Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 7:13:08 PM EDT
I was in the fortunate circumstance to have the opportunity to shoot some rather nifty FA toys. Non-transferable FA toys at that. It pays to know people who are SOTs I think.

Here's what I got to shoot. H&K G36K and UMP45:

and this little gem:

Notice the go-fast switch on the slide...

And shooting above mentioned weapons:

I should have some video available soon too. Amazingly enough, I liked the Glock 18 a whole lot. Makes me want to apply for that SOT status myself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:15:57 PM EDT
Very cool.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:18:34 PM EDT
So you shoot the pistol righty, but the long arms lefty?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:20:14 PM EDT
The G36 felt  little more manageable in FA than M16s I've shot. The UMP45 is pretty cool; with the 2 round burst, you've got an awesome CQB weapon. I wonder how H&K is positioning the UMP vs the MP5. The Glock simply rocks. A friggin handgun on FA with a 33 round mag? That just kicks ass!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:20:59 PM EDT
I absolutely love the UMP45!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:21:49 PM EDT
great pics, tag for videos
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:24:11 PM EDT
That is awesome!  I do have a question, though, what does SOT stand for?  Sorry for the ignorance.

BTW - we have an indoor range here in BR that will rent FA modern MG's for use on their range.  I have shot an MP5, UMP, and a FA Glock.  They all kick ass!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:25:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:33:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Brians_45:
That is awesome!  I do have a question, though, what does SOT stand for?  Sorry for the ignorance.

SOT = Special Occupational Taxpayer. A class III dealer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:51:48 PM EDT
drool...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:30:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By atomicferret:

Meh. I've shot both, and found that I really do prefer the MP5.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:39:37 PM EDT
tag.
maybe I'll post a vid of two g18's..
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:53:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
tag.
maybe I'll post a vid of two g18's..

I've got a video of someone shooting 2 g18s..got it from here, but have no idea which member it is. Is it you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:57:02 PM EDT
Twin shoulder holsters?
Buddy of mine, my FFL dealer
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:16:28 PM EDT
David_Hineline has such a video.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:19:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

I do cause i'm blind in the right eye.  Have to shoot long guns lefty to see the sights, but I can shoot either with a pistol.  I'm right handed by nature, but i've taught myself how to shoot lefty with virtually any gun, I can only do pistols righty.  If I fire a long gun righty, it's basically blind-fire.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:25:59 AM EDT

Noticed that, huh? I'm left-eye dominant. That setup has worked for me, so I go with it...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:39:13 AM EDT

i would sell my soul for any of the following weapons:

1) SAW PARA
2) UMP .45
3) G18

if i had my choice though, i'd probably take the SAW since i'd at least be getting more material for my soul.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:47:25 AM EDT
Are those Steve's? Which range did ya'll go to?

Doc
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:52:59 AM EDT
tag for video
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:04:18 AM EDT
Coooool.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT

I do too...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:23:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Noticed that, huh? I'm left-eye dominant. That setup has worked for me, so I go with it...

I do the same thing, but I'm left handed and right eye dominant, so I shoot rifles righty and pistols lefty...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 8:22:55 AM EDT by spreadfirearms]
DoctorNo wrote:

Are those Steve's? Which range did ya'll go to?

Doc

Doc you have keen observation skills!  i think i have a video of you shooting that Glock 18:

www.spreadfirearms.com/AaronGlock18MagDump.avi

yeah it was a little "extra" upon request of Zhukov for the CHL class, seeing we were already at the range.

we went to the Austin Skeet & Rifle Range......BTW that UMP45 is really cool.  on the 2-rnd burst it is making clean double taps.  got the EOTech 511 w/ the Larue QD mount.

if you got a chance come by the show this weekend.......
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:59:06 AM EDT
Fucker So THIS is what they mean by 'video will follow you forever' (Don't my ex gf's know that one well... )

Steve, you a CHL instructor now? I have a few friends who need to get their shit done.

I guess you were using the far range at Austin skeet (the TCSO one?) - I didn't recognize the lines on the ground. Makes sense since you were doing CHL.

I'd like to check out the UMP. That sounds pretty sexy - and .45 is a much better caliber for a SMG.

I should be around the show sunday afternoon after IDPA, I think.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:39:05 AM EDT

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:41:35 AM EDT
Paging SteyrAUG
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:08:25 PM EDT
Steve Ou is a great guy.  I saw that UMP .45 at his house the other day and have been drooling ever since.  How did you like the TWO round burst?

