Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:26:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 10:39:26 AM EST by 3ACR_Scout]
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a photo you with all - while I was in Kuwait this past year, I had a chance to fire a Beretta PM 12 S2 submachine gun:

A blast to shoot - very smooth and easy to keep on target, but man, is that a heavy weapon! The bolt alone must weigh a couple pounds! A little too complicated due to all the safety features, in my opinion, but we had a good time trying it out.

By the way, in case you're wondering why I'm shooting through a culvert... the firing points are set up this way to prevent people from firing outside the (very limited) range fan. Not a very fun way to shoot, and definitely a lot louder...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:28:46 AM EST
AWESOME!

It's a rarity to see one of those babies.
Man, this reminds me of those pics in Iraq where some lucky SOB got some trigger-time behind a StG44.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:30:26 AM EST
Nice !

Was wondering why they have you shoot through the concrete tube, wouldn't that make the report a lot louder?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:31:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 9:32:08 AM EST by vito113]
So you've been hanging out with the Italians then…

BTW… Stg44's are very common in Iraq! They must be the ultimate 'Battlefield pickup'

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:32:13 AM EST
Some people have all of the fun! Beretta USA has been bring importing those things into the USA for LE. ONe of the side-bennies for being in the Middle East.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:33:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By Maggot:
Nice !

Was wondering why they have you shoot through the concrete tube, wouldn't that make the report a lot louder?

The culvert is there to keep people from firing over the berm behind the targets - very limited range fan.

Yeah, it was pretty loud. The Beretta wasn't actually all that bad, but the M4 on burst was pretty deafening. Glad I brought my earplugs...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:48:41 AM EST
That magazine looks oddly long.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:52:14 AM EST
Right on Ty for your service...and damn I love a man in uniform.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:55:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

BTW… Stg44's are very common in Iraq!

StG44s aren't common, anywhere.

They are numbered below 7,000 now... Most are in collector's hands. Being that to fill a magazine, you have to spend about $45, it's no wonder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:58:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Spade:

It was kind of strange - we had two magazines to work with, and one was about 2" longer than the other, but the short one held the standard 32 rounds, while the longer one only seemed to fit 30, and it was tough getting the last couple in.

Originally Posted By HeldHostage:
Right on Ty for your service...and damn I love a man in uniform.

I hope you're not a guy...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:00:46 AM EST
Subguns are

HS1
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:05:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:
Subguns are

+1
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:09:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Spade:

It is good that you noticed that. It is called a Hi-cap mag. We should be seeing more of them in this country soon, so you should become more familiar with them.

In fact go check the gutters, they should come flowing down them any minute now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:18:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sturmwehr:

Originally Posted By vito113:

BTW… Stg44's are very common in Iraq!

StG44s aren't common, anywhere.

They are numbered below 7,000 now... Most are in collector's hands. Being that to fill a magazine, you have to spend about $45, it's no wonder.

Wrong… somehow, (probably through the Czechs who had many German arms plants in their country after WWII but no money, they supplied ME109 clones to Israel in 1947), Syria came into possesion of many thousands of them immidiately after WWII along with a load of other German arms. Many of these Stg44's were passed on to Iraq. Plenty of pictures in the news of Al Sadrs guys using them.

Syria was deploying ex-german Panzer IV tanks in the 60's!

Andy
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:25:51 AM EST
Lucky guy! My two favorite subguns are the Beretta and the MAT49. Nice report. Stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:29:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jeepster:
Lucky guy! My two favorite subguns are the Beretta and the MAT49. Nice report. Stay safe!

Thanks, Jeepster - I actually returned home safely three weeks ago, but will be deploying again in the spring.

It was definitely a great opportunity that I'm glad I didn't miss - I really didn't have to go to the range with less than a week left in country, but I never pass up a chance to shoot in the Army - there aren't as many of them as some people might think.

Dave
Top Top