Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 4:58:19 AM EDT
My Cousin died early this morning and I really don't want to ask the family, everyone is in shock and I'd rather not bring this up because I'm not sure which family member is handling the arrangements.

But I need to know for work..

My next concern is that my boss is on vacation and I'm running the shop so I just want to schedule less work for the men while I'm out and see if I could change things around to make sure the customers are taken care of. Timing couldn't be worse, but I have to deal with this today.

This would be a Catholic funeral if it matters, but typically how many days after death do you wait before holding a wake? and Funeral? I was told that Catholic funerals were not held on Sunday, but I'm not sure about that.

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Click

"In many traditions, a meal or other gathering following the burial service, either at the decedent's church or another off-site location.

For Irish descendants, a wake is often quite extended and may include drinking and singing as it is a type of party to celebrate the persons life, it will often be reffered to as 'waking' the person who has died. An Irish Wake usually lasts 3 full days, afterwards on the 4th day the funeral takes place. Family members and friends will ensure that there is always someone awake with the body, traditionally saying prayers."
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Click

"In many traditions, a meal or other gathering following the burial service, either at the decedent's church or another off-site location.

For Irish descendants, a wake is often quite extended and may include drinking and singing as it is a type of party to celebrate the persons life, it will often be reffered to as 'waking' the person who has died. An Irish Wake usually lasts 3 full days, afterwards on the 4th day the funeral takes place. Family members and friends will ensure that there is always someone awake with the body, traditionally saying prayers."

That's the way my family used to do it, although modern laws/practices have changed it.  The oldest son still has the job of tying the toes together though, and our wakes aren't three days very often.  Still a lot of Jameson, Guiness, and ham is consumed.  And we left a pint of Guiness or cider for the departed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Modern times have changed the old traditions. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if some form of health and safety law prevented one from bringing the body and open casket back to the home for the wake.

Another issue is that unlike in Ireland where everyone lives pretty close to one another, with people scattered around the globe, it's usually considered polite to wait long enough for people to gather together/fly/drive in before holding the wake. Thus it usually happens on or about the same day as the funeral. (We had one in Kerry that was actually held after the funeral)

I'm afraid it'll be all up in the air, and you're going to have to ask.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally wake the next day and funeral the day after is traditional.  And no funeral on Sunday (the church and priests are too busy on Sunday).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you very much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top