Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 3:35:49 PM EDT
I bought a snow plow for my suzuki vinson a couple weeks ago and bought a winch to operate it with. Instead of taking the easy route and buying the mounting brackets for it I made some at work. It didnt take long I just found a 3/4" plate of cold rolled steel and sawed it to length and put some mounting holes in it. After wiring and mounting it I realized I needed a fairlead for the wire cable.

That took me some time to fabricate but it turned out good. I used 3/4" solid cold rolled steel bent on the ends and welded to the front roll bars. I made the fairlead rollers and axles out of stainless steel and they can be removed at any time.

After all this was done I wanted to test the winch out. Its a superwinch with an 1800 pound pulling capacity. I figured this would be plenty for a 610 pound ATV. I hooked the cable hook onto our 10 ton crane at work and lifted it up off the ground a little bit. With the motor off but ignition on I hit the handlebar mounted winch switch. It went up about 2.5 feet and started bogging a little bit. I imagine it was draining the battery pretty bad.

I figure if I ever upgrade to metal skid plates this will be the ideal position to have the quad in.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
nice! first thing I did with my winch was to pull out some old rosebushes for me ma
ETA: I know of some older guys that got drunk and did the same thing, but it was with a jeep and a big tree
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny, When the girlfriend had the idea of me pulling some old shrubs out, I used the companys $300,000 heavy duty wrecker. Took ten shrubs out all at once. I had about 45mins of rigging all together, but the look on her face was priceless.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I want to find a place to do that with my pickup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top