city manager was also white, and was trying to clean up some of the more serious problems. The city treasurer was not only black, but was vice-president of the local NAACP chapter. The city spent money on things like annual trips for the city council and top admin to Japan and Sun City SA. At the same time the treasurer decided not to collect personal property taxes on black-owned businesses, and there was some embezzlement (not clear who in the city yet), and checks have been blown hot by the city for almost a year.

All this was about to come out because the manager was investigating, and the manager was quickly fired in a midnight vote by the minority council members. They promoted her black deputy, who was (in a shock for them I'm sure) enough of a man to be loyal to his oath and he canned the tresurer and started an official and police investigation.

Mind you that the minority council is selected/run by the pastors and priests of which Washington is the most powerful in town, now that the gay bishop is dead, owning two churches outright and controlling several others. The other people involved in the news story are a father and son who are trying to save the city, even though they are white.

Both recalls given green light
Wednesday, September 01, 2004
MIKE THOMPSON
THE SAGINAW NEWS
A pair of groups seeking recalls of Saginaw City Council members both received ballot language approval from the County Elections Commission this morning.

Both pursuits of ousters are linked to the council's 5-4 vote at 12:20 a.m. on Aug. 10, after a lengthy meeting, to fire Deborah Kimble as city manager.

Petitioners now must collect at least 3,903 signatures, representing 25 percent of the 15,612 voters who participated in the 2002 governor's election, to place recalls on the ballot early next year.

If petitioners follow through, each targeted council member is subject to an individual up-or-down vote to remain in office.

Approval today came from the county panel of Clerk Susan S. Kaltenbach, Treasurer Marvin D. Hare and Circuit Court Family Division Judge Faye M. Harrison.

Allan and Gregory Schmid, father and son, want to remove council members Daniel G. Soza Jr. and Roma Thurin as "ringleaders" of the vote to dismiss Kimble. They said they did not include Mayor Wilmer Jones Ham and Councilman Amos O'Neal because the two have apologized for their votes, and that they omitted Councilman Willie Haynes as a "follower" of Soza and Thurin. Haynes has asserted that he acts independently.

The Schmids' petitions state that Soza and Thurin "helped instigate a midnight plot for the sudden and unwarranted termination of City Manager Deborah Kimble, despite good performance ratings and public support, without warning or opportunity for citizen input or open debate, and in order to advance an irresponsible personal agenda, which included reduction of the police budget, all against the best interests and safety of the residents and taxpayers of the City of Saginaw. "

Community activists Charles E. Conner and the Rev. Otis O. Washington Sr. responded with petitions to recall Kimble's four supporters -- Mayor Pro Tem Carol B. Cottrell, the Rev. Charles H. Coleman Sr., Dennis D. Browning and Andy Coulouris.

Conner and Washington flip-flopped some of the Schmids' language but submitted spelling errors that Kaltenbach said will go on the ballot. Each of the four has separate errors.

For example, the petition against Coulouris states that he "helped instigate a plot to undermind the warrented termination of City Manager Deborah Kimble, despite her lack of performance and irresponsibile personal agenda, which included the mis-management of tyhe City's budget. All against the best interest of the taxpayer."

The election panel told Conner and Washington that they could resubmit the petitions with corrected language, but they rejected the offer.

If either group succeeds in gathering enough signatures, the taxpayers' cost for a special recall election is about $25,000, said Acting City Clerk Diane M. Herman. t

Mike Thompson covers city government for The Saginaw News. You may reach him at 776-9691.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:36:52 AM EST
I grew up in western Saginaw county & much of my family lived in the city. Like it or not (in 2004 no less ) race was always and still is an issue there. You accurately describe the City of Saginaw when you say "a city that is in terminal, Flint style, decline". As the news reports kept rolling in about the councils actions towards Kimble, told my wife there is something rotten and festering going on. Follow the money & you'll see WHO is behind this. Thankfully, my family and I now live well north of the urban combat zone that has become Saginaw.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:37:21 AM EST
BTT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:44:12 PM EST
BTT because I took so long to type it and because I thought it was funny
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:00:19 AM EST
BTT again, because I worked so darn hard typing it when I could have been drinking.
Top Top