Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/25/2002 5:17:31 PM EDT
My kid is taking a class, and this was on their discussion board... What I want to know is where did "Pyle " get a rifle with a firing pin in boot camp? They are suppose to have them on the firing range only. And if they did have them the whole time then the D.I. was asking for it:-) Is this true? [argue]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:29:06 PM EDT
At Marine boot camp, all of the rifles have a firing pin at all times, and are also capable of 3 round burst at all times.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:29:33 PM EDT
I went to Parris Island in 1990, but when I got my M16A2 issued, it was complete: firing pin and all. When leaving the rifle range during firing week, all recruits were searched, frisked and wanded to try and keep rounds from finding their way back to the barracks. I have never heard of rifles being issued without firing pins.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:03:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:05:56 PM EDT
wasn't the drill sarg. in FMJ an actual drill sarg in the marine core?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:09:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1911greg: wasn't the drill sarg. in FMJ an actual drill sarg in the marine core?
View Quote
R. Lee Ermey was in fact a United States Marine Corps Drill Instructor. So was Don Knotts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:10:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:14:04 PM EDT
http://www.rleeermey.com/
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:29:09 PM EDT
Heh this thread brings back memories because I liked that movie so much. Wasn't that a really cool movie. I liked the seeing the M14 used alot because I have an M1A. Also the bizarre scenes like where Pyle blows his boss away after going nuts over a period of weeks. Then moving into the war, seeing the squads engage the enemy and the resulting fog and pain thereof was cool also and seemed real as hell. Towards the end the sniper chiccom chic with the AK was really cool especially when she charged the american dude cowering behind the column in the blown out building. I guess what I like the most are seeing the military weapons: AK, M14, SKS. Was there an SKS in the movie?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2002 6:39:52 PM EDT by muzlblast]
Never saw an SKS in the movie but yeah the weapons were cool. The M14 has got to be the most asthetically pleasing rifle ever produced. edited to add an apology to my two ARs. Sorry Girls!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:48:29 PM EDT
I was at PI in 1970 and out M14's were ready to go at all times. When we spent a solid week at the firing range the Drill Instructors watched every round and where it went. They wanted to make sure no one got away with a live round. They were definitely mellower while we were at the range. They even brought a Sunday paper in for us one day. We were afraid to touch it figuring it had to be some kind of test. They just wanted us a little less stress that week due to qualifying and also the fact that we had a loaded twenty round mag.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:56:57 PM EDT
only weapons I've seen on a rack and NOT ready to go were the ones in Nat'l guard armories. There they took the bolt and bolt carrier assy. out and kept it seperate in a serial numbered pouch. (btw, that includes Basic, Active Duty, Reserves and NG.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:03:53 PM EDT
I was at PI in June 81, and we were very careful about ammo in the barracks. We had our footlockers dumped every day so no problem there. Gee, I remember drinking my first soda in a month at the range, senior DI liked how we qualified. Does anybody remember the name of the PI rifle range area? I_run_with_scissors
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:37:27 PM EDT
Weapon's Battalion? I qualed there in 97 on the Hue City Range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:39:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
Originally Posted By 1911greg: wasn't the drill sarg. in FMJ an actual drill sarg in the marine core?
View Quote
R. Lee Ermey was in fact a United States Marine Corps Drill Instructor. So was Don Knotts.
View Quote
Don Knotts??????? As in Barney? I don't believe it! [shock]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:40:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By muzlblast: Never saw an SKS in the movie but yeah the weapons were cool. The M14 has got to be the most asthetically pleasing rifle ever produced. edited to add an apology to my two ARs. Sorry Girls!
View Quote
"Full Metal Jacket" is based on the book "The Short-Timers", by Gustav Hasford. In the novel, the sniper had a SKS with a Dragon scope, IIRC... Scott
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:51:01 PM EDT
When I went thru Cost Guard boot camp in '99, they gave us de-milled Garands to drill with (with ugly plastic furniture [puke]). We only qualed on the range with Berettas, never touched a live rifle the whole 8 weeks. [:(]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:59:31 PM EDT
Don Knotts??????? As in Barney? I don't believe it [that he was a United States Marine Corps Drill Instructor]!
View Quote
He wasn't. He joined the army in 1943. He wasn't even in the "real" army (as my father would have put it). He was in a special service unit. In other words, he performed rather than fought.z
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:29:21 PM EDT
F.M.J....classic movie......Deer Hunter...I grew up on.....Apocolypse Now....good night to trip on.......... The business of WAR is your ass when you sign up......... Robert DeNiro.One Shot...One shot Bobbie!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:48:15 PM EDT
I did not like FMJ. The movie did not show any honor to the military. Like most of the post Vietnam movies of the 70s and 80s it made the soldiers out to be a bunch of psychos. Joker was very anti-military and anti-war. The movie did not do justice to the Battle of Hue. The house to house fighting by the Marines in Hue was one of their finest hours. The movie did not show the real sacrifice paid by brave men. I'm surprised that the people on AR15.com cannot see through the left-wing, Hollywood, America is bad bullshit in the movie.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:18:53 PM EDT
DPeacher, You wouldn't happen to be on the F150 online boards would you? I seen in your signature "Semper Fi" Well if you are a member of those boards my name is Fordman302 on there. Just thought I'd ask.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:12:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Flash66: I did not like FMJ. The movie did not show any honor to the military. Like most of the post Vietnam movies of the 70s and 80s it made the soldiers out to be a bunch of psychos. Joker was very anti-military and anti-war.
