Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 8:16:41 PM EDT
Original thread with the story

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for the tremendous outpouring of support the last couple days.  John's mom couldn't even speak when I showed her the 7 (now 8) page thread full of well wishes and prayers for John and his family during this time.  She just sat and slowly thumbed through the stack of pages, and then she hugged me.  John's dad was very close to tears.  Knowing there are this many people so concerned with John's condition is really overwhelming.

That said, I also want to iterate that I realize there's a big fundraiser going for member 82ndabn.  I'm one of the large number of people who didn't even have to THINK about donating--it just happened.  I'm certainly not trying to "steal the thunder" of that fundraiser.  It's for an exceptionally important cause, and i'm very honored to be part of a community that has come together like that for him.

I've received TONS of emails and IM's from people asking if they can send donations/flowers/etc. anywhere.  After talking with John's parents, I know that one thing that, while seemingly unrelated, would take a huge load off them would be raising the funds to take care of getting a new clutch for his truck.  Installation won't be a big issue:  i've got the tools and ability to take care of that right on base.  Any additional funds above and beyond the new clutch will go toward his parents to help offset their expenses while in Omaha.

If you'd like to maybe send some flowers, they can be sent directly to me (flowers may not be allowed in the ICU, so i'll have to double-check) and i'll get them to his room.

if you have something else you'd like to send along, i.e. cards or the like, those items can be sent to john in care of me as well.

Paypal account is now active.  The email address to use is EternalVigilanceFund(at)gmail.com for donations via paypal.  Check/money order can also be done.  Those can be made out to John Connelly Donation Fund and sent to:

Connelly Familiy Fundraiser
c/o SrA Mark R Gardner
12315 South 29th Street
Bellevue, NE  68123

please, if you have a desire to donate, only donate whatever you're comfortably able.  3 bucks is just as helpful as 30.  amount is moot.  the act of giving in this instance is so much bigger than the amount of the gift itself.

those who wish for flowers, cards or balloons are welcome to send those as well (please no mylar balloons if you decide to send some; they're not allowed in the ICU) to the address above.  make a note somewhere on the delivery that it's for John and his family and I'll get it where it needs to go.

If anyone has any concerns about the legitimacy of this, member Wombat_SCSO is a local LEO in my area and I'm sure will vouch for the validity.

Again, I'm not trying to ask those who'd rather not, to donate.  I'm just providing the means for those who've expressed a desire to help.  I also again want to express the family's SINCERE gratitude for all the love and outpouring of support from this community.  I know that John, even with the difficulty he has communicating right now, was also quite taken aback by how many people were showing support for him.  You guys have made a HUGE impact on his recovery, and knowing that he has so many people he's never met personally who are pulling for him really has lifted his spirits.

Thank you all for everything you've said and done.

and if you haven't donated to the 82ndabn fundraiser yet, and are able, please do so.  he's another one of our brothers definitely in need right now.  those threads are stickied at the top of the General forum, so if you haven't seen 'em yet please check them out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
bump

thank you!  

pp account "should" be opened today, pending a couple phone calls later this morning.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it just his wife or are there kids involved?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
no kids, just john, destiny, his parents, and his sister and brother (who is on his way back from UAE as we speak on emergency leave).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]
paypal account now active.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
What happened?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What happened?

With the new developments i learned today, i'll post an updated version:

John (EternalVigilance) was quite depressed and, while contemplating suicide, got very intoxicated and passed out.  The rifle he had with him discharged through his head, missing his brain completely.  The entrance was just above the left eyebrow, and exit was just below the left cheekbone.  Given the wound pattern, it's consistent with (at least in my opinion) an accidental discharge.  Yes, he was thinking about hurting/killing himself.  Yes, he was depressed.  However, he was very drunk at the time and I don't doubt him one bit.

He's going to lose his left eye, and has extensive damage to the left side of his face.  He's still in the ICU at a local hospital, and will probably be getting moved out of ICU possibly this weekend.  Still several more surgeries to go over a long period of time.

There's also a link to a very long thread at the top of the first post in this thread that explains the events in a bit more detail.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So he had the rifle next to him?

Will he need to go to an institution?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
tag and a bump

Word is also he might not be in the ICU for much longer. Another surgery or two (a couple days at most) and he's going to be in a regular ward. No need to worry about balloons and flowers in there.

We're all pulling for him and he and his family are extremely grateful for all the support.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]
sent. Stay strong
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
thank you very much!

definitely to you clayp, but also to everyone else who has helped so far.  i had 2 bouquets of flowers and a couple cards delivered to me today; as soon as john's out of ICU i'll make sure they're in his room (hospital staff are very strict about what is allowed in rooms; i'll just make one delivery as soon as he has his new spot).

john's progressing very well.  i told him that they weren't going to let him take his morphine clicker home with him, and he wrote "bastards!" on his pad.  

his spirits seem to be rising with every day that passes.  I know for sure he'll be up walking around in probably just a few days.  he's already been able to sit up in a regular chair for a good period of time without getting too worn out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]
bump
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I just wanted to take a second to thank everyone for everything so far.  Yesterday we went and got a new clutch and changed it out in John's truck; that was at the request of his parents and I know that being one less thing to worry about, it's a huge help.

Today is John's 24th birthday!  I've had a lot of folks asking if he can take outside visitors, and now that he's out of ICU anyone in the area wishing to visit is welcome to do so.  He's in room 5229 at Creighton University Medical Center here in Omaha (info was authorized to be released finally).

Again, thank you all for the support; All funds accumulated in the account when John leaves the hospital will be donated to his family to help offset their expenses while they're here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just wanted to take a second to thank everyone for everything so far.  Yesterday we went and got a new clutch and changed it out in John's truck; that was at the request of his parents and I know that being one less thing to worry about, it's a huge help.

Today is John's 24th birthday!  I've had a lot of folks asking if he can take outside visitors, and now that he's out of ICU anyone in the area wishing to visit is welcome to do so.  He's in room 5229 at Creighton University Medical Center here in Omaha (info was authorized to be released finally).

Again, thank you all for the support; All funds accumulated in the account when John leaves the hospital will be donated to his family to help offset their expenses while they're here.

OMG.  24 years old.  I think I'm going to cry.

My prayers are definitely with John and his family, and I will try to make a contribution soon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#19]
-----
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow.  Prayers still inbound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top