Debo
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:14:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Irishfly:
Steve Ou is a great guy.  I saw that UMP .45 at his house the other day and have been drooling ever since.  How did you like the TWO round burst?

It's impossible to miss. I think anybody can be a Navy SEAL with that thing.

(just kidding)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:40:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Irishfly:
Debo

Hey you bastard, call me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:40:52 PM EDT
Ouch,  sticks and stones my friend.  If I call you, all you are going to do is tell me about your new piston upper, your new beltfed 22lr upper to go on your M16, and a host of other new toys.  

Phone call inbound in 5 minutes.

Debo
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:43:15 PM EDT
What I won't tell you about is the terrible famine that has been my collection which has been slowly recycled for new gear. And a house. And a car.

This getting old shit is for the birds.

TTY in a few.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:36:40 PM EDT
Zhukov finally got to play with the G36.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 10:08:26 PM EDT by spreadfirearms]
Doc,

yeah i guess i didnt tell you, i took the CHL instructor class back in August.  if you got buddies who want the class send 'em my way.

after the shoot stop on by...that UMP is pretty freakin cool.  i was originally scratching my head about a 2RB on the trigger pack but after thinking i only have 25 in the mag, its not bad at all....and .45 ACP!  like shooting thumbs at the target.

i also have a Galil coming in sometime...from all places... a Kalifornia LE agency.  now WHO uses Galils for LE work?  crazy huh....its an old dept that i used to work with when i was an LEO in CA.....i was in the county S/O and they were the city PD.

and there is a silly history with Zhukov and that G36!

awhile back in the Dallas Market Hall show, i didn't know Zhukov.  he asked to see the G36, i told him he had to be L.E. w/ creds to see it at the show (otherwise i end up playing show and tell and dont ever get to sell guns!)  anyway after he left a buddy of mine told me he was Zhukov.  i was like ooops.

a few months go by and i posted something on here.....he sends me an IM and we talk about him coming by the gun show to handle that G36.  sounds good.

i go to the Remington Armorer School and get back Friday late night, so i have to set up at the Austin gun show Sat. morning and then leave to go get my dog.  i told Zhukov to stop by and finger the G36 lol.  of course i forget to tell my staff who's looking after my stuff that Zhukov is OK.

Zhukov comes by while im gone and asks to see the G36....staff member (dutchman) says sorry you can't unless you are LE.  i come back a few hours later and dutchman says this non-LE guy wanted to see the G36 but i told him sorry...i was like...oops...it was Zhukov.  dammit!

ok i IM him an apology and finally he gets to meet up with me last month and finger it....finally!  then he takes the CHL class and convinces me that i need to bring it out so he can shoot it.....did he do the jedi mind trick on me?  haha....i figure after all that saga he ought to be able to give it a girls' name.

irishfly u and me and doctorno gotta get together and spew some lead somewhere......
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:13:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Originally Posted By atomicferret:

Meh. I've shot both, and found that I really do prefer the MP5.

+1

I liked the MP5k that I got to shoot much better than the UMP40 that I also shot on the same day. Even though the MP5 was smaller, I could control the bursts much better. Even in full-auto happy-go-fun mode, dumping an entire mag, the Mp5 was much better to control.  ahhh, I love class III, too bad its verboten here. That G18 gives me wood!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:57:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By spreadfirearms:
i go to the Remington Armorer School and get back Friday late night, so i have to set up at the Austin gun show Sat. morning and then leave to go get my dog.  i told Zhukov to stop by and finger the G36 lol.  of course i forget to tell my staff who's looking after my stuff that Zhukov is OK.

The verdict's still out on that one. Lots of people might disagree with your assessment actually.

It was kind of a funny story though.

I suppose H&K is advertising the UMP as a lighter weight alternative to the MP5. They probably can't get rid of the MP5 due to its popularity though, so both are in their lineup. I was surprised that the MP5 is only available in 9mm - seems like they could easily expand that to the other two pistol calibers as well. Did you mention the ejection port on the UMP can be swapped? That's another cool feature for lefties. The UMP45 is probably best left on the two round burst setting. The .45 has noticeably more recoil than the 9mm, even in a subgun, and control in FA is more problematic.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:49:56 PM EDT
Neat!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2005 4:52:55 PM EDT by Da_Bunny]
Zhukov, you just SUCK!!!!

Nice toys, though....
Top Top