View Quote
I think you'll find very few Marines who did not like, if not actually love, FMJ. I knew many in the Corps who were very close to being "psycho". I'm sure I had my moments. >gg< As for anti-military, most enlisted men are a bit jaded, if not downright hostile to the overall military environment. Does that mean they regret joining? Not at all. It does mean they bitch constantly. >gg< Anti-war? So what. War isn't pretty, it isn't glamorous & it isn't glory. It kills your buddies & could very well kill one's ownself. Personally I'm against myself getting killed. >gg< It's clearly a Hollywood portrayal, nothing less & certainly nothing more. Enjoy the funny parts & let the rest go, IMO. My .o2
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:28:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:42:51 PM EDT
Firing pins were not a problem, We secured the bitch to a rack everynight. The problem was keeping private Stokes from smuggling food back to the barracks and having the DI's find it so they could bend the living crap out of us!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2002 11:09:58 PM EDT by Tate]
Flash66 - I agree with you. It wasn't INTENDED to show any honor. My *opinion* follows: BUT - R. Lee Ermey's portrayal of the DI has become a classic, especially for the military rifle enthusiast community. Hardcore. Beautiful. MADE the movie. His part is why I LOVE the movie. [b]BTW[/b] - Has anyone ever noticed RLE's one mistake in the movie? Maybe not his fault, but the line was incorrect and the editors dropped the ball. They are on the obstacle course doing the hand to hand swing thing. The online movie script says: 11 EXT. "ARMSTRETCHER" OBSTACLE--DAY Hand over hand the recruits swing along the "Armstretcher." HARTMAN Ten fucking seconds! It should take you no more than ten fucking seconds to negotiate this obstacle! Quickly, move it out! There ain't one swinging dick private in this pla- toon's gonna graduate until they can get this obstacle down to less than ten fuck- ing seconds! BUT, RLE says "Ten fucking seconds! It should take you no [b]less[/b] than ten fucking seconds to negotiate this obstacle!" In other words, he's admonishing them to do it SLOWER than in ten seconds! picking nits..... Tate
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:16:23 AM EDT
What I want to know is where did "Pyle " get a rifle with a firing pin in boot camp? They are suppose to have them on the firing range only. [argue]
View Quote
Joker and Cowboy helped me out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:58:03 AM EDT
I think Snowball got him the bag of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:02:47 AM EDT
Tate I agree with you. Ermey was great in the movie. He should have won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor that year. However, the movie was making fun of him. You have to remember that a DI's job in 1967 was to turn spoiled baby boomers into soldiers. Their training and discipline was going to make or break them in Vietnam. The movie made light of the seriousness of the effort. The rest of the movie had an eerie feel to it but was as left wing as any movie I have ever seen. In a way it was a slap in the face to the brave Marines who fought the Battle of Hue. I was not at Hue (I was 100 miles away)but the reports I heard was of tremendous bravery. One of the problems the Corp had was with wounded Marines. When brought back to the aid station for wounds they would go AWOL from the station as soon as they were fixed up to return to the battle. Again, tremendous sacrifice and bravery. The movie did not show that bravery. Instead it showed a squad of Marines shooting a 16 year old girl with an AK and bragging about it. The movie made the Marines look foolish for being a part of the Vietnam war effort. Compare the movie to We Were Soldiers, BHD or Saving Private Ryan and you will see the problem I have. I'm getting sick and tired of the leftwing Hollywood crap and have decided to speak up. We can do better with the portrayal of brave fighting men than shit like FMJ or M*A*S*H.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:39:28 PM EDT
i dont think Lee Ermy was funny enough. im sure he was dead on in his portrayal for the time period given he was a DI but there are things you dont realize watching it without having been through PI. for instance there are normally 3-4 DIs working the platoon and sometimes 3-4 DIs killing one recruit. and the Senior is the NICE one!!!! so all the greenbelts playing "games" are not in the movie. plus it wasnt even filmed at PI and doesnt really look anything like PI. see if this sound familiar: push PUSH AYE SIR no i said push PUSH AYE SIR run..run now RUN AYE SIR get those knees up AYE SIR good, dont want to run, push now PUSH AYE SIR fuck my monkey now AYE SIR you put out, you can go away AYE SIR hey myers you think youre putting out NO SIR good then push ahh...goodtimes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:49:08 PM EDT
Flash66 - point well taken. I can see truth in what you are saying - sadly so. Tate
Top Top